Shawn Andrews

ESPN.com news services

Andrews, the 16th overall selection in the 2004 NFL draft, was moved to right tackle last summer to replace longtime starter Jon Runyan. However, he never played a down.

Runyan retired from the NFL earlier this year to run for a House seat as a Republican in a historically Republican district in New Jersey. His campaign formally begins Thursday.

What moved the ESPN snip reporter to add that? :thumbdown:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say add the guy...what's the worst that could happen...he stinks we let him go...we know the kid could play at one point...so he's a little mental...he'll get over it, he's young...the kid can block...our tackles can't...add him into the mix...see what happens...that's my opinion

Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him

i mean, its not impossible, we will see what happens with hargrove but being in new orleans has been incredible for him thus far.

even if hes not 100%, he could be a good option, barring him having a total meltdown. i guess thats the hard part to predict, and it can be very hard on a locker room to watch someone go through that though.

I feel for the guy either way.

He is VERY injury prone, but to come in and compete on an incentive laden contract might not be a bad idea

there is a big question mark with his desire to even play...he's been hurt and suffers from depression, no thanks

i would be surprised if he ever played again

Well said and once again I know nothing about mental health and hope I didnt offend anyone by my post. I honestly did not mean too.

I took no offense, i know it is very difficult to understand as i dont understand myself most days. i felt that was worth sharing so hoefully we dont call him lazy for the wrong reasons.

I too have trouble motivating myself sometimes and it makes college a real B word. i cant imagine being a professional athlete

I dont mean to offend anyone who battled this condition but how depressed can you be as a young 27 year old making millions of dollars a year playing a sport? I know there is probably more that we dont know about but still...

Back here in Britain there was a brilliant show on a few weeks ago dealing with exactly this. Sportsmen who have to deal with depression and the impact its had on their lives. It is very misunderstood in fairness to you. I will see if I can find it so I can add a link here. It was very insightful.

EDIT:

Its called Mind Games: Depression in Sport. It was done by the BBC and you can download it on most torrent sites if your interested. Its well worth it even if you dont like cricket :thumbdown:

Living in Jersey and following the Eagles' media it has been sad to see how Andrews' mental health has impacted him. I think the Eagles had brought his brother in to try to alleviate some of the issues but it didn't work.

He may have the physical talent to be a right guard but the Eagles' experiment at right tackle never happened because Shawn just couldn't bring himself to play. There are many many media stories about the impact of his mental health issues on his relationship to the team.

It is wonderful to hope that through medication his ability to live a normal life can be a reality but the pressures of professional football might just be beyond hope for him.

I don't see him as a right tackle and I can just imagine the Wall's comments about Nix and company's decision to sign a guy with a history of depression the first time he walks away from the team or doesn't show up for a game like has happened in Philly.

Give him a pass on signing with the Bills and pray that he is able to live a normal life.

Unfortunately not a good risk/reward profile. Besides Nix and Gailey seem to steer clear of talented but troubled players viz Incognito. They seem to prioritize discipline on the field and chemistry in the clubhouse. Still, wishing S. Andrews all the best, first and foremost in life and in football too, assuming he ever plays again, which seems doubtful.

Unfortunately not a good risk/reward profile. Besides Nix and Gailey seem to steer clear of talented but troubled players viz Incognito. They seem to prioritize discipline on the field and chemistry in the clubhouse. Still, wishing S. Andrews all the best, first and foremost in life and in football too, assuming he ever plays again, which seems doubtful.

haha They signed a OT who beat his wife with a mop handle!

I didn't say "high character" (that was Dick's schtick). Never heard he was a problem in the clubhouse or on the field (except for being a penalty machine two years ago).

Sorry, I knew what you were getting at but why let that spoil a witty retort? :thumbdown:

It did make me laugh though thinking that they signed Green and then followed it up by signing Davis who we saw gouging someones eye. Are we the new raiders in more ways than one?

per rotoworld

Eagles released OL Shawn Andrews.

Andrews, a first-team All Pro in 2006 and a Pro Bowler as recently as 2007, has missed all but two games over the last two seasons due to multiple back operations and depression. He's only 27 years old and was due a modest $2 million salary, but the Eagles clearly grew tired of Andrews' mental and physical problems. He'll get another chance elsewhere, assuming he wants to. It's believed Andrews may no longer be interested in football.

This guy sounds perfect for the Bills.

Suffering from depression?

Join the Buffalo Bills!

I dont mean to offend anyone who battled this condition but how depressed can you be as a young 27 year old making millions of dollars a year playing a sport? I know there is probably more that we dont know about but still...

You can be young, rich, good looking etc... and suffer from all sort of mental illness- including depression.

I agree with what someone else said. If he passes a physical and appears to have shaken off some of his demons, throw him an incentive-laden contract. If he sucks, you cut him and no harm.

The guy was a Pro Bowler 2 years ago. Unless he's completely broken (body and mind), he'd be a rare Bills lineman with an upside.

Plus, he'll soothe the pain of losing Jonathon Scott.

^^

sign him up!