Anyone have a negative eBay selling experience?

Fezmid

Has anyone ever had a negative experience selling a product on eBay?

I had a high-end film scanner that I bought 4-5 years ago. It worked great, but has been sitting on my desk unused for the past couple of years. I looked on eBay, saw that it actually appreciated in value (because Nikon doesn't sell it anymore and the thing rocks), so decided to list it so I could afford a new Gitzo tripod instead.

I clearly put on the auction that I do not accept returns. It's a piece of computer hardware and I have no idea what the end user is going to do to it, or whether they're going to accidentally damage it, know how to use it, etc, etc. The guy who won the auction even asked me ahead of time whether I accepted returns and I told him that I do not -- but that I've tested the scanner and it works just fine before I listed it.

The guy who asked about returns ended up winning the auction, and he requested extra insurance -- so I did it (at no cost to him since it was only a few bucks). He receives the scanner and in a couple of days sends me a lengthy email about how the scanner does scan sometimes, but occasionally gives him errors that sound like they're hardware related - autofocus errors, complaining about the film being too short or too long, etc. He also said that there's always two lines on every frame he's scanned -- although that's clearly not true on some of the examples he sent me.

I've tried working with him over the past couple of weeks to help find solutions. His PC is over 3 years old, there are many links that say Nikon scanners don't work well if you also have other USB devices connected, or if you have old all-in-one drivers installed, etc ,etc. I'm not sure if he's understanding that, and finally today he says he wants a refund and wants me to eat the ~$100 of shipping/ebay/paypal feels I'm out from this transaction.

Since the scanner worked fine when I shipped it, and he's claiming it's just inconsistently not working (for all I know he's already scanned everything he needed to and just wants a full refund because of that), does anyone know what eBay will do if he files a dispute? There's a reason I put "no returns" - because I didn't want to deal with this crap, and the penalty I took for that statement was a loss of cash; all of the other scanners were selling for $2000-$2500, whereas mine only sold for $1700.

I suppose I could accept a return, pay a few hundred to have Nikon fix it (if it's really broken) and sell it again, but frankly I just don't want to be bothered. In addition, I'm already out ~$100, and will lose another $100 when I sell it again, so I could end up just breaking even on it.

I've been on eBay since '98 and have a 100% feedback rating, so this is rather upsetting. Anyone have a similar experience? How'd it turn out?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd tell him to f--- off (in a much nicer way of course). So you'll only have a 99% rating; big deal. That's not gonna scare off any future bidders.

I'm just worried about what happens if he files some sort of dispute with eBay/PayPal -- are they going to try and take my money?

I've already unlinked my bank account and credit card, so they can't do it as a surprise I guess. But still a little nervous about that part of it.

if he leaves negative feedback, you are able to send a reply explaining your side and it should appear with the complaint....like someone said...100% - 99% isn't going to cause any distress, especially if you defend your position

My concern is that you said it worked fine when you shipped it but you also said you had not used it for a couple of years. How much testing did you do on it before you shpped it to him and did you disclose the fact that it had not been used for a couple of years in your listing?

Probably should have used the old "as is" tag line. that's how a lot of sellers get around selling stuff that most of the time does not work. Not saying you did this intentionally, but it usually is cut and dry when it's sold as is. Not hat it does you any good now, but if you sell a lot, you really don't want any negative feedback. So it's a tough call on your part...

My concern is that you said it worked fine when you shipped it but you also said you had not used it for a couple of years. How much testing did you do on it before you shpped it to him and did you disclose the fact that it had not been used for a couple of years in your listing?

I tested a couple of scans before shipping and it worked fine. It was also stated that it was 4-5 years old.

I tested a couple of scans before shipping and it worked fine. It was also stated that it was 4-5 years old.

But he says sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and did you mention in your listing that it hadn't been used in a couple of years. That's really just a conscience thing for me that I may have sold damaged goods. Ebay is buyer beware and you said no refunds so you're cool. I'd never buy any electronics via Ebay that was non-returnable. That's his poor judgement.

Actually, you are screwed. Under Ebay/paypal, he can get a refund up to 45 days after the purchase if he just files a claim and says it is different than what was listed. It doesn't matter if you say no returns, as-is, or whatever. It's happened to me both as a seller and as a buyer.

The buyer will have to send it back to you but you will be charged-back for the full price + shipping that the seller paid. The buyer has to pay the shipping to return it to you.

I called Paypal to complain the first time it happened to me but I got nowhere with them.

You can negotiate with the buyer to keep it and you can give a partial credit.

