Latest ProFootballWeekly.com Mock Draft

Estro

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree that Jackson is an "excellent" #1 RB. Jackson had a very nice season last year, but he

did not have to carry the full load and he is closing in on 30 y.o. when many RBs fall off a cliff. Jackson is not a

top 15 RB in the league. Note that I am not saying he is bad or disrespecting him, I just think that calling him

"excellent" is over-estimating his ability.

That being said, I still don't like the idea of the Bills' first pick being spent on a RB. However, with the way that

mock draft is laid out, there isn't a LT left worth taking at 9, I don't like everything that I've read about Clausen

(especially that he is rumored to not be well-liked by his teammates) and there isn't a NT worth the 9th pick. So,

where do you go with that pick? If it were me, I'd look at helping the D at either DE or LB, but I'd still have to

consider Spiller as he would likely be rated much higher than any of the DEs or LBs left at that point.

Jackson's not a to 15 back? Man, I totally disagree with that. And I discovered with a little research that so does profootballfocus.com, which has him at #8. I think that's pretty reasonable. 4.5 YPC is excellent, particularly when Marshawn only got 3.8 behind the same OL. And he was a dangerous reciever too.

Has everyone forgotten that Freddy J is close to 30 yrs old AND Inch is probably on his way out, if not this year, next year? Spiller is a phenom and I can't say I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with the pick. No, not the greatest need, but what the writer says in his comments is true...the kid will be a game changer, and true to form of the running back tandum, he provides a much greater change of pace than Inch. Again, not my top choice, but certainly not a bad pick. :pirate:

If we were a fairly solid teams without so many gaping holes, maybe. In the current situation, yeah, it's a bad pick.

Jackson won't be 30 till after the season and he has MUCH less wear-and-tear on him than the average RB. Who knows whether Marshawn is on the way out? None of us do. When you can get a very solid RB in the middle rounds, this is simply not a good pick, IMHO.

RBs are a dime a dozen and last 6 years. We got a damn good one from a D-3 school for christsake, drafting a RB in the early first round early rarely makes sense...and then only when he's got Hall of Fame type skills. I like CJ Spiller but he's no Ladanian or Purple Jesus

As much as the sexy pick gets everyone excited, even myself sometimes, I have to agree with you. RB"s seems to have a 6-7 year shelf life and quality starters can be found in the mid-late rounds. I like everything I've heard and seen about Spiller, but I just don't like the idea of taking a RB, we are simply too bad to go that route.

I'm also a big proponent for drafting the best player available, so what if he's cleary the #1 guy on your board when you pick. Do you go against your strategy and draft a need? I think the need picks is what's really, really hurt the Bills the last handful of years.

I'm putting my trust in Buddy Nix over the next 2-3 years, and giving him a chance to build this team from the bottom up.

By the way, does anyone know for sure if Buddy Nix has 100% control over football operations? I know that seems to be the general consensus, but I haven't heard if it's actual fact. I really hope it's the case because anything but 100% control for Nix, and the Bills will continue to sputter.

Nolan Nawrocki's 2nd mock draft (updated from a month ago). Not surprised to see Trent Williams as the #1 OT taken, although there's been a lot of talk about Okung, I've heard many NFL Scouts have Williams rated #1. This Bills pick would make the fans flip out (in a bad way), but it wouldn't be shocking. Here it is:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/1...ld-make-history

Honestly this kid is ridiculously good. Watch tape of him on youtube, you'll see. But its only a good move if we can get something for Marshawn. 3rd round pick? Then I take Spiller. Sure. But then you have to go line, line after that.

Lets not forget, this is gonna be a minimum 2 year process here. So spending 1 pick on a guy that could be a superstar? Its actually not that bad. And I am 100% for building from the inside out.

I dont think anyone denies that Spiller won't be a great back in the NFL. His speed is outrageous, his juke moves remind folks of Barry Sanders coming out of college and on top of all of that physical skill he has one of the most solid characters in the entire draft.

It still would be a bad pick for Buffalo. Even if they end up trading Lynch, you can find a decent backup RB in the 3rd or 4th round or via FA . Fred Jackson doesn't have a lot of NFL mileage on him for a 29 year old and will be effective for at least the next 2-3 years.

We desperately need help along the Offensive and Defensive lines, and its clear that Nix knows this.

Spiller is going to be a damn good NFL runningback, it just wont be for us. Lets hope it's not for the Pats, Jets or Fins either.

I for one would do cartwheels if the Buffalo Bills picked C.J. Spiller in the 1st. I would be pissed if they left him on the board. Outrageous talent. Pure football speed. Why go with the status quo of a decent backup. When a special, special talent is left on the board. Buffalo is not going to win the SB this year. Put yourself in the position to win in 3 years from know.

