Jason Peters ripped for his poor play in Philly last year

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder fans of other teams hate us. We even trash the rare probowlers that this team develops. No wonder nobody wants to play here.

Yeah that's it. Players stay away because we might criticize them. :rolleyes:

Look, Peters is an okay LT but he was only marginally better than D.Bell. Then add to that how he quit on his team. Rule #1: You don't reward players who quit on you. Period.

Rule #2: If you break the bank on a player you better be damn sure he is going to play at an elite level. I know you think the NFL is played with monopoly money but $10+M /yr is like 9% of the salary cap...ON ONE PLAYER! If I pay someone that kind of money they better walk on water.

The Bills crime was not effectively replacing Peters, though they did get a great player in Wood. Meanwhile Philly just overspent on a player who gave up 7 sacks and came up really small at the end of the year. Peters will NEVER be worth elite money because he is all about himself. Those kinds of players never amount to jack squat. If it weren't for jock sniffers like you, no one would care about them.

PTR

I was listening to Sirius Radio coming in to work today and they were talking about the Donovan McNabb trade situation. Randy Cross ( former NFL O-Lineman) and Carl Banks ( Former Giants LB) were saying that McNabb's O-Line last year couldn't play dead at times.

Then Cross made a point to say that if you had to rely on Jason Peters to keep you off the ground, you might want to go ahead and lay down before the snap, because he was awfull. Carl Banks laughed and agreed.

Thought this would be a nice FYI for those who are always saying that the Bills lost out on the Peters trade, and you don't trade a franchise left tackle in the prime of his career. Peters hasn't played well since 2007, and now that Philly has lined his pockets with franchise LT money, he may never play well again.

Stop being obsessed with him being voted into the popularity bowl.

I agree but we still should have only accepted Phillys top 1st rounder - which every fan was POed about right after the trade. That would have allowed us to grab Orakpo and Oher, I mean Maybin and Oher.... we would have taken Oher... right?

That's the problem with Peters. He probably wasn't concerned with his performance, because he got paid, and again undeservedly got voted to the Pro Bowl.

Use that link Thurman, click on "2008," and see where they rank Peters. Then look at "QB s(ac)k." They ranked him (tied for) 44th and said he gave up 13 sacks.

Doc...Not that this single source of information of questionable accuracy is gospel but I don't even need to look at the link to know you are misrepresenting the facts. Seeing as how their are only 32 starting LTs in the league I know you have included ALL tackles. Where does Peters rank as a LT? That being said.....PRO BOWL. Don't question the ruler when you don't like the measurement!

Doc...Not that this single source of information of questionable accuracy is gospel but I don't even need to look at the link to know you are misrepresenting the facts. Seeing as how their are only 32 starting LTs in the league I know you have included ALL tackles. Where does Peters rank as a LT? That being said.....PRO BOWL. Don't question the ruler when you don't like the measurement!

Thurm is the one touting that link, PD. You can't cherry pick and say that the good stats are legit while the bad ones are bogus. And the Pro Bowl has nowhere near the clout it once did.

Yeah that's it. Players stay away because we might criticize them. :rolleyes:

Prima dona players care nothing about the adulation of the crowd and fans....check!

Look, Peters is an okay LT but he was only marginally better than D.Bell.

Sir!....you discredit your self with statements like this. Couldn't be more wrong. You are a buffoon. Peters ability to remember the FREAKIN SNAP COUNT alone makes him light years better than Bell.

Then add to that how he quit on his team. Rule #1: You don't reward players who quit on you. Period.

Patently untrue speculation. Your claims get more outlandish by the day. You have 0% proof of any of this. You should be ashamed!!! The NFL is a business. Get used to it. Stop whining about contract negotiating tactics. Apparently the front office was blameless in this one according to you.

Rule #2: If you break the bank on a player you better be damn sure he is going to play at an elite level. I know you think the NFL is played with monopoly money but $10+M /yr is like 9% of the salary cap...ON ONE PLAYER! If I pay someone that kind of money they better walk on water.

