Review of Updated Depth Chart

I was reviewing the updated depth chart and in a position review, I feel we have the worst roster in all of the NFL. There are so many obvious holes on the roster especially in light of the transition to the 3-4 defense.

Let's look at each position:

QB - No proven starter as Edwards is petrified to throw a ball more then 5 yards down the field, Fitzpatrick is just awful and Brohm is unproven. However they may be better if they action had an offensive live that could block for more then 1.1 seconds

RB - Slightly above average, however Jackson is almost 30 and Lynch is one bonehead move away from a significant suspension, depth behind those two is hideous and the FB position is just flat embarassing

WR - Lee Evens and unproven talent, but with no offensive line and the QB's in fear of their lives from the pass rush, does this position even matter

TE - Nelson and the other guys are slightly above average and can make the short catch, since that's all we throw I guess it works.

OG & C - Wood and Levitre are building blocks, Hangartner is stop-gap at best and Wood should be at C, meaning we need a guard. Depth is pitiful at best

T - A total and complete black hole, no proven tackles, one Raider reject and two guys who may have upside but are unproven.

OL Summary - Hope whoever plays QB has his career after football mapped out after suffering a career ending injury

ST - Well above average, PK, P and even Parrish is a decent punt returner when he's in the mood, McKelvin at KR should improve

DL - Players don't match the scheme and the guys we had at tackle need to project to defensive end, plus no nose tackle that can play the 3-4, this line as composed can't stop the run or generate a pass rush, so opposing QB's can pick us apart and then use the running game to play keep-away, what a mess

LB - Comprised of back-up defensive ends from the old scheme, an over-rated LB in Poslusney and a worthless blown draft choice in Maybin. No edge pass-rusher at all, and they inside guys are prone to being pushed around

S & CB - Other then special teams this is the only other bright-spot, of course to many good players for available spots so we can convert the extra safities to undersized linebackers, oh well at least they can intercept occasionally, may get more INT's then forced punts

Let's face facts, this team is horrible and we need to accept a 14 loss season is in our immediate future

Opinions please

Wow. So I guess they might as well not show up this year. Why don't we just forfeit all 16 games and get the first pick next year automatically. What a load of garbage. The Bills were clearly a bad team last year. Do any of us know to what level they will perform this coming year? Absolutely not. We can guess all we want, but the truth is none of us knows what the final roster will look like or how the team will perform until the season starts. Til then it's just idle speculation. So relax it's just too early to tell and that is reality.

Are they going to WIN the Superbowl next year??? No. But they just might lose enough games to put them in a position to draft their Superbowl QB.

So let's hope they DON'T draft immediate impact players to get us back to the 7-9 team we've grown to expect. Build BOTH lines. Take your lumps and make a good run the next year they play.

But for god's sake, quit whining.

If I'm totally honest I don't know how I'd approach being the GM of a team like Buffalo. Does anything short of a Super Bowl victory really count for much? The Colts streak of wins, the Patriots undefeated regular season... both overshadowed by the loss at the end, and both having to begin anew the following year. What I'm getting at is if you aren't going to compete realistically for a championship, then don't you secretly want to suck? The one thing I hate about the Bills over the last decade is finishing just short of playoff contention at the end of the year - winning enough to hope until close to the end of the year, and then not being near enough the top of the order come draft time to get the players that will help us get better. Really, nothing is as bad as being eternally average. To me, anyway. So, if these Bills are not going to be good enough to compete this year for the post-season, then I'd rather they just suck altogether so they can pick up the best of the best next year - which is how we got Bruce Smith... or at least be close enough to where we can trade to get who we need.

I was reviewing the updated depth chart and in a position review, I feel we have the worst roster in all of the NFL. There are so many obvious holes on the roster especially in light of the transition to the 3-4 defense.

QB - No proven starter as Edwards is petrified to throw a ball more then 5 yards down the field, Fitzpatrick is just awful and Brohm is unproven. However they may be better if they action had an offensive live that could block for more then 1.1 seconds

RB - Slightly above average, however Jackson is almost 30 and Lynch is one bonehead move away from a significant suspension, depth behind those two is hideous and the FB position is just flat embarassing

WR - Lee Evens and unproven talent, but with no offensive line and the QB's in fear of their lives from the pass rush, does this position even matter

TE - Nelson and the other guys are slightly above average and can make the short catch, since that's all we throw I guess it works.

OG & C - Wood and Levitre are building blocks, Hangartner is stop-gap at best and Wood should be at C, meaning we need a guard. Depth is pitiful at best

T - A total and complete black hole, no proven tackles, one Raider reject and two guys who may have upside but are unproven.

OL Summary - Hope whoever plays QB has his career after football mapped out after suffering a career ending injury

ST - Well above average, PK, P and even Parrish is a decent punt returner when he's in the mood, McKelvin at KR should improve

DL - Players don't match the scheme and the guys we had at tackle need to project to defensive end, plus no nose tackle that can play the 3-4, this line as composed can't stop the run or generate a pass rush, so opposing QB's can pick us apart and then use the running game to play keep-away, what a mess

LB - Comprised of back-up defensive ends from the old scheme, an over-rated LB in Poslusney and a worthless blown draft choice in Maybin. No edge pass-rusher at all, and they inside guys are prone to being pushed around

S & CB - Other then special teams this is the only other bright-spot, of course to many good players for available spots so we can convert the extra safities to undersized linebackers, oh well at least they can intercept occasionally, may get more INT's then forced punts

Let's face facts, this team is horrible and we need to accept a 14 loss season is in our immediate future

Opinions please

Your analysis of the roster is very stark, yet very accurate. There are those who believe that the Bills are only a few players away. They are delusional. The truth of the matter is that it is going to be at least a few years before the Bills can be serious competitors. Just look within our own division: The Pats, Jets and Phins have immensely better rosters, and more importantly they have immensely better ownerships, front offices and coaching staffs.

There are no quick fixes for the Bills. The only way they can get better is to string together at least three years of smart drafting and smart personnel decisions. In three years this current roster will be more than 75% altered. Is Buddy Nix the right person to lead the turnaround? No one can say for certain. At least he is an experienced talent evaluator. Compare that to the clueless Levy, the marketing guru, Russ Brandon, and failed evaluators such as Guy.

Teams such as the Raiders, Lions, Bills, Rams etc are not pre-ordained to be bad because of their inherent disadvantages, such as market size. They are consistently bad because of bad management which resulted in innumerable bad personnel decisions.

There is some hope. The Falcons and Dolphins were both very battered franchises when a new football management team took over. The turnaround was fairly quick because those GMs running the franchise (Dimitroff and Parcells) knew how to rebuild a franchise.

The best way to judge the Bills this upcoming season is not necessarily by wins and losses. A better way to judge the team is how the young players play and develop. If this front office has a quality draft then there is some optimism that they know what they are doing and given time they will make this presently very ridiculed franchise relevant again.

Being a Bills fan is not for the faint of heart.

Opinions please

You forgot that Wood is trying to recover from a major injury. I agree but I am embracing this as an opportunity to completely rebuild. With smart draft choices and strategic free agent signings. New Orleans was a disaster not too long ago. The Bills need a complete rebuild - the right way no short cuts. If they take that path then 2-14 is ok with me.