Why are we down on Brohm?

Not saying the guy will be good, but why are we to assume he won't?

Because Mike McCarthy, god of all that which is QB, put him on the practice squad?

Is that really the reason?

Are we?

I don't think anyone, including most of the NFL know much about B.Brohm.

For all we know he may be the best QB on the roster.

Or the worst.

Good Luck B.B.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's simply not true from most ways to measure QB production.

In the 9 games Fitzpatrick played the majority of, the Bills scored (from all sources, O, D, ST) 161 points, an average of almost 18 points a game. High 31, low 10. In the 1 Brohm game, the Bills scored 3 points.

The remainder of stats include all of Fitzpatrick's games:

Fitzpatrick ave yds per pass attempt 6.3; Brohm 5.0

TD/INT Fitzpatrick 9/10; Brohm 0/2

The stat I hate but a lot of you love: QB Rating Fitzpatrick 69.7; Brohm 43.2

The only measurable Brohm was close with Fitzpatrick (and exceeded him by 2.67%) was completion % Brohm 58.62%; Fitzpatrick 55.95%

Of all the measurables, the most important one is how many points the team scores. Fitzpatrick's Bills averaged nearly 6 times the points scored in Brohm's game.

Until Brohm can prove he can get his team in the endzone at least once, I'll remain skeptical of his chances.

How many starts did Fitzpatrick have before he came to Buffalo? Plus he was here all offseason to learn playbook. How many games did Brohm start before he came here? How many weeks was he here before Brohm Started?

The real situation is GB waived a former 2nd round pick, and not one other team claimed him. If they cared about losing him, they wouldn't have waived him. You can spin it any way you like, but the bottom line is last September GB could have cared less if they lost Brohm. Any team that waives a guy one year removed from the 2nd round expects him to be claimed & doesn't care. You have NO evidence that GB tried to match the Bills offer hoping to trade Brohm (a guy nobody in September wanted for free) in the offseason. It's much more logical to think they wanted their 3rd string insurance to know their system than it is to dream up some trade scenario about a player nobody else wanted off of waivers.

Bills Daily. Go to news from the net. Go to date 11/20/2009. Go to Brohm signing could push Edwards out. Read story and it will show that Green Bay tried to match our offer.

The past several years have been a mobius loop of debating which unproven, project QB has the most upside or potential.

Trent, JP, Brohm, Fitz, Hamdan, whatever. None of these guys are/were any good and the answer at QB is not currently on the roster.

How many starts did Fitzpatrick have before he came to Buffalo? Plus he was here all offseason to learn playbook. How many games did Brohm start before he came here? How many weeks was he here before Brohm Started?

...and how does that change my response that I refuted the statement that he was similar to Fitzpatrick?

Bills Daily. Go to news from the net. Go to date 11/20/2009. Go to Brohm signing could push Edwards out. Read story and it will show that Green Bay tried to match our offer.

What does that have to do with my request to show evidence that GB was trying to match so that they could trade him in the future? I'll repeat-where's the evidence they wanted to match so they could trade a guy who sailed through waivers.

What does that have to do with my request to show evidence that GB was trying to match so that they could trade him in the future? I'll repeat-where's the evidence they wanted to match so they could trade a guy who sailed through waivers.

You cant really be this dense about this...

1. GB said several times that they love Flynn and he is entrenched as the backup to Rodgers.

2. What on earth do you think they were going to do with Brohm by matching our offer? Do you honestly believe they wanted to match our offer so he could be bench fodder every year as the 3rd QB?

3. GB said they hated losing him for nothing...clue #1 to their intent...but didn't have much of a choice given the holes on the rest of their team keeping them from carrying 3 active QB's.

4. Brohm was a 2nd round pick...no team wants to lose a high draft choice, especially one so young, highly touted, and no real chance to play yet, for no compensation.

5. GB going into this year felt they were a real contender. They are not going to take up an active roster they need to compete every week to keep a 2nd year QB who is 3rd on the depth chart in hopes of trading him. #1 priority for GB in the 2009 season was not positioning for trade value in 2010, but winning games. With their holes and injuries, that meant carrying only 2 QB's, so they made the tough choice of risking losing Brohm for no compensation on PS in hopes they could match the offer if someone claimed him.

Seriously, this isnt rocket science. The problem is fans on this board are in love with draft slots and cant imagine a low round draft pick being chosen to be the backup over a high round draft pick. Thats why GB is GB and Buffalo is Buffalo. They make decisions on the players they feel are most ready to help the team and dont care about where they were drafted.

Flynn and Brohm were taken in the same draft and they said (and even Brohm said this) that Flynn adjusted to the speed of the game faster and was more ready to play as a rookie. He impressed the team so much that it made a 2nd round draft choice expendable.

I'm not "down on Brohm". I'm just not "up on Brohm" AT ALL in any way shape or form. I don't pay much attention to college football so I know nothing of the guy except that he sucked in pre season in Green Bay and sucked in 1 regular season game here. At Green Bay by his own admission he wasn't able to adjust to the speed of the game.

I'm more down on the whole idea of Brohm. He's another un proven young QB that has done nothing in the NFL. He would be the 4th such QB savior in a row if were to go with him as the starter. The previous 3 have been huge busts, although at the time they all had huge "upside".

Could he be next Johny Unitas? Sure. But the odds are stacked waaaaaay against it.

I would prefer that we tried to get an experienced QB in here. There are still some out there. But it appears Coach Gailey and Nix aren't interested. Too bad. But, it's early ...

I like saving the various NFL Draft Magazines every year -- especially Pro Football Weekly and Sporting News -- just so that I can go back and revisit them over the years.

So I recently looked back at the 2008 mags. And I would surmise that (aside from Bradford and MAYBE Clausen), Brohm's reputation when he came out back in 2008 was significantly better than that of any other QB that is set to be drafted in April. Does that mean that the draftniks missed the boat with Brohm? Could be. Or it could be that he found himself in a bad situation in GB.

SN had Brohm rated as the #1 QB prospect -- ahead of Matt Ryan. They compared him to Peyton Manning and predicted that he would be NFL ready from day one, given his pedigree (dad and brothers were coaches) and top flight production exhibited at Louisville.

PFW rated him third behind Ryan and Henne. They ranked him ahead of Joe Flacco, but cautioned that they believed that Brohm had limited upside. They predicted that he would be destined to become a career backup or a marginal starter who would leave his team always hoping for more.

My concern is that his greatest strength coming out seemed to be that he had a great deal of polish -- and the learning curve for the NFL wouldn't be very steep for him. However, the reason the Packers left him unprotected was because he had less of a grasp of the offense than 7th rounder Flynn. To be honest, there is very little to go on when it comes to Brohm. From the Bills perspective, he had very little opportunity to display his goods. The Atlanta game was difficult to evaluate. On one hand, his stats were lousy -- but he played behind the worst OL that we put on the field last year. Gauging his physical skills in that game, I thought he showed a lively arm -- and the ball seemed to come out of his hand quickly. I, for one, would rather that the Bills give him a real opportunity before using a 2nd-3rd round pick on the likes of McCoy, Pike, LeFevour, etc.

That's simply not true from most ways to measure QB production.

In the 9 games Fitzpatrick played the majority of, the Bills scored (from all sources, O, D, ST) 161 points, an average of almost 18 points a game. High 31, low 10. In the 1 Brohm game, the Bills scored 3 points.

The remainder of stats include all of Fitzpatrick's games:

Fitzpatrick ave yds per pass attempt 6.3; Brohm 5.0

TD/INT Fitzpatrick 9/10; Brohm 0/2

The stat I hate but a lot of you love: QB Rating Fitzpatrick 69.7; Brohm 43.2

The only measurable Brohm was close with Fitzpatrick (and exceeded him by 2.67%) was completion % Brohm 58.62%; Fitzpatrick 55.95%

Of all the measurables, the most important one is how many points the team scores. Fitzpatrick's Bills averaged nearly 6 times the points scored in Brohm's game.