Uh....3 time probowler at the second most important position on offense and potentially the team .....uh....sooo....ya

The Bills crime was not effectively replacing Peters, though they did get a great player in Wood.

This is perhaps the most ridiculous statement of all. The guy was a rookie who couldn't stay healthy for the whole year and the Peters haters are already anointing him as a GREAT player. Bill Parcells would WHOOP your ass making a statement like that about a rookie just because you hate the guy that you traded away to get the draft pick for him.

Meanwhile Philly just overspent on a player who gave up 7 sacks and came up really small at the end of the year. Peters will NEVER be worth elite money because he is all about himself. Those kinds of players never amount to jack squat. If it weren't for jock sniffers like you, no one would care about them.

LOL. Well certainly hurling unsubstantiated claims seems to be your forte. Personal insults definitely help to make your ridiculous assertions more believable to the fans who weren't able to make it past the 6th grade. Seems like Philly has been a much better organization than ours for many years soooooo...who's strategy produces winners? I think I'll go with the philosophy of a winning organization over the "10 years gone" losing Bills front office.

PTR

"Keep it classy" Promo

Thurm is the one touting that link, PD. You can't cherry pick and say that the good stats are legit while the bad ones are bogus. And the Pro Bowl has nowhere near the clout it once did.

According to people who hate Peters. I should just make this my signature. "Don't question the ruler just because you don't like the measurement." The pro bowl is still an affirmation of being the best at your position. The problem is the players don't want to risk injury. Not to mention moving it to the week before the Super Bowl was just DUMB!!!

According to people who hate Peters. I should just make this my signature. "Don't question the ruler just because you don't like the measurement." The pro bowl is still an affirmation of being the best at your position. The problem is the players don't want to risk injury. Not to mention moving it to the week before the Super Bowl was just DUMB!!!

All I need to do is see how Peters performed in the Eagles-Cowboys playoff game, PD. You can have all the Pro Bowl noms you want, but if you perform like that in the playoffs, it means diddly.

Yeah, two guys who watched the highlights, and the argument is over.

Look at the stats and the season instead.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Last year, he was the sixth best pass blocker in the league, and the only reason he wasn't much better was that he was gimping around on an injured ankle for 3 or 4 games, yet playing because they needed him. Before his injury in the fifth game of the year, he was listed as the 3rd best overall tackle.

Among other results of that trade, it is extremely likely to cause us to use our #9 draft pick to replace Peters and therefore preventing us from getting Spiller, Dan Williams, McClain, or another potential difference maker.

Worst trade we've made in years.

Those ratings are crap...they have Free and Deim rated worse than Peters..if you watched any games for yourself you will see how well Deim and Free played last year...and the only reason everyone's upset about Peters being gone is because of the GLARING weakness at OT that we ended up with...but Peters' play had deteriorated and the trade was fine with me...

All I need to do is see how Peters performed in the Eagles-Cowboys playoff game, PD. You can have all the Pro Bowl noms you want, but if you perform like that in the playoffs, it means diddly.

Well certainly a man's career and worth as a player should be judged on one game alone!!!! :rolleyes:

Those ratings are crap...they have Free and Deim rated worse than Peters..if you watched any games for yourself you will see how well Deim and Free played last year...and the only reason everyone's upset about Peters being gone is because of the GLARING weakness at OT that we ended up with...but Peters' play had deteriorated and the trade was fine with me...

Peters has had a string of injuries. I wonder if people will be so critical of Wood when he tries to make his comeback to football.

Hey an unproven rookie guard with a severly broken leg that will miss all off season and might not ever be the same player and a TE that couldn't crack the staring line up for a 3 time pro bowl LT.....sure sounds like a good deal to me. :rolleyes:

This is why the Bills have stunk for so many years. If you think getting rid of pro bowlers makes our team better you deserve our 10+ year record of failure.