Nolan Nawrocki's 2nd mock draft (updated from a month ago). Not surprised to see Trent Williams as the #1 OT taken, although there's been a lot of talk about Okung, I've heard many NFL Scouts have Williams rated #1. This Bills pick would make the fans flip out (in a bad way), but it wouldn't be shocking. Here it is:

Spiller is a great back, but the Bills need to on one tract both in free agency and the draft;" BUILD TWO DOMINATE LINES!!!!"

If we were to draft Spiller. Now what? We have this possibly good to great RB. Who's going to block for him? Who's going to get the ball to him? Who's going to get the ball back from the other team for him?

This is going to take 2 years for the Bills to rebuild. We need to straighten out the lines first, then work your way out. We already have Fred and Beast Mode, at least for a couple years. Bills need to get players for positions they don't have quality and quantity in.

A warning to everyone that is complaining about this already and saying it would be a bad pick for the Bills....I see this one coming, and personally I like it. It would be a return to Best Player Available philosophy rather than the Needs-based picks we have seen recently. All of the teams with successfully recent track records in the draft go with Best Player Available.

I predict the top OTs will be gone by the time we pick, and with the signings today of Davis and Edwards, you can cross off McClain or a reach for Dan Williams. Best Player Available would be down to Spiller, Dez Bryant and maybe Claussen. Nix will not pick T.O. Jr. (Bryant) and so it comes down to Spiller and Claussen.

Given that I think a trade for Thigpen is still in the works, you end up with Spiller. Gailey will find all sorts of ways to use him - like a Percy Harvin, but used as a RB more often.

Imagine a 4 WR set with Lynch in the backfield:

Evans - Freddie Jackson - Spiller - Hardy / Johnson (and this is assuming we don't pick a better WR in the draft).

This would likely leave a LB covering either Spiller or Jackson - no chance.

Yes, we need OT desperately, but I really think if the top ones go, you'll see them wait until Round 2. I know everyone will hate it, just don't be surprised.

I'd take a home run threat every time he touches the ball in Spiller in a heartbeat

I'd take a home run threat every time he touches the ball in Spiller in a heartbeat

Again, I really like Spiller but can you honestly say he is better than Bush coming out of college???? I don't think you can and Bush's main contribution is as a decoy. You don't draft decoy in the top 10 when rbs are plentiful and you have a 2 former 1,000 yard rushers all ready on the roster.

Jackson's not a to 15 back? Man, I totally disagree with that. And I discovered with a little research that so does profootballfocus.com, which has him at #8. I think that's pretty reasonable. 4.5 YPC is excellent, particularly when Marshawn only got 3.8 behind the same OL. And he was a dangerous reciever too.

Jackson would actually be higher, as he ranked 2nd in Pass Catching and 5th in Rushing, if not for ranking dead last by a mile in pass blocking. He compares favorably in a lot of categories with many of the good backs in the league...

A warning to everyone that is complaining about this already and saying it would be a bad pick for the Bills....I see this one coming, and personally I like it. It would be a return to Best Player Available philosophy rather than the Needs-based picks we have seen recently. All of the teams with successfully recent track records in the draft go with Best Player Available.

I predict the top OTs will be gone by the time we pick, and with the signings today of Davis and Edwards, you can cross off McClain or a reach for Dan Williams. Best Player Available would be down to Spiller, Dez Bryant and maybe Claussen. Nix will not pick T.O. Jr. (Bryant) and so it comes down to Spiller and Claussen.

Given that I think a trade for Thigpen is still in the works, you end up with Spiller. Gailey will find all sorts of ways to use him - like a Percy Harvin, but used as a RB more often.

Imagine a 4 WR set with Lynch in the backfield:

Evans - Freddie Jackson - Spiller - Hardy / Johnson (and this is assuming we don't pick a better WR in the draft).

This would likely leave a LB covering either Spiller or Jackson - no chance.

Yes, we need OT desperately, but I really think if the top ones go, you'll see them wait until Round 2. I know everyone will hate it, just don't be surprised.

Kind of a ridiculous prediction considering at least 7 tackles or more will go in the first round.

I tend to think the fact that the Bills are desperate for a top LT and will draft one no matter who is still on the board

I am totally for this pick. He is a difference maker . He is was LT used to be. A pure game changer. This is the type of pick that makes an immediate impact. Draft him in the 1st and Tebow in the 2nd and you have the heart and soul for your team to build around!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

The problem is he can't gain yardage constantly running into the backs of his blockers because there is no hole. I acknowledge that this would be a great pick if the Bills had even a decent O line...they don't.

Look at the NY Jets / Ravens and their O line, basically any RB / QB can be good behind those lines.