Until Brohm can prove he can get his team in the endzone at least once, I'll remain skeptical of his chances.

Okay so 9 games with the Bills and the majority of the games his last season with the Bengals somehow make him directly comparable with Brohm?

Fitzpatrick has had much more experience than Brohm in regular season games. I didn't say that Brohm was better than Fitz, I said that relatively speaking he wasn't that bad compared to a normal Fitzpatrick game. Basically, I was trying to state that he has upside. Sure he didn't score 18 points, but how long had he known the playbook? How long had he practiced with the first team? How many regular season snaps had he taken before that game?

Relatively speaking, Brohm has some upside, if he can use it is yet to be seen.

Here's what worries me about Brohm. I know it was only one play. But on this page, click on the video over on the right side. He has plenty of protection on this play. TO is open for a TD, but Brian way underthrows him resulting in a pick. So this pick and bad pass are not a result of a bad line or not knowing the play book etc. It was just a bad pass. If he throws it 2 yards to the outside and 5 yards deeper TO catches it for TD about 8 yards deep in the EZ. Fitz hit several of these this year as did Trent.

Like I say only one play, but I don't think it bodes well.

And why does the NFL still have a picture of him in a Cheese jersey on this page?

Lets get this clear...one, you are probably the last person that should be involved in this thread since you have admited several times you dont know anything about Brohm and all your claims and points about him are assumptions based on the fact he was on a PS.

Second, He didnt lose out to the 3rd string QB. Brohm and Flynn were drafted in the same year to back up Rodgers...Flynn adjusted to the speed of the game faster so they went with Flynn when they were both rookies because they felt Flynn was more READY to play. Then this past year, Brohm was a year behind Flynn who was entrenched as the back up as GB loves Flynn and has said so many times.

With all of GB's other needs that couldnt carry 3 active QB's...they were not going to put the guy that was more ready to play in their system, Flynn, on the PS just to hope to keep Brohm based on potential. Brohm never had a chance to beat out Flynn because GB loves Flynn and had him entrenched as the 2nd QB. All Brohm was ever doing in preseason was auditioning for a trade, and when he struggled that idea fizzled out. So they stashed him on the PS hoping no one would grab him so they could develop him more in hopes of trading him this offseason. That is also why they tried to match the offer, so they could keep him and trade him later...not because they wanted him to beat out Flynn.

But, you dont have a clue about the acutal scope of the REAL situation surrounding his placement on the PS and just ignorantly spout off at the hip about it all over this board and the shout box...find a new tune to sing, preferably one you actually know something about this time...

Great Post. The bottom line is that nobody knows what Brohm is really about at this point. He was pretty highly regarded coming out of college, but hasn't been able to translate that into success in the NFL yet. However, the kid is very young. It's just ridiculous to make a snap judgement on him. It really cost the Bills nothing, they are not relying on him to start this year, so what's the big deal. IMO, they just added the equivilent of a rookie QB with some potential. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't, but it's impossible to say that anyone definitively knows what will happen with him.

3. My points are intended to imply that just because he was on a practice squad and not pick up by another team, does not mean that the entire league thinks he is not a good prospect.

It's pretty simple, if there is a young player available at THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN THE NFL for NOTHING and no one came knocking, it means that the other 30+ teams don't think very much of Brohm. Again, when have the Bills ever been smarter than the rest of the league?

There is about a 1% chance that Brohm works out but to say that you are "excited" or you "think he could be something" is baseless and silly and a case of more people talking out of their butts on this this board.

It's pretty simple, if there is a young player available at THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN THE NFL for NOTHING and no one came knocking, it means that the other 30+ teams don't think very much of Brohm. Again, when have the Bills ever been smarter than the rest of the league?

There is about a 1% chance that Brohm works out but to say that you are "excited" or you "think he could be something" is baseless and silly and a case of more people talking out of their butts on this this board.

Check my posts. I never said I was "excited" or I "think he could be something".

Once again, a practice squad player is only "available" if the team that is going to acquire him puts him on their active 53 man roster. Don't know what you mean by available "for nothing". The acquireing team has to make an offer and the club that he is with has the right to counter it.

What I did say is that I have no clue as to whether Brohm will be any good. I have only seen him play once and to be fair to Brohm he did not have much time to learn the system or practice with the team.

Check my posts. I never said I was "excited" or I "think he could be something".

Once again, a practice squad player is only "available" if the team that is going to acquire him puts him on their active 53 man roster. Don't know what you mean by available "for nothing". The acquireing team has to make an offer and the club that he is with has the right to counter it.

What I did say is that I have no clue as to whether Brohm will be any good. I have only seen him play once and to be fair to Brohm he did not have much time to learn the system or practice with the team.

Very reasonable assessment. He may be good, he may never play a down in the NFL again. Those are all possibilities. Anyone who says either exteme will happen for sure is just guessing.

I suggest you read some of the other posts in this thread because you have absolutely no concept of how the PS works or of the exact situation surrounding Brohm and GB. You clearly dont know anything about Brohm or his situation other than he was claimed off their PS. In fact, you dont even know how the PS works. Even worse, the fact you used the words "Its pretty simple" to start your lousy logic about something that wasnt nearly as simple as you want it to be further shows you probably shouldnt be chiming in on this discussion.

You cant really be this dense about this...

1. GB said several times that they love Flynn and he is entrenched as the backup to Rodgers.

2. What on earth do you think they were going to do with Brohm by matching our offer? Do you honestly believe they wanted to match our offer so he could be bench fodder every year as the 3rd QB?

3. GB said they hated losing him for nothing...clue #1 to their intent...but didn't have much of a choice given the holes on the rest of their team keeping them from carrying 3 active QB's.

4. Brohm was a 2nd round pick...no team wants to lose a high draft choice, especially one so young, highly touted, and no real chance to play yet, for no compensation.

5. GB going into this year felt they were a real contender. They are not going to take up an active roster they need to compete every week to keep a 2nd year QB who is 3rd on the depth chart in hopes of trading him. #1 priority for GB in the 2009 season was not positioning for trade value in 2010, but winning games. With their holes and injuries, that meant carrying only 2 QB's, so they made the tough choice of risking losing Brohm for no compensation on PS in hopes they could match the offer if someone claimed him.

Seriously, this isnt rocket science. The problem is fans on this board are in love with draft slots and cant imagine a low round draft pick being chosen to be the backup over a high round draft pick. Thats why GB is GB and Buffalo is Buffalo. They make decisions on the players they feel are most ready to help the team and dont care about where they were drafted.

Flynn and Brohm were taken in the same draft and they said (and even Brohm said this) that Flynn adjusted to the speed of the game faster and was more ready to play as a rookie. He impressed the team so much that it made a 2nd round draft choice expendable.

I can't believe response #5, because here's what you previously said "So they stashed him on the PS hoping no one would grab him so they could develop him more in hopes of trading him this offseason. That is also why they tried to match the offer, so they could keep him and trade him later...not because they wanted him to beat out Flynn." Now, not only don't you answer me when I ask you to prove that they wanted to match the offer in hopes of trading Brohm, but you now include this "5. GB going into this year felt they were a real contender. They are not going to take up an active roster they need to compete every week to keep a 2nd year QB who is 3rd on the depth chart in hopes of trading him. #1 priority for GB in the 2009 season was not positioning for trade value in 2010, but winning games. With their holes and injuries, that meant carrying only 2 QB's, so they made the tough choice of risking losing Brohm for no compensation on PS in hopes they could match the offer if someone claimed him." Sorry, but you have just contradicted yourself. Do us all a favor, until you get your facts straight in your own mind, refrain from calling anyone else dense. It's tough to follow your thoughts when side by side you make no sense.