I said i liked what we got..two players with big upsides..for an overpaid LT who didn't want to be here....no one could predict an injury either. Who's to say JP doesn't go down next year? Does that now make it a bad trade for Philly? Its also very telling how JP held out knowing what it was doing to the team. Then he came in out of shape. He had 3 FREAKING years left on his contract. Come to camp and work out a new deal. He put self before team, BIG TIME.. And newsflash...his play in Philly was not pro bowl caliber. 3 time pro bowler my arse. Seems to me we lost with this guy the same as we did without him.

Peters has had a string of injuries. I wonder if people will be so critical of Wood when he tries to make his comeback to football.

Why are you hanging around here? Why aren't you in an NFL personnel department? You are wasting a gift.

PTR

Wood broke his league in a game. Peters pulled a hamstring in training camp because he was out of shape.

Peters is one of the best run blocking OTs in the NFL. He is an average pass blocker. He always has some injury bothering him. His conditioning is poor and he's not very smart. As a result, he will always struggle with consistency. In no shape or form is an elite LT or worth $10 million. He put his teammates' health in 2008 because of his own selfish needs. He had one of the worst seasons of an olinemen ever. And people want to reward this behavior with a $10 million contract??? Are you out of your mind?

Bottomline, Peters is completely overrated. He is talented, no doubt, but is not someone I would feel comfortable investing huge money. The Eagles had a wrose season and McNabb got sacked 10 more times than the previous one. I'll take Wood, Shawn Nelson (a possible franchise tight end), and a 6th for Peters.

Now the Bills need to find a better replacement. If we draft Oher, no one cares about Peters and laugh that we have a better oline than the Eagles. I just pray that Bulaga slips. If we draft him, I'll take our oline over the Eagles any day of the week.

I said i liked what we got..two players with big upsides..for an overpaid LT who didn't want to be here....no one could predict an injury either. Who's to say JP doesn't go down next year? Does that now make it a bad trade for Philly? Its also very telling how JP held out knowing what it was doing to the team. Then he came in out of shape. He had 3 FREAKING years left on his contract. Come to camp and work out a new deal. He put self before team, BIG TIME.. And newsflash...his play in Philly was not pro bowl caliber. 3 time pro bowler my arse. Seems to me we lost with this guy the same as we did without him.

People seem to have forgotten that Peters was under contract as a RT!!! That is of PARAMOUNT importance. They gave Peters a modest RT contract after realizing as coach Mouse McNally said that Peters was a rare talent. If I am not mistaken he also made mention of hall of fame Anthony Munoz a former TE. As his star was rising we moved him to LT where he played for 2 and a half years making the pro bowl twice and STILL PAID AS A RT!!!! If you get a huge promotion at work and don't get the pay check to go with it you are an idiot. I can't blame Peters for doing the same thing any of us would.

Peters was not over paid as as people have forgotten had a string of injuries and off season groin surgery. As you say no one could predict the injury. Everyone seems to forget that although Peters wasn't his absolute best due to injury he was still a probowler.

Also I am so sick of whiny people saying the pro bowl means nothing. Your opinion means nothing if you can't recognize being acknowledge by players, coaches and GMs for being the best at your position stands for something. Don't question the ruler if you don't like the measurement.

So lets get this straight.........

1) No name meaning less person in forum thinks Peters is over rated.

1) Players, coaches and GMs think he is one of the best and voted him to pro bowl

Therefore

3) 3 consecutive Probowl nominations and the opinion of actual NFL players, coaches and GMs mean nothing and the pro bowl is a popularity contest.

Is that what you really expect intelligent fans to believe???????

Wood broke his league in a game. Peters pulled a hamstring in training camp because he was out of shape.

Peters is one of the best run blocking OTs in the NFL. He is an average pass blocker. He always has some injury bothering him. His conditioning is poor and he's not very smart. As a result, he will always struggle with consistency. In no shape or form is an elite LT or worth $10 million. He put his teammates' health in 2008 because of his own selfish needs. He had one of the worst seasons of an olinemen ever. And people want to reward this behavior with a $10 million contract??? Are you out of your mind?

Bottomline, Peters is completely overrated. He is talented, no doubt, but is not someone I would feel comfortable investing huge money. The Eagles had a wrose season and McNabb got sacked 10 more times than the previous one. I'll take Wood, Shawn Nelson (a possible franchise tight end), and a 6th for Peters.

