Review of Updated Depth Chart

I was reviewing the updated depth chart and in a position review, I feel we have the worst roster in all of the NFL. There are so many obvious holes on the roster especially in light of the transition to the 3-4 defense.

Let's look at each position:

QB - No proven starter as Edwards is petrified to throw a ball more then 5 yards down the field, Fitzpatrick is just awful and Brohm is unproven. However they may be better if they action had an offensive live that could block for more then 1.1 seconds

RB - Slightly above average, however Jackson is almost 30 and Lynch is one bonehead move away from a significant suspension, depth behind those two is hideous and the FB position is just flat embarassing

WR - Lee Evens and unproven talent, but with no offensive line and the QB's in fear of their lives from the pass rush, does this position even matter

TE - Nelson and the other guys are slightly above average and can make the short catch, since that's all we throw I guess it works.

OG & C - Wood and Levitre are building blocks, Hangartner is stop-gap at best and Wood should be at C, meaning we need a guard. Depth is pitiful at best

T - A total and complete black hole, no proven tackles, one Raider reject and two guys who may have upside but are unproven.

OL Summary - Hope whoever plays QB has his career after football mapped out after suffering a career ending injury

ST - Well above average, PK, P and even Parrish is a decent punt returner when he's in the mood, McKelvin at KR should improve

DL - Players don't match the scheme and the guys we had at tackle need to project to defensive end, plus no nose tackle that can play the 3-4, this line as composed can't stop the run or generate a pass rush, so opposing QB's can pick us apart and then use the running game to play keep-away, what a mess

LB - Comprised of back-up defensive ends from the old scheme, an over-rated LB in Poslusney and a worthless blown draft choice in Maybin. No edge pass-rusher at all, and they inside guys are prone to being pushed around

S & CB - Other then special teams this is the only other bright-spot, of course to many good players for available spots so we can convert the extra safities to undersized linebackers, oh well at least they can intercept occasionally, may get more INT's then forced punts

Let's face facts, this team is horrible and we need to accept a 14 loss season is in our immediate future

Opinions please

The Depth Chart is the same as last year with Andra Davis, Cornell Green and Dwan Edwards, Minus Terrell Owens. Levitre, Wood, and Byrd with a year experience. Leodis McKelvin added to one of the best secondaries in the NFL, also back returning kicks.

A better head coach. I see a 7-9 to 8-8 team still because of QB.

The Depth Chart is the same as last year with Andra Davis, Cornell Green and Dwan Edwards, Minus Terrell Owens. Levitre, Wood, and Byrd with a year experience. Leodis McKelvin added to one of the best secondaries in the NFL, also back returning kicks.

A better head coach. I see a 7-9 to 8-8 team still because of QB.

Minus Denney, Wendling and Josh Reed. We'd be lucky to compete in the MAC

I see a significant step down as we make changes to the new offense and defense. The present personnel does not match any of the projected schemes and we need to tear down, draft well and rebuild. The thinking must go to improving the OL , a LT in round 1, a OG in round 3 and a NT in round 2, for starters. Also need edge pass rushers at OLB to make the new system work.

To me, a two or three win season is on the horizon, and really don't see much hope

ehh... 4-5 wins, top 5 pick in 2011. not as bad as 2-14. definately not a .500+ record like everyone seems to think.

we got worse over the offseason on talent and coaching (see scouts inc., every insider expert). it's going to be ugly.

An "insider" who says Jauron > Gailey is worth nothing. I form my own opinions. I don't get them from "experts."

I see a significant step down as we make changes to the new offense and defense. The present personnel does not match any of the projected schemes and we need to tear down, draft well and rebuild. The thinking must go to improving the OL , a LT in round 1, a OG in round 3 and a NT in round 2, for starters. Also need edge pass rushers at OLB to make the new system work.

To me, a two or three win season is on the horizon, and really don't see much hope

The current personnel doesnt match? Thats not true, we are perfect for the 3-4, besides the NT, but the jury is still out on Kyle Williams.

Poz is better suited for ILB, Maybin better suited for OLB, Stroud will have no trouble at 5 tech.

