Anyone have a negative eBay selling experience?

Fezmid

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did something similar to Fez's buyer. I had a project that required a legal size scanner. Bought one off ebay, got my work done, then I resold it on ebay. Guess I'm just a little more honest.

Nothing wrong with that. Bought and sold it, not borrowed.

Fez, if you are so convinced there is no issue with this scanner, simply get it back and re-sell it IF you test it and it does indeed work.

Nothing wrong with that. Bought and sold it, not borrowed.

Fez, if you are so convinced there is no issue with this scanner, simply get it back and re-sell it IF you test it and it does indeed work.

FYI - I accepted the return the other day. Guy shipped it to me today, so we'll see what happens...

He shipped it via USPS, which annoyed me a bit at first, but then I realized I wouldn't have to take off work - I could go to the post office to pick it up - so that ends up being cool.

Does anyone know if the buyer is required to have signature confirmation like I was when sending it to him? I hope he did -- I don't want the scanner sitting on my front step all day....

let's hope he didn't tear it up now

Yeah... I'm also very concerned as the USPS website says the only services purchased were "Delivery confirmation." He didn't purchase insurance nor did he purchase signature required according to the site... Since I was required by eBay to purchase those services to ship it to him, you'd think the opposite would be true as well. On the other hand, if it gets lost I'd say I'm off the hook since there would be no confirmation that Ir received it. Fingers crossed that it goes fine.

The saga continues!!! :angry:

So last time we met, I told everyone that I agreed to take the scanner back (despite the fact that I know it worked). Dude shipped it back via USPS without delivery confirmation.

I've since found that if I were to say I never received it - he'd be out his money because eBay/PayPal require signatures on anything valued over $250. I actually did receive it yesterday though, and despite the devil on my shoulder telling me to screw the guy, my parents raised me to do the right thing. :worthy::w00t:

So yesterday I connected the scanner up to my PC, reinstalled the software (I built a new water-cooled PC and reinstalled my old PC for my wife), booted it up... And everything worked fine. Just like I predicted. I did 5 scans and there were no errors, no lines in the negatives (I knew there was a reason he never sent me any images -- only sent me a picture of the screen from his camera), etc. However I did note that he broke the negative cartridge. One of the plastic tabs was broken off, and it wasn't like that before.... :worthy: It's only cosmetic, and it still works, but that still blows.

However it gets even better!!!

Today I also got a letter from his LAWYER! :worthy:

It's the lawfirm of "Burwick & Dynice, P.C." Interestingly, it says that "Douglas L Burwick" is a partner, but the letter is signed by "Douglas L. Buriwick." :worthy: I smell shenanigans... You can see the whole letter here:

http://www.thevfl.com/LawyerLetter.pdf

Letter was written on April 15th, and wasn't actually postmarked until the 20th. Dude opened up his dispute with eBay (forcing the return) on the 13th... The way the letter's written (especially the sentence that begins with, "We are hereby demanding...") makes it really hard to take seriously, especially since it's hard to believe that the lawfirm would have a Douglas L Burwick AND a Douglas L Buriwick working for the same firm! :D:(

I'm SOOOO very tempted to say, "Screw you dude, scanner works, take it back" but I know that would not work with eBay. :( I'm also tempted to send a video to the "lawyer" showing that the scanner works fine... But again, what would that gain?

Oh well, just figured I'd share. Once I refund the money, I have no idea if this moron is going to keep it going or not. I don't know that I'm going to do business on eBay anymore -- the rules are completely in favor of the buyer and sellers have absolutely no recourse. :(

EDIT: What's the difference between an "attorney at law" and a "counsellor at law?" Because the letter is from "counsellor," which doesn't sound very scary to me...

The saga continues!!! :D

So last time we met, I told everyone that I agreed to take the scanner back (despite the fact that I know it worked). Dude shipped it back via USPS without delivery confirmation.

I've since found that if I were to say I never received it - he'd be out his money because eBay/PayPal require signatures on anything valued over $250. I actually did receive it yesterday though, and despite the devil on my shoulder telling me to screw the guy, my parents raised me to do the right thing. :w00t::thumbsup:

So yesterday I connected the scanner up to my PC, reinstalled the software (I built a new water-cooled PC and reinstalled my old PC for my wife), booted it up... And everything worked fine. Just like I predicted. I did 5 scans and there were no errors, no lines in the negatives (I knew there was a reason he never sent me any images -- only sent me a picture of the screen from his camera), etc. However I did note that he broke the negative cartridge. One of the plastic tabs was broken off, and it wasn't like that before.... :thumbsup: It's only cosmetic, and it still works, but that still blows.