Now the Bills need to find a better replacement. If we draft Oher, no one cares about Peters and laugh that we have a better oline than the Eagles. I just pray that Bulaga slips. If we draft him, I'll take our oline over the Eagles any day of the week.

We will continue to disagree that Peters is over rated. His injury may or may not have something to do with his 2008 hold out. Honesty neither of us know the answer to that one. His groin surgery, however, was BEFORE the 2009 season. His hold out at the beginning of the 2009 season had nothing to do with this injury.

Sooo...basically we traded a now 3 time probowl LT for a gimpy unproven rookie Guard a TE who couldn't crack the starting lineup AND.....AND on top of that we have to spend the #9 pick this year to get a serviceable LT?

Simple yes or no question which guarantees you wont answer me ....but does that sound like a good deal to you??

We will continue to disagree that Peters is over rated. His may or may not have something to do with his hold out but he has his surgery BEFORE the 2009 season. His hold out at the beginning of the 2009 season had nothing to do with this injury.

Sooo...basically we traded a now 3 time probowl LT for a gimpy unproven rookie Guard a TE who couldn't crack the starting lineup AND.....AND on top of that we have to spend the #9 pick this year to get a serviceable LT?

Simple yes or no question which guarantees you wont answer me ....but does that sound like a good deal to you??

Peters, IMO, isn't an elite LT and isn't worth the money he is getting. He is a good LT but will always struggle to be consistently good. And to pay someone after his terrible 2008 is a terrible message to the franchise.

I have zero problems with trading Peters. The problem was with the plan to replace him. But really, what did we lose? We only won 5 games with Peters starting 2008 (he didn't start the opener and DEN games). We won 6 this year. The Eagles went to the Championship game last year; they lost in the wildcard game this year.

LT is an overrated position. With the new rules to allow for more passing, it is harder to rush the QB. The last 4 Super Bowl teams have featured average, journeymen type LTs.

The question is whether Peters is overpaid period (meaning no one is worth that money) or overpaid based on his expected performance and, ancillary to that, did the Bills come out winners or losers in the trade.

Assuming for a moment that ProFootballFocus.com has accurate rankings (I'm making no judgment either way), then Philly did overpay for him simply because he was expected to be much better. Nevertheless, he still ranked way ahead of any of the Bills linemen (Hangartner was the Bills highest ranked lineman as the 27th best center).

Since Levitre and Wood were rookies, I think it's unfair to judge this trade just yet. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills get hosed in the end, but I'm still reserving judgment until I see if Levitre and Wood can pick it up a notch.

Incidentally I find it interesting that our "big free agent" signing on offense so far has been Cornell Green who, according to these rankings, isn't much better than what we have (and note that Michael Oher ranked one behind Peters at 19).

QUOTE (PDaDdy @ Mar 26 2010, 01:00 PM)

We will continue to disagree that Peters is over rated. His may or may not have something to do with his hold out but he has his surgery BEFORE the 2009 season. His hold out at the beginning of the 2009 season had nothing to do with this injury.

Peters, IMO, isn't an elite LT and isn't worth the money he is getting. He is a good LT but will always struggle to be consistently good. And to pay someone after his terrible 2008 is a terrible message to the franchise.

I have zero problems with trading Peters. The problem was with the plan to replace him. But really, what did we lose? We only won 5 games with Peters starting 2008 (he didn't start the opener and DEN games). We won 6 this year. The Eagles went to the Championship game last year; they lost in the wildcard game this year.

LT is an overrated position. With the new rules to allow for more passing, it is harder to rush the QB. The last 4 Super Bowl teams have featured average, journeymen type LTs.

Although I completely disagree A simple yes to my question above would have sufficed. Heh heh.

I dare say you also make the mistake that many, including myself at one time, used to make. Any time you try to take an entire teams record and use it as proof of how good or how bad one individual is you have already missed the point and any conclusions made thereafter are faulty.