Wikipedia down...NO!!!

buffaloaggie

Forget that..what about all the school children that steal material from it, put it into this or that report, claim it as their own, and get those fat GPAs? :thumbdown:

Not much difference from when they copied encyclopedia articles back when I was young. Or copied straight from the cave walls back when you were in school. It's just a little bit easier now.

;) I'm just bustin' your stones AJ. I'm sure at one time you cared.

:thumbdown: yeah man, i can tell. If I could make a living at it I'd totally care. An adjunct makes about $2K per class per semester. A full course load plus summer sessions gets me $20K before taxes. $100,000 in student loans for a $20,000 job.

sob story!

5th grade, I wrote a 20 page paper on Lincoln. By basically paraphrasing an entire book I read about him.

In 4th grade I wrote a 3-4 page paper on Balboa by basically copying most of what was in the encyclopedia. Teacher asked me to read the first page of my paper in front of the class. I did so proudly. Then she called up another kid to read the first page of his paper on Balboa.

They were pretty much the same word-for-word. She had already read both papers and set us up to make an example of us in front of the class. :thumbdown:

IMO Wikipedia is good for skimming very basic, general information. To use it properly, you need to pay attention to the warnings and use the actual linked resource instead of the Wiki article itself. IMO it is a great collection of links with a general summary of them.

There are tons of issues with it, you have bias creeping in as some editors hog pages and control all content. Of course, any encyclopedia is exempt from such bias. If in doubt, check the talk pages and the logs. I admit there are tons of biased articles, but there are few quite a few non biased sources available.

Despite my many doubts about Wikipedia as the source they claim to be, it is terribly useful.

In 4th grade I wrote a 3-4 page paper on Balboa by basically copying most of what was in the encyclopedia. Teacher asked me to read the first page of my paper in front of the class. I did so proudly. Then she called up another kid to read the first page of his paper on Balboa.

Yo Adrian!

They were pretty much the same word-for-word. She had already read both papers and set us up to make an example of us in front of the class. :(

Why did you do a report on an island in Newport Beach? :ph34r:

IMO Wikipedia is good for skimming very basic, general information. To use it properly, you need to pay attention to the warnings and use the actual linked resource instead of the Wiki article itself. IMO it is a great collection of links with a general summary of them.

There are tons of issues with it, you have bias creeping in as some editors hog pages and control all content. Of course, any encyclopedia is exempt from such bias. If in doubt, check the talk pages and the logs. I admit there are tons of biased articles, but there are few quite a few non biased sources available.

Despite my many doubts about Wikipedia as the source they claim to be, it is terribly useful.

That's what I use it for. The links for each page are great, so when you find something that you want to use you can open up that article or link that wikipedia uses. It works well.

Depends on how clever the kid is. Smarter ones never quote verbatim.

Problem: Many phrases that people type, words, people who don't haunt Wiki at all, can be caught and assumed to be a plagiarist. How does one work through that?

What is the fate of the person that reads up on something, only to be told that some Wiki thing was published independent of the kid's work?

I guess im one of the smarter ones :blink: