Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Nanker

I can see it. Gailey recruited him to GT. He could be the BPA left at 9.

I think they pick Clausen if he's there, but if he's not, Morgan would be a big temptation for CG IMHO.

There was another post covering this is depth. Someone posted some "expert" opinions (could have been Maycock) that Morgan is strictly a 4-3 DE.

I could not say either way but I would not be surprised that Gailey takes one of his boys. I would prefer to fill that LT spot, we have few options there.

There was another post covering this is depth. Someone posted some "expert" opinions (could have been Maycock) that Morgan is strictly a 4-3 DE.

Here's the Scouts Inc analysis, which seems to support Mayock's opinion:

Pass Rush Skills-- Exceptional

"Not an elite speed rusher and needs to use combination of speed and power to apply pressure. Shows good body lean when bending the edge. Plays with excellent leverage; will stand OT's up and then use rip, swim or club to disengage. Polished pass rusher with a relentless motor. Closes quickly and is an explosive hitter. Will fight through double team. Quick hands that he uses to keep OL off his body. "

Athleticism/Versatility-- Average

"Above average athlete for size but he's not your typical speed-rushing hybrid coming from the college ranks. Not suited to be a fulltime OLB in an odd front, but certainly shows the agility and enough fluidity to drop into underneath coverage on occasional zone blitz. GTU would occasionally drop him into coverage versus the TE and also would give him spot duty as an ILB. He has been effective on kick block unit in the past, as well. "

Versus the Run-- Exceptional

"Is well built and plays with great leverage and discipline. Shows enough of an anchor to hold his ground at the point of attack versus the run. Stays low, uses strong upper body to keep separation from OT, and disengages quickly when he's looking to pursue the run. "

Instincts/Competitiveness-- Exceptional

"Plays with a non-stop motor. Not great at splitting double team but will fight to get through it every time. Frequently works his way back into a play because of effort (see: 14:25 remaining in 2nd quarter vs. Miami in 2009). Shows above-average instincts better as a pass rusher than versus the run."

That said, the following two traits are pure Buddy Nix "tells," which makes Morgan a high probability pick:

Durability-- Exceptional

"Only missed game was in 2007. Started final 27 games during last two seasons (2008-'09)."

Intangibles-- Exceptional

"Reliable player. Hard worker on and off the field. Ready to handle the NFL from a maturity standpoint. No off-the-field issues to our knowledge."

A pure pass rusher (either DE or OLB) at 9 wouldn't shock me ... or anyone really. It's a definite area of need. I don't know enough about Morgan to say whether he'd be the right choice though.

Still, that's the great thing about this draft for the Bills. They have so many holes, they really can't make a WRONG pick so long as it's not a HB, DB or P/K.

A pure pass rusher (either DE or OLB) at 9 wouldn't shock me ... or anyone really. It's a definite area of need. I don't know enough about Morgan to say whether he'd be the right choice though.

Still, that's the great thing about this draft for the Bills. They have so many holes, they really can't make a WRONG pick so long as it's not a HB, DB or P/K.

That's pretty much how I see it too. I think they're going to hold on to their #9 slot and pick the best athlete available. They could pass on Morgan if they have faith in Maybin, but if Schobel retires they might favor taking Morgan.

Pierre-Paul, Morgan and Graham are all realistic options should Clausen, Okung and Bulaga be gone.

Nix comes from a 3-4 team that featured Merriman and Phillips who absolutely terrorized QBs. OLB pass rusher is very likely for us at pick 9.

IMHO, he's a tweener in a 3 - 4 system, not nearly big enough to be a DE, and not small/athletic enough to be a rush OLB.

Very few of the rush OLBs in a 3 - 4 are as big as 266. Most are more like Joey Porter size, James Harrison size, Elvis Dumervil size. The extremely few who are that big are athletic freaks who move like much smaller men. I like Morgan but he's not an athletic freak, he's a hard trier who never gives up and has a good combination of speed and strength.

That's not enough to get it done as a 3 - 4 rush man, IMHO.

Before we switched to the 3 - 4, I really thought we were going to pick Morgan.

I am not so sure about 3-4 or 4-3 distinctions. It would boil down to this. What 3rd down alignmnets would the Bills favor? I think with most nickel and dime packages they would favor 4 man fronts anyhow. The 3-4 is favored on 1st down but probably not on 3rd and long or in short yardage. Having a great 4-3 DE would still work out very well on the most important down in football. Maybe things have changed since the 3-4 days I remember.

I think they pick Clausen if he's there, but if he's not, Morgan would be a big temptation for CG IMHO.

I would be OK with Morgan @ #9 also. I think he could be a DE like Bruce Smith in the 3-4. He has the strength and speed to be effective. Watching him run down plays from behind and the way he attacks the QB reminded me alot of Bruce. Not saying the guy is a future HOF'er or anything, but I believe he has that potential.

Pierre-Paul, Morgan and Graham are all realistic options should Clausen, Okung and Bulaga be gone.

Nix comes from a 3-4 team that featured Merriman and Phillips who absolutely terrorized QBs. OLB pass rusher is very likely for us at pick 9.

if left tackle is somehow fixed I would agree

I don't think you draft a DE in the top 10 for a 3-4 unless its Bruce Smith.. The Ends are a lot easier to find... The NT and OLDs are the ones you need early in the draft.... I still think we go Clausen or Bradford... Maybe trade down for Dan Williams... only one month left boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i only caught one game of his, and it was gt/miami last year, and before the game he was being hyped up big-time. i didn't really notice him during the game except them showing him sucking wind because he was so tired.

I think it would be a bit of a reach to select Graham w/ the 9th overall pick. The guy's work ethic and toughness are off the charts, and many favorably compare 'em to former Michigan teammate (and current Stiller Pro Bowl LB) LaMarr Woodley. The difference 'tween the two, from what I have seen, is that Woodley is far superior in terms of his quickness and change of direction. Graham has great instincts and really great hands, which will help 'em get off the line of scrimmage and get into the backfield (ask the poor saps who had to try to block 'em in the Senior Bowl), but once the level of competition improves (most of those Senior Bowl OTs that he went up against project either to RT or inside to guard), he may not have his way w/ linemen like he did. If the top OTs (Okung, Bulaga, Williams) and QBs (Clausen, Bradford) are all gone in the first 8 picks, I would hope the Bills would go after a stud NT prospect like Tennessee's Dan Williams who would fill a position of great need up front in the new 3-4 scheme.

It appears the opinions on Derrick Mogans effectiveness in a 3-4 differ. Some say he does fit into a 3-4 others say he does not. Mayock who commented on it most recently said at his Pro Day that many scouts believe he will be most effective as a 4-3 end as he looked slow dropping in coverage.

Ultimately it will come down to what the Bills brass thinks of him and if he'll fit in. Morgan is considered the #1 DE in the draft so he does warrant definite consideration in the top 10, and I think when it's all said and done he'll be gone between picks 5-10.

I could not say either way but I would not be surprised that Gailey takes one of his boys. I would prefer to fill that LT spot, we have few options there.

I have seen that in places too! But, I also read in the Sporting News NFL Draft guide that he would be excellent as a "Rush" Linebacker in the 3-4 defense. The analysis of D. Morgan was unbelivable. I don't watch much college football and can't say I've seen him but the analysis didn't uncover any weakneses in his character, motor, or game. He was rated with a 8.6 for his position the same as Suh received as a DT! I think their is at least a 25% chance the Bills will draft him and possibly 2 other players from G/Tech a bit later in the draft.

I have seen that in places too! But, I also read in the Sporting News NFL Draft guide that he would be excellent as a "Rush" Linebacker in the 3-4 defense. The analysis of D. Morgan was unbelivable. I don't watch much college football and can't say I've seen him but the analysis didn't uncover any weakneses in his character, motor, or game. He was rated with a 8.6 for his position the same as Suh received as a DT! I think their is at least a 25% chance the Bills will draft him and possibly 2 other players from G/Tech a bit later in the draft.

One of the main guys for the Sporting News Draft Guide is Russ Lande, and I know from discussions we've had that Russ Lande is very high on Derrick Morgan. It's been discussed here before but Lande believes that Morgan is hands down the best DE in the draft and that no one is even close.

For the record Pro Football Weekly has him rated as the #2 DE behind Jason Pierre Paul, who to me has bust written all over him. Pierre Paul has 2 years at community colleges and one season at South Florida. If Nix is true to his beliefs there is no chance we would take Pierre-Paul, with only 1 true year of experience. I don't understand all the Pierre Paul hype, is it actually possible doing 9 back hand springs in a row can raise your draft stock!?