The only thing that helped me once is that the buyer decided to keep the item rather than having to pay the $30 to ship it back to me. I think that he was just trying to extort a partial credit from me.

Doesn't seem fair but that is part of the price of doing business on ebay.

Good thing it wasn't a car Fez... Sure there is no ghost in the machine... ;);)

I jest, I jest... Just funning around with you. :thumbdown:

Something like a scanner has got to be the worst thing to sell and have work properly... Especially an old one... I have a nice high-end one from many years ago, the thing is great. Has both SCSI connection and USB... YET, I am the only one that can work it in the family... I just bit the bullet and bought my wife an Epson all-in-one (Artisan 810)... They had it regulary priced at Staples for 299 an marked down to 199. I then dug up an old broked printer we had from about 15 years ago and turned that in... They gave me 50 bucks off... You should have seen the looks on their face. Still got a 300 dollar printer for 150.

Wanna know what I think? Well, too bad, you're gonna find out. I'm thinking similar to Ray Finkle, that the buyer had a project to do, bought your scanner on the cheap, got project done, now wants to get his money back. So he'll use the "intermittent problems" as the reason to return it.

One more thing...you will be refunded the ebay and paypal fees if the guy sends it back.

That's good to know at least... I'm less concerned about the return now at least. But I'll be out shipping costs, right?

Wanna know what I think? Well, too bad, you're gonna find out. I'm thinking similar to Ray Finkle, that the buyer had a project to do, bought your scanner on the cheap, got project done, now wants to get his money back. So he'll use the "intermittent problems" as the reason to return it.

Maybe... Although I do think he might really be having an issue -- but I think it's software related personally.

That's good to know at least... I'm less concerned about the return now at least. But I'll be out shipping costs, right?

Maybe... Although I do think he might really be having an issue -- but I think it's software related personally.

Or is it a ghost in the machine...

:ph34r:

Unfortunately, paypal sides with the buyer all the time. However if you refund his money through paypal correctly, you will get the paypal fees back and the ebay fees back, you will just be out the shipping, I would negotiate with him and tell him you'll eat half the shipping costs as you clearly stated no refunds allowed.

Yes, you will be out the shipping costs. But the buyer will have to pay the shipping to return it to you. This might give him an incentive to keep it. The policy really sucks for sellers. But if you buy stuff on ebay, keep it in mind if you are ever unhappy with an item. Just file a complaint and you can return it even if the seller stated no returns, sales final or whatever. Also, sellers can no longer give negative feedback, so I never hesitate to send back if I find something wrong with an item.

Yes, you will be out the shipping costs. But the buyer will have to pay the shipping to return it to you. This might give him an incentive to keep it. The policy really sucks for sellers. But if you buy stuff on ebay, keep it in mind if you are ever unhappy with an item. Just file a complaint and you can return it even if the seller stated no returns, sales final or whatever. Also, sellers can no longer give negative feedback, so I never hesitate to send back if I find something wrong with an item.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore....?!

I might have to reconsider working on eBay in the future. Seems like it's easy for buyers to scam people now. While researching this last night, I even read that buyers just need to prove that they sent a package - not that they sent the actual item back. WTF?

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore....?!

I might have to reconsider working on eBay in the future. Seems like it's easy for buyers to scam people now. While researching this last night, I even read that buyers just need to prove that they sent a package - not that they sent the actual item back. WTF?

A lot of people stopped doing business on ebay for this reason. a Buyer has nothing to lose for acting like a moron, where a seller has a reputation to uphold.

As someone who has sold a number of items on eBay and Amazon, I would advise you just to take the item back. If he was really scamming you, then I would doubt that he would go to the trouble of paying the shipping and sending you the item back. Sellers runs into this all the time. Retailers certainly do. Retailers often have to take customers at their word on returns, even if the customers are clearly full of it.

You said no refunds, but you didn't disclaim all warranties (there are implied warranties under the law) or sell it "as is." Perhaps you would win if this was ever hashed out, but you might not. You admit that he might be having the problem he is describing. There is nothing indicating that he is lying to you besides the fact that you tested a few times before shipping it out.

It sucks, but this is part of the cost of selling items. Just because you sell something on eBay doesn't mean that you escape these sorts of hassles.

The guy could file a dispute with PayPal and win. If you fight him, he may get the money back and you get negative feedback. Why not just take the item back, get your fees refunded, refund him, test it again and resell the item with a higher price to compensate you for the trouble that you might face in future. Perhaps make a point of disclaiming all warranties and selling the item "as is" in the next listing.