Why the Walrus Took Jake

Interesting article in the paper today about why Mike Homgren signed Jake Delhomme. Here's a quote straight from the Walrus' mouth, "My own belief is this team needs an aging veteran," Holmgren said. "They need a guy that is going to grab everybody by the throat and say, 'Follow me through that door.' I don't look at him as an aging veteran, I look at him as the leader I wanted."

Bills are in a very similar position as the Clowns.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L#ixzz0iPRL7z0F

This is what I've been thinking for a while. We should get a veteran QB who has actually won something in the NFL. That will bring the team together as the team will rally around and support a proven winner. If we go with Brohm or Troy Smith or Charles Whitehurst, or Tyler Pigpen, or some other newbie QB, what has he ever won? What kind of confidence will that inspire? Does he even know how to win?

With Jake, his fellow players know he knows how to get to the SB because he's been there.

Don't know, it's what Mike "the QB guru" Holmgren thinks.

No comments from anyone on taking a QB for leadership ability as opposed to youth and "upside" for a team that doesn't know how to win? Sounds like a good plan to me and Mike "the QB guru" Holmgren. Anyone else?

Jake and the Fat Man?

Interesting article in the paper today about why Mike Homgren signed Jake Delhomme. Here's a quote straight from the Walrus' mouth, "My own belief is this team needs an aging veteran," Holmgren said. "They need a guy that is going to grab everybody by the throat and say, 'Follow me through that door.' I don't look at him as an aging veteran, I look at him as the leader I wanted."

This is what I've been thinking for a while. We should get a veteran QB who has actually won something in the NFL. That will bring the team together as the team will rally around and support a proven winner. If we go with Brohm or Troy Smith or Charles Whitehurst, or Tyler Pigpen, or some other newbie QB, what has he ever won? What kind of confidence will that inspire? Does he even know how to win?

With Jake, his fellow players know he knows how to get to the SB because he's been there.

Who is gonna follow a player that talks a great game but then goes out and is such a basket case that he can't stop throwing interceptions on the field?

I would have a problem following a guy like that...sorry, I don't buy it. I have to ask---is this the guy I want the players on my team following? A guy who is so rattled in a playoff game that his team is out of it after the first 5 minutes of play, and then carries that over into the next season and is benched halfway thru the year?

No comments from anyone on taking a QB for leadership ability as opposed to youth and "upside" for a team that doesn't know how to win? Sounds like a good plan to me and Mike "the QB guru" Holmgren. Anyone else?

Im all for a QB with leadership...just dont see one out in FA

Im on the Tebow Train personally...he will be a leader this team needs

Who is gonna follow a player that talks a great game but then goes out and is such a basket case that he can't stop throwing interceptions on the field?

I would have a problem following a guy like that...sorry, I don't buy it. I have to ask---is this the guy I want the players on my team following? A guy who is so rattled in a playoff game that his team is out of it after the first 5 minutes of play, and then carries that over into the next season and is benched halfway thru the year?

I was thinking more of SB in 2003 and NFC Championship in 2005. Our players would follow that I think. Holmgren thinks his guys would. I would before I'd follow Brohm or Fitz or Trent ...

Im all for a QB with leadership...just dont see one out in FA

Im on the Tebow Train personally...he will be a leader this team needs

I'd rather have McCoy.. he already knows how to throw.

I was thinking more of SB in 2003 and NFC Championship in 2005. Our players would follow that I think. Holmgren thinks his guys would. I would before I'd follow Brohm or Fitz or Trent ...

Delhomme admitted he had no confidence last year---the guy was worse than Fitz and Edwards, and for that fact, JaMarcus Russell...

Dude, have you not watched the NFL the past 2 seasons??? Jake Dellomme SUCKS!! You lose all credibility when you make statements like this!!

Yeah Jake led the panthers right into the toilet.

Dude, have you not watched the NFL the past 2 seasons??? Jake Dellomme SUCKS!! You lose all credibility when you make statements like this!!

Yeah, because you know so much more than Holmgren.

Delhomme has been good in the past. Can Holmgren get him back to that? There's a chance.

Even if he sucks?

Jake Delhomme is a bum now...nobody in Carolina followed him near the end...they follow guys that can play and handle the limelight when they do play...leadership ability is meaningless if you can't go out and play well...people will like ya, but they won't believe they are going to any SB's if you're throwing five interceptions...and let a guy that can't do his job grab me by the throat...I'd punch him in the teeth and tell him, when you stop throwing interceptions, I'll follow you through whatever door you want, but until you stop doing that...keep walkin pal

Yeah Jake led the panthers right into the toilet.

It's obvious to me why the Seahawks a few years ago ORDERED him to relinguish his GM position. When Holmgren expressed a desire to return to the Seahawks after his hiatus the organization succinctly told him no. Holmgren is a very good HC. But as a GM his record is less than sterling.

That's about a dumb a thing as I've heard. Really, if Buddy said that this board would be up and down his *ss for the next month.