Rod Woodson brings up a good point

DarthICE

In refering to Cleveland he said at what point do you pull the trigger and move up and get your franchise QB? One of the problems with the Bills and even Bills fans is they want their cake and eat it too.

For us to get a franchise QB we have to A. Trade up to a top 2 spot and get one. or B. suck so badly we have a top 2 draft pick. But what happens each year is we suck but not bad enough. We just sit there in that spot where we draft anywhere from say 6th to 11th, we won't get a top QB that way. But at the same time fans scream 'no matter what I want them to win' instead of the Bills rightfully tanking it to get a top pick.

Now I am not saying start the season like that, but say when Jauron was fired, As the owner I would have told Fewell don't even game plan, play backups, let the starters heal up and get ready for next year. I would want the best pick available. Yeah a couple vets might get upset, but who cares? It is time to redo this franchise.

At some point we are going to have to quit going with the Fluties, Johnsons, Losermans and Edwards and find us a great QB to develop. Otherwise this team isn't going to be anything more than a 7-9 to 9-7 tops year in and year out.

For us to get a franchise QB we have to A. Trade up to a top 2 spot and get one. or B. suck so badly we have a top 2 draft pick.

Ice, you're a broken record. So, are you saying we should trade up and get Bradford or Clauson? You think those guys would be worth our first and second picks....that's at least what it would take. Really?

In refering to Cleveland he said at what point do you pull the trigger and move up and get your franchise QB? One of the problems with the Bills and even Bills fans is they want their cake and eat it too.

For us to get a franchise QB we have to A. Trade up to a top 2 spot and get one. or B. suck so badly we have a top 2 draft pick. But what happens each year is we suck but not bad enough. We just sit there in that spot where we draft anywhere from say 6th to 11th, we won't get a top QB that way. But at the same time fans scream 'no matter what I want them to win' instead of the Bills rightfully tanking it to get a top pick.

Now I am not saying start the season like that, but say when Jauron was fired, As the owner I would have told Fewell don't even game plan, play backups, let the starters heal up and get ready for next year. I would want the best pick available. Yeah a couple vets might get upset, but who cares? It is time to redo this franchise.

At some point we are going to have to quit going with the Fluties, Johnsons, Losermans and Edwards and find us a great QB to develop. Otherwise this team isn't going to be anything more than a 7-9 to 9-7 tops year in and year out.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett favre, Aaron Rodgers to name a few were not top two picks, and they are all Pro bowl QB and all have rings except Rodgers who will get his soon.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett favre, Aaron Rodgers to name a few were not top two picks, and they are all Pro bowl QB and all have rings except Rodgers who will get his soon.

Good point; I believe Rodgers was the highest at the 21st or 22nd spot of the first round, with Brees in the Second Round and Brady in the Sixth. I can't remember where Favre was drafted by Altanta but I know it wasn't early in the first round.

and none of them were drafted by the Buffalo Bills. You can site all the success stories like Rodgers-later part of the 1st round, Brees-1st pick of the 2nd round, Favre-early 2nd round or Brady-6th round, but unless your team beats the odds & gets a franchise QB with those picks, it's pretty meaningless. Our last comparable pick to Rodgers was JP Losman, Brees & Favre -Todd Collins, Brady-Luc Tousignant.

For us to get a franchise QB we have to A. Trade up to a top 2 spot and get one. or B. suck so badly we have a top 2 draft pick.

Dude, we get it. You want the Bills to draft Bradford. Even if he were there at #9, he still ain't worth the pick. He's not a franchiser and there is not a franchise QB in this draft. The Bills already have 3 backup QBs, adding a fourth is only going to ensure thay have someone to take snaps when the other three go down with injuries.

:worthy:

Didn't we trade up for Lossman? :beer:

Dude, we get it. You want the Bills to draft Bradford. Even if he were there at #9, he still ain't worth the pick.

Disagree w/ that, Bradford at #9 would be very good. wont happen tho, so we're wasting our time here. Yes we won't get Bradford.

Your fixation on the qb is understandable but very misguided. No one doubts that the qb position is the most important position on the roster. But the Bills have been bad for a lot more reasons than the deficiency at qb. How good has our OL been for the past decade? Last year it was at a USFL level. How good has our DL been in stopping the run and getting at the qb over the past decade? Without a doubt the Bills have in those defensive categories ranked in the lower tier. How do you rank our receiving corps? When was the last time we have had a productive TE? Our LB corps? They are all collectively mediocre.

As others have noted there are a number of ways of getting an impactful qb. The Bills' front office has been incapable of acquiring one over the past nearly twenty years because it is embarrassingly inept. Not having a high caliber qb is not an excuse for having in general a less than quality roster.

The Bills have historically been boring losers because the owner and front office were embarrassingly clueless. Hopefully, things will change and move in the right direction. As Tod McShay has wisely stated his recommendation to the Bills is to bolster the OL first so that when you identify your franchise qb you are placing him in a position to succeed instead of putting him in the position to be under constant siege.

Guest dog14787
Your fixation on the qb is understandable but very misguided. No one doubts that the qb position is the most important position on the roster. But the Bills have been bad for a lot more reasons than the deficiency at qb. How good has our OL been for the past decade? Last year it was at a USFL level. How good has our DL been in stopping the run and getting at the qb over the past decade? Without a doubt the Bills have in those defensive categories ranked in the lower tier. How do you rank our receiving corps? When was the last time we have had a productive TE? Our LB corps? They are all collectively mediocre.

As others have noted there are a number of ways of getting an impactful qb. The Bills' front office has been incapable of acquiring one over the past nearly twenty years because it is embarrassingly inept. Not having a high caliber qb is not an excuse for having in general a quality roster.

The Bills have historically been boring losers because the owner and front office were embarrassingly clueless. Hopefully, things will change and move in the right direction. As Tod McShay has wisely stated his recommendation to the Bills is to bolster the OL first so that when you identify your franchise qb you are placing him in a position to succeed instead of putting him in the position to be under constant siege.

Makes perfect sense to me.

As others have noted there are a number of ways of getting an impactful qb. The Bills' front office has been incapable of acquiring one over the past nearly twenty years because it is embarrassingly inept. Not having a high caliber qb is not an excuse for having in general a quality roster.

to further back up this post. The Falcons drafted Ryan and then jumped back into the first round to get a LT. Their GM knew Ryan needed help. The Bills don't have that luxury because they are changed to a 3-4. They need all the picks you can get.

Bolster the line and let Trent/Brohm play. I bet Chan can get better play out of both of them.

Dude! Enough with the trading up for a QB. We need to just have faith in the new coaching staff that they will find and do the right thing to get us to the playoffs. I'm not so sure they don't already have a QB in mind and are just waiting to make the call(Brian Brohm). I think we give the him the keys and see what can happen. IMO :worthy:

This draft is just weak QB wise. You can generally get a franchise QB at our spot or later. Big Ben was a #13 pick.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Indeed.

It seems, sometimes, the best way to go about acquiring a franchise QB is by fate and/or shiit luck. By selecting a QB early in a draft assures nothing. All it does is ratchet up the emotion and expectation for this high pick to produce.

Philosophically, I'm opposed to drafting a QB so early. Mainly, I'm afraid that if we fail on that pick it'll just set us back that much further.

It seems prudent to draft one later and take your chances.