Chan Gailey Sure is a Busy Guy

I've known about NFL head coaches sleeping in their offices and spending 110 hour work weeks for years. But this Gailey guy, he doesn't even seem to have time to fit much in even during the off season. Just read some of his quotes:

"Our GM has spoken to him (Marshawn Lynch) I have not talked to him." - I say, why the hell not, Chan? He's only a former number one pick who is still extremely young, and if someone can figure out how to work with this kid, they could have a great running back for the next 8 years or so. Or even on the flip side. If you are too "important" to waste your time reaching out to one of your current players on your roster, just how many other teams are going to be interested in trading for him?

"He's an intelligent football player and I really enjoyed the short time I had with him....(Talking about Tim Tebows' Buffalo workout). What does Gailey mean, "short time" he had with him? Tebow was in Buffalo, working out only for the Buffalo Bills. Jim Kelly took the kid out to dinner. What other more important dinner plans did Chan have that night? Was he glued in front of his TV watching Dancing With The Stars? Was he and Buddy out shooting pool at their favorite honky tonk while Kelly spent "quality time" with a kid that just might end up being drafted by the Bills??

"We just started talking about terminology and implementation of what we're trying to do," Gailey said of his initial meeting with Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm. "I haven't sat down and talked to (the QB's) about the situation. I haven't addressed that yet." That is a quote from TODAYS' Democrat and Chronicle. Here's the link below: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...e-Bills-starter

Wow. So when exactly does Chan expect to "discuss the situation" with the three QB's he allegedly took so much time to study up on the past 3 months? After all, he's made his decision on what to do about the QB situation for his Buffalo Bills, right? He told us in no uncertain terms, he would know what direction he would be going in before free agency started. And here we are, about a month into free agency, and Chan has said nothing to anyone about what he and Nix allegedly decided over a month ago. The same three guys are here, wondering what the hell their roles are going to be, and workouts are starting and we are just a few weeks from the draft.

I guess Mike Holmgren has a different take on "making QB decisions." He dumped both guys from last year's team, and has already brought in two veterans to replace them. Now I'm not saying Delhomme and Wallace will be much better then Quinn or Anderson. But at least Holmgren showed his team that he will not accept the same old same old.

So far in free agency, Buddy Nix has shown we Bills fans that he is prepared to absolutely accept the same old same old from last years' players that currently take up the most important positions on the team. QB - same 3 guys. LT - same injured guys. NT - same 2 undersized DT's. WR - Same guys minus TO. And on top of that, Chan Gailey has been the busiest head coach in the NFL. Too bad nobody knows what the hell he spends all of that time doing.

...sounds like Chan isn't doing things the way you want him to. You could probably email the team as I doubt he comes here for advice...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've known about NFL head coaches sleeping in their offices and spending 110 hour work weeks for years. But this Gailey guy, he doesn't even seem to have time to fit much in even during the off season. Just read some of his quotes:

"Our GM has spoken to him (Marshawn Lynch) I have not talked to him." - I say, why the hell not, Chan? He's only a former number one pick who is still extremely young, and if someone can figure out how to work with this kid, they could have a great running back for the next 8 years or so. Or even on the flip side. If you are too "important" to waste your time reaching out to one of your current players on your roster, just how many other teams are going to be interested in trading for him?

Do you have proof that he hasn't tried to call? Maybe Lynch doesn't answer his phone.

"He's an intelligent football player and I really enjoyed the short time I had with him....(Talking about Tim Tebows' Buffalo workout). What does Gailey mean, "short time" he had with him? Tebow was in Buffalo, working out only for the Buffalo Bills. Jim Kelly took the kid out to dinner. What other more important dinner plans did Chan have that night? Was he glued in front of his TV watching Dancing With The Stars? Was he and Buddy out shooting pool at their favorite honky tonk while Kelly spent "quality time" with a kid that just might end up being drafted by the Bills??

Again, you know Gailey wasn't there? Since none of us has seen the guest list, all we have is Jill Kelly's tweet and John Wawrow's subsequent confirmation through Kelly's office ... and the eyewitness account posted on this board, which mentioned Kelly AND some unnamed Bills officials. Would that poster be able to recognize Gailey? Who knows?

And speaking of the "short time," maybe he meant the fact that Tebow has umpteen other teams to visit.

Please can we wait until they put on a pad or draft someone before we pass judgement? Its MARCH people

Yeah...its March and he hasn't done anything. There is a lot that could have been (should have been done) by now and isn't being done, but its not earth shattering as he still has time to make some significant corrections. The proof is nine or more wins next year. Anything under nine he should be shown the door.

"We just started talking about terminology and implementation of what we're trying to do," Gailey said of his initial meeting with Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm. "I haven't sat down and talked to (the QB's) about the situation. I haven't addressed that yet." That is a quote from TODAYS' Democrat and Chronicle. Here's the link below: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...e-Bills-starter

Wow. So when exactly does Chan expect to "discuss the situation" with the three QB's he allegedly took so much time to study up on the past 3 months? After all, he's made his decision on what to do about the QB situation for his Buffalo Bills, right? He told us in no uncertain terms, he would know what direction he would be going in before free agency started. And here we are, about a month into free agency, and Chan has said nothing to anyone about what he and Nix allegedly decided over a month ago. The same three guys are here, wondering what the hell their roles are going to be, and workouts are starting and we are just a few weeks from the draft.