I suggest you read some of the other posts in this thread because you have absolutely no concept of how the PS works or of the exact situation surrounding Brohm and GB. You clearly dont know anything about Brohm or his situation other than he was claimed off their PS. In fact, you dont even know how the PS works. Even worse, the fact you used the words "Its pretty simple" to start your lousy logic about something that wasnt nearly as simple as you want it to be further shows you probably shouldnt be chiming in on this discussion.

Yes, the concept of the practice squad is mind blowingly tough to wrap my head around, like cell lysis or something. If their is a "potential" franchise QB out their who was selected in the 2nd round the year before and all you have to do is cut, lets say, John Wedling, you do it without hesitation. And if the other 30+ teams thought he was worth anything, they would gladly cut their "Wedling" too and outbid the Packers for his services. He cleared waivers! And I did read about what "really happened". The Bills propaganda machine will have you believe that there was some feirce battle over Brohm, when I've read numerous reports that the Pack made an offer that they deemed Brohm to be worthy of and then said, "Don't let the door hit you in the A**" It's not like the Bills signed him to a big contract! So I'm not sure what the disconnect here is or how hard you think it is to understand the madness that is the PS, but again, it's pretty simple, NO ONE WANTED HIM AND HE WAS SITTING RIGHT THERE FOR THE TAKING.....kind of sounds like our head coach! :lol:

I can't believe response #5, because here's what you previously said "So they stashed him on the PS hoping no one would grab him so they could develop him more in hopes of trading him this offseason. That is also why they tried to match the offer, so they could keep him and trade him later...not because they wanted him to beat out Flynn." Now, not only don't you answer me when I ask you to prove that they wanted to match the offer in hopes of trading Brohm, but you now include this "5. GB going into this year felt they were a real contender. They are not going to take up an active roster they need to compete every week to keep a 2nd year QB who is 3rd on the depth chart in hopes of trading him. #1 priority for GB in the 2009 season was not positioning for trade value in 2010, but winning games. With their holes and injuries, that meant carrying only 2 QB's, so they made the tough choice of risking losing Brohm for no compensation on PS in hopes they could match the offer if someone claimed him." Sorry, but you have just contradicted yourself. Do us all a favor, until you get your facts straight in your own mind, refrain from calling anyone else dense. It's tough to follow your thoughts when side by side you make no sense.

How did I just contradict myself? In the first quote, I said they stashed him on the PS in hopes of hiding him there (which GB said) because they didnt have room on the active roster but still hoped to find a way to keep him around...it has nothing, read that again, NOTHING to do with the active 53 man roster which is what they field week in and week out that I talked about in the second quote you put in this post. In the second quote I refernce that exactly where I said they are not going to keep Brohm on the ACTIVE roster of a CONTENDING team just to manuever for a trade in the offseason when they BELIEVE they can win and NEED the roster spot on the...wait for it now...ACTIVE roster.

You are not even reading the posts well enough to argue them.

So, to spell it out for you one last time as clear as I can make it...GB DID, and it was published, MATCH the Bills offer to keep him. Brohm said no as he knew he had no chance at ever playing in GB and Buffalo presented possibilities.

GB also said they hated losing him for no compensation but did not have a choice as they didnt have the luxury of carrying 3 QB's as a result of injuries and needs at other positions. Not to mention, they LOVE Flynn and he is their guy to back up Rodgers and we know Rodgers isnt going anywhere.

So, with a little common sense and a little attention to the details of what GB has publicly done and said, it was pretty clear that GB would have preferred to keep him (which is why they matched the offer) to try and get some value for him this offseason. But, because of injuries and needs at other positions (also publicly said by GB) they realized they couldnt carry 3 QB's so they chose to risk losing him for nothing rather than occupy a ACTIVE roster spot just to try and get some trade value for him.

I mean, geezus, none of this is rocket science and was literally pretty obvious and practically stated by GB...