Clausen

major

Clausen improved every year, in every statistical category. He can make every throw under the sun. Deep outs, deep ball, touch passes, and has the arm strength to rifle the ball into a small window if needed. The guy is tough and plays through injuries, having a turf toe on his "plant" foot from the 2nd game on through the whole season. Every time he dropped back he had to plant on that foot first before stepping up to throw. He is calm under pressure as evidenced by his 7 late 4th quarter drives that could've given ND victories this past year, the defense gave up 3 of those games. Look at the numbers he put up without a solid rushing attack or even a top 50 line to OL to play behind. You knew ND was going to throw the ball game in and game out, but they still couldn't stop Clausen from putting up the numbers he did. People keep saying he wasn't liked by his teammates. That's horse manure. Golden Tate was interviewed and applauded Clausen for his leadership abilities and said that the guys were always on Jimmy's side. Is he a little cocky? I don't know him personally so I can't say. But even if he is, aren't we tired of having a bunch of passive pansy QB's around here anyway? Wouldn't you want a guy who shows passion for the game and is confident in his abilities? I don't know about ythe rest of you guys or what you're looking for in a QB, but I'd probably be one of the first in line to buy a #7 Bills jersey with Clausen on the back because I truly believe he's going to be a good NFL QB.

That's crap. King is highly respected, and absolutely everyone was going nuts over Edwards at that point.

You said it before I could. Everyone was calling him the future at that point. Don't blame it on King but you can chalk it up to a ****ty o-line. Edwards may still have something.

Clausen improved every year, in every statistical category. He can make every throw under the sun. Deep outs, deep ball, touch passes, and has the arm strength to rifle the ball into a small window if needed. The guy is tough and plays through injuries, having a turf toe on his "plant" foot from the 2nd game on through the whole season. Every time he dropped back he had to plant on that foot first before stepping up to throw. He is calm under pressure as evidenced by his 7 late 4th quarter drives that could've given ND victories this past year, the defense gave up 3 of those games. Look at the numbers he put up without a solid rushing attack or even a top 50 line to OL to play behind. You knew ND was going to throw the ball game in and game out, but they still couldn't stop Clausen from putting up the numbers he did. People keep saying he wasn't liked by his teammates. That's horse manure. Golden Tate was interviewed and applauded Clausen for his leadership abilities and said that the guys were always on Jimmy's side. Is he a little cocky? I don't know him personally so I can't say. But even if he is, aren't we tired of having a bunch of passive pansy QB's around here anyway? Wouldn't you want a guy who shows passion for the game and is confident in his abilities? I don't know about ythe rest of you guys or what you're looking for in a QB, but I'd probably be one of the first in line to buy a #7 Bills jersey with Clausen on the back because I truly believe he's going to be a good NFL QB.

Save me a spot in line because I would be right behind you. If he's there we have to take him.

I need someone to sell me on why we should draft Clausen if he is available. Frankly, I don't get the hype behind this guy.

Why would I be interested in 'selling' an idea to someone who already has a preconceived notion for which he hasn't provided any justification?

Not liked by his teammates is a major red flag.

Where other than this board or web blogs by people that have no connection to ND football have you heard that he is not liked by his teammates?

I'm still waiting for someone to 'sell me' on why Clausen is not an outstanding QB, because he sure looked like one every time I saw ND play last season.

I need someone to sell me on why we should draft Clausen if he is available. Frankly, I don't get the hype behind this guy. What has he done to warrant this type of attention? I can see the rationale of getting Bradford, McCoy, Snead, or even Tebow, or even trading for Vick. I just can't understand where all the love for Clausen comes from. Again, I need someone to sell me on this. I look forward to reading your comments.

You obviously haven't watched him play and watched him throw. He has played in all types of weather, and throws the ball 40 yards downfield with little to no arch on it, straight ropes. He has been playing for 3 years in a Pro Style offense, is a leader and plays hurt. I am not saying he is as good as Jim Kelly, so don't crucify me, but he has a similar mentality. There is obviously no guarantee he will be good QB, if there were guarantees, the draft wouldn't be the crap shoot that it is, but he is the safest bet in an otherwise weak QB draft class.

I also dont get why everyone loves Bradford soooooo much. He played on a team that was built around the OL and running game. Bradford benefited from being on that team. Yea I know he won the Heisman, because he had great stats, but he never took over a game and won it for his team. When he was asked to do so vrs Texas and Florida he failed. Think Mark Sanchez of the Jets this year. Is anyone going to say Sanchez is a great QB because he lead his team to the AFC Championship game? It was their running game. That was Bradfords 2008 season to a lesser extent.

Now this is not a big deal for most, but I put a lot of emphasis on that factor. A QB needs to carry their team in college if they want to succeed in the NFL. Thats why I said Matt Ryan was the next Peyton Manning level QB when he came out. He carried a completely over matched BC team all the way to #2, and hasnt disappointed at all in the NFL.