I fully believe we were closer to a 3-4 defense then a 4-3 defense. Our DE's were getting handled by OT's. Our OLB's in the 4-3 couldnt fill in the run game. And IMO Poz has always been better suited for 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

Right now I look at our defense and feel great about it, as long as they add a NT to rotate with Kyle Williams.

Our offense will remain pretty bad, but maybe with an offensive head coach he can form some sort of running identity and just play power run offense.

An "insider" who says Jauron > Gailey is worth nothing. I form my own opinions. I don't get them from "experts."

Not Jauron, but every other coach was snapped up in seconds by playoff teams. We have hired assistants and promoted them way over their heads. It's not even debatable...

Not Jauron, but every other coach was snapped up in seconds by playoff teams. We have hired assistants and promoted them way over their heads. It's not even debatable...

It's debatable when the prior head coach was so incompetent that he essentially dragged down the entire staff. The current assistants here are not better than the previous ones; on that, you're right. However, the head coach -- the man at the top -- is light years better.

I'm starting to get optimistic about the defense with the recent signings of Edwards and Davis. Edwards, if he can remain healthy, is a more than average player from the DE spot in a 3-4. Davis will help with Puz's transition to ILB and wil add much needed run support. I, personally, think Stroud will be just fine playing the DE spot as well. I also think the switch will help McCargo as he becomes a rotational DE. I think rushing the QB from a stand-up position will greatly help Maybin in terms of gaining the edge on OT's. I'm not sure how Schobel and Mitchell will fit yet though. I think we will definitely pick up a OLB and a big NT in the first 3 rounds of the draft. I do think we'll be vastly improved though going into next season, on defense anyway. The jury is still out on the offense with the unknowns at QB, WR, OT, and Wood's status.

Yes the Bills are going to suck in the up coming season - at least I hope so because next year we have to get a quality QB and you need to have a very high pick to have a good chance at that- This year we desperately need to get quality players for the OL, and DE line- the first pick should be a OT and the next 4 divided between OL and DL- after that LBs and WRs become the order of the day- in addition the Bills should do anything in there power to amass draft picks- Kelsey, Schobel, Stroud, Williams, Lynch, Whitner, would all be up for trade consideration for a reasonable offer in my book- they either don't fit well in the new schemes, are too old to be of help in 3 year when we should reemerge, Lynch while young has a style of play that ensures a short career, Whitner is too well paid to be a backup.

Does the season start next week? Did I miss something? :lol:

PTR

We hear this tired refrain every year when someone dares criticize the team. Sure it's March, but there's two opportunities to find players, and both are before May. And if you're looking for more guaranteed players, it's free agency. The top players available there are typically signed in early March.

And as much as fans talk about the draft, rookies aren't normally difference makers on the field of play. Oh sure, there's usually a RB, G, or perhaps a LB that plays well their first season. Those positions are not as complicated to find guys. This team needs pass rush, NT, OT, and QB talent. Unfortunately, there aren't enough picks to fill those positions.

That's reality.

We hear this tired refrain every year when someone dares criticize the team. Sure it's March, but there's two opportunities to find players, and both are before May. And if you're looking for more guaranteed players, it's free agency. The top players available there are typically signed in early March.

And as much as fans talk about the draft, rookies aren't normally difference makers on the field of play. Oh sure, there's usually a RB, G, or perhaps a LB that plays well their first season. Those positions are not as complicated to find guys. This team needs pass rush, NT, OT, and QB talent. Unfortunately, there aren't enough picks to fill those positions.

That's reality.

+ Good call

It's debatable when the prior head coach was so incompetent that he essentially dragged down the entire staff. The current assistants here are not better than the previous ones; on that, you're right. However, the head coach -- the man at the top -- is light years better.

I will never argue you that Jauron is better than Gailey or really any other HC in the league... But I'd take Perry and his old staff over the current one. I like Gailey, but not as HC and not with this staff. I hope he proves me wrong but I suspect he won't.

Oh great, another "sky is falling" thread. Relax boys, the fun's just beginning. And like you, I just formed my own opinion on this thread. It's BS.

That's reality.

Ya know what dude, go tell the truth on some other board!