I guess Mike Holmgren has a different take on "making QB decisions." He dumped both guys from last year's team, and has already brought in two veterans to replace them. Now I'm not saying Delhomme and Wallace will be much better then Quinn or Anderson. But at least Holmgren showed his team that he will not accept the same old same old.

So far in free agency, Buddy Nix has shown we Bills fans that he is prepared to absolutely accept the same old same old from last years' players that currently take up the most important positions on the team. QB - same 3 guys. LT - same injured guys. NT - same 2 undersized DT's. WR - Same guys minus TO. And on top of that, Chan Gailey has been the busiest head coach in the NFL. Too bad nobody knows what the hell he spends all of that time doing.

I think you're overreacting. The QB spot is going to be an open competition - they've been saying that for a while. He obviously just dodged that question about Marshawn because he didn't want to say what was really on his mind about it (which was probably something too obscene to mention even here). They probably will draft a QB was well - they have been saying they'll add another one too. Free Agency was actually pretty productive considering who was available and what we got. Also, it's not over, not to mention the draft. We'll get 9 more bodies in here - hopefully 3 or 4 seriously talented ones - to plug some holes. They still need to fill some holes, but I expect them to fill them for the most part. Just a little Patience.

Really?? How can he be coaching the !@#$ing team when apparently he has not even had time to talk to most of his players since he came on board 4 freakin' months ago??? As a head coach in the NFL, since you are so much more of an expert then I, how many months would you wait before you got off your arrogant ass and actually spoke to the players you inherited on your team? 6 months? 8 months? The day before training camp begins??

I hope you find your posting theraputic for yourself. However, no matter how irate you get, you can't do a thing about what happens at OBD.

I'm curious...when your wife asks you what you did with the boys, do you tell her that you were at a strip club slipping $20's into g-strings? No? Is it because it's not always a good idea to tell people everything that you are doing or thinking?

I rest my case.

PTR

Really?? How can he be coaching the !@#$ing team when apparently he has not even had time to talk to most of his players since he came on board 4 freakin' months ago??? As a head coach in the NFL, since you are so much more of an expert then I, how many months would you wait before you got off your arrogant ass and actually spoke to the players you inherited on your team? 6 months? 8 months? The day before training camp begins??

This statement is pure speculation. I can almost asure you Gailey has talked with alot of his players. Probably one of the first thing he did....

But again just speculation on my part....

Holmgren is not the coach.

"Chan Gailey Sure is a Busy Guy"

Well Duh??? :D:rolleyes:

Apparently, the original poster must have access to his itinerary, dinner companions, and phone records (to know who he has or hasn't tried to contact).

Here's a thought for you. It is called my "opinion." I don't know what I'm talking about? Look up the answer Gailey gave the media when they asked how long he planned on taking to evaluate his most important position on the team. You will find many different places that all have him saying something along the lines of "...I will know by the start of free agency what direction we will be heading with the QB situation."...

So, since you are so much smarter then me - please tell what direction Chan and Buddy are heading with the all important QB situation? So far, it looks a lot like Jauron's direction from this time last year, doesn't it?

It's called sarcasm. Look it up since you are so brilliant. And by the way read my post. I never claimed to be smarter than you. I just happen to disagree with your brilliant "opinion". Deal with it.

Why thank you. Go ahead and blah blah blah my biggest pile of horse dung post all you want. I'm not sure what Bills team you've been watching the past 10 years, but the one I've been watching has SUCKED. Wilson cleans house for the third time over those 10 years and now you think it's just great to watch Buddy and Chan "take their time and build slowly through the draft". Sorry, but I don't have that kind of patience anymore. There was plenty of talent available that could have had an immediate impact on the field THIS SEASON when free agency started March 1st. Nix ignored those guys. He doesn't need them on his team.

Well, he better have the best damn draft in Bills history in a few weeks, or another 7-9-0 season will be your next biggest pile of horse dung you'll have to whine about come January!

Don't get me wrong, I can sympathize, but I believe in your statement: "now you think it's just great to watch Buddy and Chan 'take their time and build slowly through the draft'. Sorry, but I don't have that kind of patience anymore" indicates that it's their philosophy and approach to the solution of making this team and winning organization again as the REAL issue for you not so much that Gailey doesn't seem any closer to a QB decision. It's just my perspective of trying to read between the lines of your frustration but that maybe more the case. Which, is a different discussion.

I would prefer to build through the draft and recognize that rarely in football does a team go out in FA and sign big named, high priced, free agents and immediately get better when their ENTIRE organization and team is in disarray. If the Bills were just a player or two away from being a Super Bowl contender, ala the Vikes or Jets, I'd say break the bank and get er done....but we're not. So, instead of giving up multiple draft picks or spending a lot of money and comitting revenue to players that aren't going to make a significant difference when eventually there WILL be a salary cap again, I dont see the logic in that...but that's me. I would prefer the Bills to trade Lynch, Whitner and Schobel for draft picks, and trade down from the 9 spot and get as much value in the draft this year and next to rebuild the foundation of youth and talent for the future because barring a miracle, the Bills are two very good drafts away from being a contender.....no matter how many Free Agents we bring in.....just a thought

I heard Chan personally took down every one of the TV's in the weight room. EVERY. LAST. ONE. And as he was leaving, he leaned back in the room and shouted: "Now that's coaching!"

Maybe the players were watching too much cable news and getting into fights.

:thumbsup: