Bills QB situation

Maddog69

I've been thinking about who I would prefer the Bills to pursue at QB.

They already have 3 young QBs on the roster who can definitely fill the #2 and #3 QB slots and potentially improve (especially Brohm, less so with Trent, not so with Fitz).

Here is what I think we should do at QB (ranked in order of my priority)

The idea here being that the 3 guys on the roster will be brought in to camp to compete for a spot in the top 3.

I would love a trade for Mcnabb (if available). Problem solved for a few years. Would you give philly our #1 pick in 2011 for McNabb ?. I realize this most likely will never happen. So, on to more likely options.

1.) Trade with Baltimore for Troy Smith and have him compete (and most likely win) the starting job. Brohm becomes #2 or #3. Fitz and Trent fight for the other slot. Smith is an RFA. We can sign him and only have to give up a 3 if they don’t match. I think we could get him for less than a 3. But I'd be fine with giving up a 3 to get him. Maybe a bigger package deal to get Gaither too.

2.) Trade with Miami for Thigpen. Has worked with Gailey. Fits the system. Would fight it out with the others just as Smith would and most likely go into 2010 as the starter. I know, Miami probably won't trade him to us.

3.) Trade for Vick. Draft Tebow. Let the other 3 fight for the 3rd spot on the roster.

4.) Sign Delhomme and focus on building a strong O-line. Maybe resign T.O.

5.) Sign Jeff Garcia. Draft Tebow

7.) Sign Derek Anderson or trade for Quinn or Travaris Jackson or some other crappy washed-up never was.

I really like my #1 scenario and this is what I want to happen. So it won't.

The thing is, QB's usually take 3-4 years to develop "if" they are kept in the same system, same coaches, same team. The Bills currently have 3 relatively young QB's on the roster and different isn't always better.

My take on the Bills QB situation is Trent Edwards has shown flashes that he can be really good given decent protection and a good game plan, (week one at NE)among others.

This coaching staff needs to build a decent O line and scheme and see if Edwards can fit that scheme, he is after all just going into his 4th year. Leave Edwards as the starter and see how he preforms in training camp.

Then, I'd say let the Bills draft a OT 1st pick and the Tim Tebow with the 2nd pick as Mike Mayock gave Tebow a glowing endorsement stating this guy could be a great QB in 2 years in given time to develop properly and learn NFL techniques.

The Bills could use Tebow in various situations similar to the "wildcat" while teaching him and letting him play part time, like Vick is doing in Philly.

P.S. I wouldn't give anything for McNabb much less that #9 pick this year, the guy has been injured off and on the past few years and he would be horrid behind a very inexperienced Bills line. Plus the Bills have so many areas of needs I wouldn't give away a 3rd rounder for Troy Smith either, that pick could be a starting LB or NT.

What has Troy Smith done in the NFL that warrants adding yet another QB to the roster when we have holes all over the place? Ok he was good in college, but so was Ken Doresy and I recall people clamoring to get him in a Bills uni.

Troy Smith's resume is so huge that entrusting him with the franchise is a rational and cogent thought. :doh:

Guy couldn't beat out a rookie Joe Flacco, but he's now good enough for Buffalo? Well, then again, it is the Bills we're talking about.

Troy Smith's resume is so huge that entrusting him with the franchise is a rational and cogent thought. :doh:

Guy couldn't beat out a rookie Joe Flacco, but he's now good enough for Buffalo? Well, then again, it is the Bills we're talking about.

I don't like the idea either but your arguement sucks I would gladly take Flacco on our team although he would have done nothing behind our O-line. So I don't think you can knock a guy for not beating out Flacco.

They already have 3 young QBs on the roster who can definitely fill the #2 and #3 QB slots and potentially improve (especially Brohm, less so with Trent, not so with Fitz).

The idea here being that the 3 guys on the roster will be brought in to camp to compete for a spot in the top 3.

I would love a trade for Mcnabb (if available). Problem solved for a few years. Would you give philly our #1 pick in 2011 for McNabb ?. I realize this most likely will never happen. So, on to more likely options.

1.) Trade with Baltimore for Troy Smith and have him compete (and most likely win) the starting job. Brohm becomes #2 or #3. Fitz and Trent fight for the other slot. Smith is an RFA. We can sign him and only have to give up a 3 if they don’t match. I think we could get him for less than a 3. But I'd be fine with giving up a 3 to get him. Maybe a bigger package deal to get Gaither too.

2.) Trade with Miami for Thigpen. Has worked with Gailey. Fits the system. Would fight it out with the others just as Smith would and most likely go into 2010 as the starter. I know, Miami probably won't trade him to us.

3.) Trade for Vick. Draft Tebow. Let the other 3 fight for the 3rd spot on the roster.

7.) Sign Derek Anderson or trade for Quinn or Travaris Jackson or some other crappy washed-up never was.

Why do Bills fan's alway's feel the need to dumpster dive?

Fits the system ????????? What system? Have you listened to Coach Gailey and his offensive guy at all? He doesn't run an East Coast. North Coast whatever. He sees what he's got and builds an offense around that.

Sounds to me unfortunately that he thinks he can win with what we've got what or we can get in the draft. Or maybe he's workin' something else. It's still early.

I do like the Delhomme and TO thing though.

What happened to #6 ?? (here it is) 6.) Sign a proven winner with heart Garcia (save money) & let the 3 others we have shoot it out for #2 & #3 - develop the one with the most up side to keep for no less than #2 or better !!! :doh: I really like #6 !!!!

He actually did beat out Flacco. Got sick. Flacco lit it up and never came out after that.

What happened to #6 ?? (here it is) 6.) Sign a proven winner with heart Garcia (save money) & let the 3 others we have shoot it out for #2 & #3 - develop the one with the most up side to keep for no less than #2 or better !!! :doh: I really like #6 !!!!

Garcia of several years ago, sure. Not anymore. He's like 40 and has a fork stuck in his back.

Fits the system ????????? What system? Have you listened to Coach Gailey and his offensive guy at all? He doesn't run an East Coast. North Coast whatever. He sees what he's got and builds an offense around that.

Sounds to me unfortunately that he thinks he can win with what we've got what or we can get in the draft. Or maybe he's workin' something else. It's still early.

Good point. I didn't really mean to say "fits the system". What I was thinking with Thigpen is that he has a history with Chan so it would be easier for Chan to develop a system around him and move forward with what they had already worked on in the past so the learning curve would not be as steep.

Are you on crack? Seriously? Troy Smith (WTF?) Brohm #2 (WTF?), Trade for Thigpen (seriously?) Common sense says you wouldn't want Troy Smith anyway, but give up a #3 to boot?

His "offensive guy"?

No, I haven't heard that guy say anything yet.

In fact, I thought we were pretty much guaranteed that guy wasn't going to be saying much all year.

What has Troy Smith done in the NFL that warrants adding yet another QB to the roster when we have holes all over the place? Ok he was good in college, but so was Ken Doresy and I recall people clamoring to get him in a Bills uni.

Yep - a good college QB. With OSU...a perennial powerhouse (recent bowl games notwithstanding) with overall talent on both sides of the ball, year after year. They are a desired destination for high schoolers, and have the advantage of drawing from a State that's one of the high school football hotbeds.

His pro stats are minimal. But he's been on their team for 3 years and knows their system. My guess is that if somebody came up with a really generous offer, they'd trade him. Otherwise - keep him.

Yep - a good college QB. With OSU...a perennial powerhouse (recent bowl games notwithstanding) with overall talent on both sides of the ball, year after year. They are a desired destination for high schoolers, and have the advantage of drawing from a State that's one of the high school football hotbeds.

His pro stats are minimal. But he's been on their team for 3 years and knows their system. My guess is that if somebody came up with a really generous offer, they'd trade him. Otherwise - keep him.

The bolded part is the only important fact.

The NFL has pretty much ignored OSU QB's for a reason.

Actually, he was, until he got sick: http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/09/03/infection-...b-in-baltimore/

To clear up another misconception in this thread, the tender is a fifth-round pick, not a third. For that relatively low price, I'd think about taking a look at him.

Just so you know, Smith was scheduled to be the starter for Baltimore the year they drafted Flaco. He got an infection and went on IR. He did not lose the job to Flaco. Flaco got the job after Smith went on IR.

Just so you know, Smith was scheduled to be the starter for Baltimore the year they drafted Flaco. He got an infection and went on IR. He did not lose the job to Flaco. Flaco got the job after Smith went on IR.

The point is meaningless. At some point Smith's infection cleared yet he was still on the bench because everyone was convinced that Flacco was better.

Just so you know, he never sniffed the job when he came back, so yes he did lose it to Flacco.

Just so you know, he never sniffed the job when he came back, so yes he did lose it to Flacco.

So because Flacco is really good, that means that the backup must suck? Could any of our QB's beat out Flacco for the starting job? In fact, how many other QB's in the league (starters included) would have been able to get Flacco off the field after he starting producing in his rookie year?

Actually, he was, until he got sick: http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/09/03/infection-...b-in-baltimore/

To clear up another misconception in this thread, the tender is a fifth-round pick, not a third. For that relatively low price, I'd think about taking a look at him.

You stole the words right out of my mouth. I would be thrilled to have him for a 5th rd pick and I believe that between him Brohm and Trent a quality QB could emerge this season. Why not? He won the starting job and had a freak illness. Baltimore is a great team and Ozzie Newsome is a great GM. Smith wants out and he tabbed him with a 5th not because he sucks but because he will get that for him easy. He is essentially granting him his wish and getting what he can for him.. Do it

You stole the words right out of my mouth. I would be thrilled to have him for a 5th rd pick and I believe that between him Brohm and Trent a quality QB could emerge this season. Why not? He won the starting job and had a freak illness. Baltimore is a great team and Ozzie Newsome is a great GM. Smith wants out and he tabbed him with a 5th not because he sucks but because he will get that for him easy. He is essentially granting him his wish and getting what he can for him.. Do it

I agree with the Bolden part, and I doubt that if Troy Smith was a quality back up they would let him go for a 5th round pick.

In the NFL it makes sense to keep every player that can benefit your team, even if they don't want to be there. Considering how many QB's get injured each year why would they let him go for such a low price?