However it gets even better!!!

Today I also got a letter from his LAWYER! :thumbsup:

It's the lawfirm of "Burwick & Dynice, P.C." Interestingly, it says that "Douglas L Burwick" is a partner, but the letter is signed by "Douglas L. Buriwick." :thumbsup: I smell shenanigans... You can see the whole letter here:

http://www.thevfl.com/LawyerLetter.pdf

Letter was written on April 15th, and wasn't actually postmarked until the 20th. Dude opened up his dispute with eBay (forcing the return) on the 13th... The way the letter's written (especially the sentence that begins with, "We are hereby demanding...") makes it really hard to take seriously, especially since it's hard to believe that the lawfirm would have a Douglas L Burwick AND a Douglas L Buriwick working for the same firm! :D:thumbsup:

I'm SOOOO very tempted to say, "Screw you dude, scanner works, take it back" but I know that would not work with eBay. :( I'm also tempted to send a video to the "lawyer" showing that the scanner works fine... But again, what would that gain?

Oh well, just figured I'd share. Once I refund the money, I have no idea if this moron is going to keep it going or not. I don't know that I'm going to do business on eBay anymore -- the rules are completely in favor of the buyer and sellers have absolutely no recourse. :(

EDIT: What's the difference between an "attorney at law" and a "counsellor at law?" Because the letter is from "counsellor," which doesn't sound very scary to me...

There is no difference between attorney and counsellor. The secretary who typed up the letter probably just made a typo. According to the Mass secretary of state, this is a real entity. http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearc...searchinput.asp

There is no difference between attorney and counsellor. The secretary who typed up the letter probably just made a typo. According to the Mass secretary of state, this is a real entity. http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearc...searchinput.asp

Well, the signature had an extra "i" in there too.... Actually, after looking closer, maybe the signature doesn't have that extra i.

Cool site though! :thumbsup:

Well, the signature had an extra "i" in there too....

I disagree, but I suppose it's unclear. You're making this into a grander conspiracy than it is. Just refund the money, resell the scanner and move on.

EDIT: By the way, the law firm is probably a small shop staffed with a buddy of this buyer. The buyer probably just asked for a scary lawyer letter as a favor.

I disagree, but I suppose it's unclear. You're making this into a grander conspiracy than it is. Just refund the money, resell the sctanner and move on.

Yeah, I looked again and I think you're right - but it's not entirely clear.

Regardless, the guy did screw me over by "borrowing" the scanner to finish his project so I have a right to be pissed.

Yeah, I looked again and I think you're right - but it's not entirely clear.

Regardless, the guy did screw me over by "borrowing" the scanner to finish his project so I have a right to be pissed.

The guy may just be stupid. I am not saying that you don't have a right to be pissed, but dealing with irrational, stupid and awful customers is part of selling things online.

The guy may just be stupid. I am not saying that you don't have a right to be pissed, but dealing with irrational, stupid and awful customers is part of selling things online.

Stupid would be not knowing how it works and returning it because of that. But he didn't - he complained about it for 40 days, and THEN filed to return it. How convenient.

Come on, you have to admit it's rather funny that he's sending me threatening letters from a lawyer. The last guy who did that to me ended up losing $750 in court (an old landlord, who was also trying to take advantage of me).

Stupid would be not knowing how it works and returning it because of that. But he didn't - he complained about it for 40 days, and THEN filed to return it. How convenient.

Come on, you have to admit it's rather funny that he's sending me threatening letters from a lawyer. The last guy who did that to me ended up losing $750 in court (an old landlord, who was also trying to take advantage of me).

You said yourself that you could resell it for a much higher price. So even if he is scamming you, he's stupid for doing so.

You said yourself that you could resell it for a much higher price. So even if he is scamming you, he's stupid for doing so.

True - unless he gives me negative feedback saying that the item is broken. Then who's going to buy it from me?

That's why I recommended being aggressively accommodating with the return. Being right is not worth the bad feedback and the hassle.

Yeah, but apparently being accommodating isn't helping anything -- as he had his lawyer friend send a nasty-gram while the eBay return process was in full swing.

True - unless he gives me negative feedback saying that the item is broken. Then who's going to buy it from me?

I think the feedback now has to left within 60 days of the transaction - test to see if you can leave it for him. Don't go all the way thru with it. Just see if you can..........Then, at least you won't have that part to worry about..........Yes, ebay is totally slanted for the buyers, so that's what you have to deal with now with them.