Clausen carried the ND offense game after game after game. He did it well too. People question his maturity, and dont think he can handle the pressure of being a 1st round pick, he was the QB at ND for Gods sakes. The QB... at Notre Dame. Please name me one player in college football that deals with more pressure, because you cant. Clausen has reached his ceiling? Why? He improved 10 fold from his soph to jr year, how is that possibly an indication he wont improve more? And since when is playing in a pro system a negative - all of a sudden hes coached up to his max? Im calling shenanigans. Not liked by teammates?... I saw an interview with Golden Tate where he raved about Clausen as a player and person.

I think people read into things way too much. Both these guys will do well in the NFL, I would be happy drafting both. But I think Clausen will do better, and I would take him over Bradford if I had the luxury. (BTW I do think Clausen is a major tool)

I need someone to sell me on why we should draft Clausen if he is available. Frankly, I don't get the hype behind this guy. What has he done to warrant this type of attention? I can see the rationale of getting Bradford, McCoy, Snead, or even Tebow, or even trading for Vick. I just can't understand where all the love for Clausen comes from. Again, I need someone to sell me on this. I look forward to reading your comments.

Maybe you're bored and just want to get a rise out of people.

McCoY? Sold on....Snead?

We would be dumb to take him in the first round without getting an OT in FA if we draft him and he sits on the bench all year everyone will start the new Clausen was a joke of a pick threads. We need to worry about the OL first and unless all the tackles are gone when we go to draft taking another pine rider in the first round would be a joke.

I dont think Bradford is going to be available for our pick but I gotta say is Clausen is there we gotta give him serious consideration.

- Edwards is not the answer

- Fitz is so damn inaccurate

- Brohm is an unknown

BUT I will say this....if they are going to draft a QB at 9 then they better make a real effort to bring in players that will protect him. Our starting LT is not on this roster. I have no problem with Meradith and Bell battling it out for the RT spot. I think we have the interior OL covered.

One other thing.....Maylock says that this is a good draft to get a good blocking tight end......I def think we should do that in times when we need to max protect for a rookie QB. Shawn Nelson is a pass catching tight end.

And this is why Peter King does not work in the front office of any NFL team, his eye for talent is glass

That may be true, but I submit that it's far, far easier for a journalist to evaluate football personnel than it is for a football player to write for a national magazine.

GO BILLS!!!

Why would I be interested in 'selling' an idea to someone who already has a preconceived notion for which he hasn't provided any justification?

Where other than this board or web blogs by people that have no connection to ND football have you heard that he is not liked by his teammates?

I'm still waiting for someone to 'sell me' on why Clausen is not an outstanding QB, because he sure looked like one every time I saw ND play last season.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/03/former-notre-d...neffective.html

I have read it a few places. Sure it is an unnamed source, but I have read it enough that there could be something there. I know teams deliberately put out misinformation to try and get a player to slide to them. But I also do believe where there is smoke there is fire

Bradford has a higher bust factor, spread guy that so far has never had to deal with any significant pressure, or hits, except the times he got hit he got hurt. He has yet to unveil his new arm after the surgery so thats a question mark, and being a spread guy, we have no idea how well he will pick up the complex pro playbook.

Clausen has the arm and no significant injury history, has played in and therefore grasped a prostyle offense, and If you watch any ND games from the past 3 yrs, you can see him get pummeled by opposing defenses and continually come back.

I am not saying Bradford won't be good for somebody, but this blind hate for Clausen is rediculous, Bradford has as many holes if not more than clausen. In fact the main thing that ppl love about him, which is short range accuracy, is the same things ppl say as to why Lefevours stats are meaningless. Its mind boggling.

Im nervous...DarthIce has not seen this yet. I wonder where he is............. :w00t:

google Clausen's 09 stats and compare to Snead's 09 stats...Clausen 1 Snead 0...Clausen is a legit top 10 prospect on most boards and we'd be lucky to have him in the mix competing w THE BROHM.

Thanks for the comments. I feel better about Clausen now after reading some of your posts. Again, I feel a lot of hype surrounds this guy and I wanted to know why. In fact, most of you sold me that he has more upside than Bradford.

Yeah, I don't see what Clausen has other than being the QB of ND. Would much rather take Pike or Lefevour in the third or fourth as they seem to have much more upside. I think in a couple of years and a few lbs. and Pike is going to be awesome. Pike and Lefevour just have that "it" quality you can't coach into a qb. Bradford=no thanks also.

Yeah, I don't see what Clausen has other than being the QB of ND. Would much rather take Pike or Lefevour in the third or fourth as they seem to have much more upside. I think in a couple of years and a few lbs. and Pike is going to be awesome. Pike and Lefevour just have that "it" quality you can't coach into a qb. Bradford=no thanks also.

Pikes issue is consistency and health, he has yet to play an entire season, thats a concern, and for a guy his size, the arm doesn't stack up. I'll take Lefevour though. :thumbsup: