Dwan Edwards FAILS two physicals

papazoid

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few teams also dropped Thurman Thomas down their draft boards because of his knee, as I recall. Doctors don't always share the same opinion of an injury.

At this point, guess we'll just have to sit back and see how it plays out. The fact that he played all 18 games last season does ease my mind a little, though.

exactly - spot on lori

I just wanted to come on and clarify since the information the reporter used to report Edwards failed two physicals comes from what I wrote yesterday (his story includes information and quotes from a one-on-one interview I had with Edwards).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...ething-to-prove

This is semantics, but I don't think Edwards failed two physicals. That's not what I wrote. The way he explained it to me, and it makes perfect sense, is that the Seahawks and Broncos weren't willing to invest that kind of money unless they were completely sure. I believe it came down to a question of investment as much as a medical opinion.

I just wanted to come on and clarify since the information the reporter used to report Edwards failed two physicals comes from what I wrote yesterday (his story includes information and quotes from a one-on-one interview I had with Edwards).

This is semantics, but I don't think Edwards failed two physicals. That's not what I wrote. The way he explained it to me, and it makes perfect sense, is that the Seahawks and Broncos weren't willing to invest that kind of money unless they were completely sure. I believe it came down to a question of investment as much as a medical opinion.

Thanks, that's what I figured.

I hope Davis, Edwards and our other new Bills players surprise us, but I keep getting this feeling that this is nothing more than the same procedure we have seen for a decade+. Modest free agent signings hyped up so the fans think they dramatically improve the team, then the usual excitement over whatever players are drafted, then the excuses of September and October, followed by the sad reality of November and December.

I know several of you are trying to be as positive as possible about the club's offseason moves, but I am having difficulty buying into it. Minimum wage GM and coaching hires, no spending spree in free agency and no trades. But hey, give the new guys a chance to prove that they do the job. Isn't that what you told yourself several times since the late 1990s when new GMs, coaches and players came and went? :rolleyes:

I hope Davis, Edwards and our other new Bills players surprise us, but I keep getting this feeling that this is nothing more than the same procedure we have seen for a decade+. Modest free agent signings hyped up so the fans think they dramatically improve the team, then the usual excitement over whatever players are drafted, then the excuses of September and October, followed by the sad reality of November and December.

I know several of you are trying to be as positive as possible about the club's offseason moves, but I am having difficulty buying into it. Minimum wage GM and coaching hires, no spending spree in free agency and no trades. But hey, give the new guys a chance to prove that they do the job. Isn't that what you told yourself several times since the late 1990s when new GMs, coaches and players came and went? :rolleyes:

Yet here you are. Still posting about them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...lls-signed-him/

i still think it's a good signing.

This means absolutely nothing since each team doctor has different opinions on things. Truth be told, 75-80% of the players in the league wouldn't be playing if it depended on them passing physicals with every team doctor.

And?

From a D&C article:

"His visit to Buffalo included a physical, which was conducted by team doctor Andrew Cappuccino, who played a key role in helping Bills tight end Kevin Everett recover from a severe spinal cord injury in 2007."

FWIW, I like the advice of our doctors...

I heard that Cappuccino was foaming over to get him signed.

Obviously, when you have a serious injury like his, there is always a concern. But he came back the injury and had his best season. Additionally since contracts aren't guaranteed and he's only making $4 million, we are breaking the bank on him. IMO, it's a very low risk signing.

bingo

Spinal injury....................that's a touchy area to just dismiss, and then open the purse strings & offer a FOUR year deal to the guy.

If this was a John Guy hire, I'd be upset. So since it was a Whaley hire, should I be feeling OK????????? We can only hope.

EDIT----I jumped the gun, not knowing all the pertinent details. I feel much better after reading a little more on the subject. But, there is still some concern on my part no matter what was stated.

Mmmm. No attribution to you? Nice. I just went back and re-read his piece assuming I'd missed it the first time, but no...

Anyway, we thank you for the clarification.

This means absolutely nothing since each team doctor has different opinions on things. Truth be told, 75-80% of the players in the league wouldn't be playing if it depended on them passing physicals with every team doctor.

Really? That's the truth, huh?

Can you help us out with some reference on that one?

Spinal injury....................that's a touchy area to just dismiss, and then open the purse strings & offer a FOUR year deal to the guy.

If this was a John Guy hire, I'd be upset. So since it was a Whaley hire, should I be feeling OK????????? We can only hope.

EDIT----I jumped the gun, not knowing all the pertinent details. I feel much better after reading a little more on the subject. But, there is still some concern on my part no matter what was stated.

With no guaranteed contracts, a 4 year contract can become 1 very easily.

Neck and back injuries are scary and major red flags. The Bills must have felt comfortable enough with it to sign him. You have to think since he received no offers, his contract has some playing time clauses. We needed some 3-4 pieces before the draft, so I ultimately applaud the signing.

I know several of you are trying to be as positive as possible about the club's offseason moves, but I am having difficulty buying into it. Minimum wage GM and coaching hires, no spending spree in free agency and no trades. But hey, give the new guys a chance to prove that they do the job. Isn't that what you told yourself several times since the late 1990s when new GMs, coaches and players came and went? :worthy:

Not sure where all the hype is. They signed 2 players who might help us get better. Also what is the minimum wage for GMs and coaches?