With the 9th pick .... Dan Williams

Stay with me for a moment... RT, LB, and DE in FA. Bell and Levitre (I know he has short arms and it is doubtful but at least in the conversation) compete for LT with Meredith a back-up for RT. That leaves QB and NT. Both Bradford and Clausen may be gone. If two or three of the best OT are gone, I think Dan Williams at NT may be the guy. The Buffalo version of the Williams brothers rotating at NT may not be a bad combination. Kyle is undersized but may be a beast on passing downs. Dan Williams seems to have the size, 6-2 325 is what I saw listed, to be the run stuffer. That leaves the second and third rounds to take a OT, QB, LB or WR.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see any Tennesse games and the only higlights I saw were of Berry and Lane Kiffin leaving. Every mock I see Dan Williams going to Miami to play in the 3-4 against the Bills twice a year. I say pick the anchor for the defense this year.

Stay with me for a moment... RT, LB, and DE in FA. Bell and Levitre (I know he has short arms and it is doubtful but at least in the conversation) compete for LT with Meredith a back-up for RT. That leaves QB and NT. Both Bradford and Clausen may be gone. If two or three of the best OT are gone, I think Dan Williams at NT may be the guy. The Buffalo version of the Williams brothers rotating at NT may not be a bad combination. Kyle is undersized but may be a beast on passing downs. Dan Williams seems to have the size, 6-2 325 is what I saw listed, to be the run stuffer. That leaves the second and third rounds to take a OT, QB, LB or WR.

I'd love taking him at 9. He's got game and would be a huge anchor along that line for years... not to mention whenever they want to bulk up for big downs, kyle would be a nice guy next to him or to spell him. not against picking him unless Okung is there. He is the real deal.... for the 1,000th time - NO QBs in round 1!!!!

DT's like Jimmy Kennedy, Glenn Dorsey, Amobi Okoye and even this year's bumper crop worry me. They seems to bust a lot and one article put the DT bust rate at nearly 50%.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftquarterbackriskmyth.php

Take the BPA at a position of need. If it's Williams, fine. Morgan, fine. Claussen, fine. Just please god, no Ronnie Harmons.

I'd love taking him at 9. He's got game and would be a huge anchor along that line for years... not to mention whenever they want to bulk up for big downs, kyle would be a nice guy next to him or to spell him. not against picking him unless Okung is there. He is the real deal.... for the 1,000th time - NO QBs in round 1!!!!

I didn't see any Tennesse games and the only higlights I saw were of Berry and Lane Kiffin leaving. Every mock I see Dan Williams going to Miami to play in the 3-4 against the Bills twice a year. I say pick the anchor for the defense this year.

Any pick but Dan Williams will really disappoint me., if not make me; :doh: Not only is he a great player at a huge position of need for Buffalo, keeping him from Miami is an added bonus.

DT's like Jimmy Kennedy, Glenn Dorsey, Amobi Okoye and even this year's bumper crop worry me. They seems to bust a lot and one article put the DT bust rate at nearly 50%.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftquarterbackriskmyth.php

Take the BPA at a position of need. If it's Williams, fine. Morgan, fine. Claussen, fine. Just please god, no Ronnie Harmons.

DTs yes, but are they distinguishing between DTs and NTs? I'd like to see the breakdown of how highly rated NTs who get drafted to play in the 3-4 do.

DTs yes, but are they distinguishing between DTs and NTs? I'd like to see the breakdown of how highly rated NTs who get drafted to play in the 3-4 do.

Well, that number HAS to be less because you expect your NT to do less than a DT. If a NT can't rush the passer, who cares.

What type of defense does UTenn play??

I believe that Cody is the only top NT prospect to have actually played in a 3-4. Pretty sure that Williams and Thomas played in a 4-3 base scheme in college. Williams seems to be the best of the group when you combine his strength, athletic ability, and his size. I would be content if he were the pick @ #9, if Bulaga and Okung are off the board of course.

I live in East Tennessee and have seen every Vols game folks...........STOP!!! The only reason people are calling for Dan Williams at 9 is because you've read he is the best NT prospect in the draft supposedly. This would be WAY too high for him. He'd be a nice player to have and all but he can't raise the level of a teams run D like someone like T Cody has. Williams didn't really even do that for his college team people, taking him top 10 would be a HUGE reach. He's also a one year wonder somewhat as he only had one good season and that was under ole Monte Kiffen in a 4-3 defense. If we had a pick in the late 20's sure, I'd like Dan Williams. But don't try and make yourselves feel better by thinking this is a chance to right the wrong of the Whitner/ Ngata disaster. Williams is not an elite prospect like that.

I live in East Tennessee and have seen every Vols game folks...........STOP!!! The only reason people are calling for Dan Williams at 9 is because you've read he is the best NT prospect in the draft supposedly. This would be WAY too high for him. He'd be a nice player to have and all but he can't raise the level of a teams run D like someone like T Cody has. Williams didn't really even do that for his college team people, taking him top 10 would be a HUGE reach. He's also a one year wonder somewhat as he only had one good season and that was under ole Monte Kiffen in a 4-3 defense. If we had a pick in the late 20's sure, I'd like Dan Williams. But don't try and make yourselves feel better by thinking this is a chance to right the wrong of the Whitner/ Ngata disaster. Williams is not an elite prospect like that.

I see you're a man who knows his football. Say NO to Dan Williams at #9. LET the fins draft him. They'd be much more dangerous drafting dez Bryant, cj spiller, or ANY of the LBs. The guy is NOT that good.

No to Williams at 9. He would be Lil Donte part 2. Cody could be had late first early second.

OT may slide down the board due to Bradford maybe going to the Rams and Clausen to the Skins.

If they are off the board before the Bills pick they will have a damn good chance at getting a solid LT.

Then if you have to move up in the second to get Cody do it.

OT, NT, QB first 3 rounds.

No to Williams at 9. He would be Lil Donte part 2. Cody could be had late first early second.

OT may slide down the board due to Bradford maybe going to the Rams and Clausen to the Skins.

If they are off the board before the Bills pick they will have a damn good chance at getting a solid LT.

Then if you have to move up in the second to get Cody do it.

OT, NT, QB first 3 rounds.

+1 I agree.

Geez, two consecutive threads I'm agreeing with you. Just because he's a big body doesn't mean he's our answer, particularly at #9. Cody better fits our needs. It's shaping up that we need a two down run stuffer and to let the penetrators in on 3rd down. Williams is unproven. Cody is like moving a hay stack. But at the end of the day, I'll trust Buddy to get it right. He's not a fan of one year wonders.

LEFT TACKLE is by far our biggest need, it is likely that a LT will be the highest rated player available when we pick......the only thing stopping the bills from going that way is if bradford or clausen is there, which they won't be.

If you have Bell and Levitre are our two possibilities at LT, then we won't have an LT. Neither guy is an LT. Two or three years from now, it's vaguely possible Bell might grow into something, but if one thing was showed for sure last year, it was that Bell isn't even close to being a functional backup at LT right now, and Levitre doesn't have the feet.

Dan Williams? Maybe. Bell and Levitre at LT? If that's the way it works out, our QB should apply for a frequent flier discount at the emergency room and try to get a bulk discount on Tiger Balm.

NO QBs in round 1!!! YEAH!

Unless Clausen or Bradford are available, of course.