Why are you a Sports fan?

I'm writing a paper about why sports are so important to our culture and i want to include TBD in the paper. So I'm asking Why are you a sports fan? What drives you to devote the time, money and energy rooting for a team? (not just the Bills, any team)

Any help you can provide would be very useful and assuming i have everyone's permission I will use some quotes from here in my final paper. Thanks in advance guys! :thumbdown:

Unfortunately I am not rich and cant travel the world and ammuse myself as I see fit so I need something to fill the time

people like being entertained, this goes back to even before the mobs watching Gladiators kill each other

Are you not entertained?

I'm writing a paper about why sports are so important to our culture and i want to include TBD in the paper. So I'm asking Why are you a sports fan? What drives you to devote the time, money and energy rooting for a team? (not just the Bills, any team)

Any help you can provide would be very useful and assuming i have everyone's permission I will use some quotes from here in my final paper. Thanks in advance guys! :thumbdown:

That paper is going to receive an "F"

Sports are the first and best example of REALITY TV.

When you grow up in Buffalo you have to be a Sabres/Bills fan. It's in our blood.

Here's some sports quotes (always good to use in a paper):

"I always turn to the sports section first.  The sports page records people's accomplishments; the front page has nothing but man's failures."  ~Earl Warren

"Sports is human life in microcosm."  ~Howard Cosell

"We are inclined that if we watch a football game or baseball game, we have taken part in it."  ~John F. Kennedy, 1961

"When it comes to sports I am not particularly interested.  Generally speaking, I look upon them as dangerous and tiring activities performed by people with whom I share nothing except the right to trial by jury."  ~Fran Lebowitz

"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls' sports, such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such and such."  ~Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

"Pain heals.  Chicks dig scars.  Glory lasts forever."  ~Vince McKewin, from the movie The Replacements

"The essence of sports is that while you're doing it, nothing else matters, but after you stop, there is a place, generally not very important, where you would put it."  ~Roger Bannister

"People understand contests.  You take a bunch of kids throwing rocks at random and people look askance, but if you go and hold a rock-throwing contest - people understand that."  ~Don Murray

its a hobby, i follow supercross and moto gp because I ride, and I'm a motorcycle technician for a living. and I follow football because its something to do, and i enjoy taking pride in a local sports team. i like football over other sports because there's more game-planning and stategy involved.

my parents instilled a very competitive spirit in me when i was little. i hate losing more than i like winning....its perverse.

knowing that you were in competition w/someone, and their sense of loss was a result of your win, is the best.

my parents instilled a very competitive spirit in me when i was little. i hate losing more than i like winning....its perverse.

knowing that you were in competition w/someone, and their sense of loss was a result of your win, is the best.

How's being a Bill's fan working out for you then??

j/k