Is Jared Gaither worth the 9th pick?

Isn't this the safest move if the Bills are determined to pick a LT at 9?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...der-on-gaither/

I remember the Ravens getting Gaither in the fifth round of the supplemental draft and wondering why, for the Bills that is, he wouldn't have been worth gambling a fourth round pick for in the regular draft of the following season. I was shaking my head on that one and then I remembered, we're the Bills and they are the Ravens.

I remember the Ravens getting Gaither in the fifth round of the supplemental draft and wondering why, for the Bills that is, he wouldn't have been worth gambling a fourth round pick for in the regular draft of the following season. I was shaking my head on that one and then I remembered, we're the Bills and they are the Ravens.

I was hoping the Bills would make a play for him too that yeartoo.

I really think the Bills are going to consider this. Gaither is a proven NFL LT who is still only 23!

At the end of the day, I wonder why this doesn't happen more. If your giving that coin to someone, why not someone proven. Contracts likely come close either way...

He has to want to be here though for it to work!

At the end of the day, I wonder why this doesn't happen more. If your giving that coin to someone, why not someone proven. Contracts likely come close either way...

He has to want to be here though for it to work!

I think he would. His choices are either stay in Baltimore for at least one season and make a couple million dollars or sign a long term deal with Buffalo for a boatload of guaranteed money.

The GM for the Ravens is Ozzie Newsome. He is one of the best in the business. He has a simple drafting philosophy: Draft the highest rated player on your board. I remember when they drafted Flacco a couple of years ago. When their turn came in the first round they didn't have Flacco rated as high as their draft position. They then made some moves and ended up getting him in the lower first round which reflected where they had him rated.

Last year the Ravens drafted OT Ohrer after we took Maybin. The result was that they got a better player who was productive in his rookie season and the Bills took Maybin who made little contribution in his rookie year. If the Bills would have drafted Ohrer, which would have made sense after the trade of Peters, the Bills would have a greater degree of flexibility in this year's draft.

The Ravens have been a consistently good team for an extended period of time. The Bills have been a consistently bad team for an extended period of time. There should be no surprise why.

This is right up my ally - give up a pick for a proven vet. But in this case I think I hold off. I havent seen much of Gaither, but from what I have seen I think he is a bit overrated. He bends too much at the waist for me and I think we could land Bulaga/CLausen/McClain in the draft. Ill risk it with the draft pick this year.

Wasn't Gaither replaced by Michael Oher (rookie) at LT this year for the last 4 games or so? Pretty sure he was. The only thing is I'm not sure if it was injury related. Could someone let me know whether that was the cause for the move or not?

Wasn't Gaither replaced by Michael Oher (rookie) at LT this year for the last 4 games or so? Pretty sure he was. The only thing is I'm not sure if it was injury related. Could someone let me know whether that was the cause for the move or not?

IIIRC, it was. The rookie Oher struggled at LT, and soon got scooted to RT.

I think he would. His choices are either stay in Baltimore for at least one season and make a couple million dollars or sign a long term deal with Buffalo for a boatload of guaranteed money.

Or the proverbial third choice, just sign a longterm deal with baltimore.

or the fourth choice, sign a long term deal somewhere else.

Its not like we just put out the money and he is ours.

wow, gotta be really tempting for Nix & Gailey. (& Whaley)

you know what you're getting, he has experience, and a 1st round draft choice will cost serious money anyways.

Since it's looking more & more like the top OT's will be gone by #9, sounds like a pretty dam good move.

Why the hell pay a first and third? All of you screaming for a LT at #9 where was this guy DRAFTED??

'The Ravens acquired Gaither with a fifth-round pick in the 2007 supplemental draft. Gaither started 11 games in 2009.'

Why can't Nix find a guy in the 2nd round or later that can be a stud at LT?

Why the hell pay a first and third? All of you screaming for a LT at #9 where was this guy DRAFTED??

'The Ravens acquired Gaither with a fifth-round pick in the 2007 supplemental draft. Gaither started 11 games in 2009.'

With all due respect Darth...

Gaither could not have been drafted, unless he waited a year...

Hence the reason he was supplemental pick...just like Ahmad Brooks.

It's true. Also, the patriots got Brady in the sixth. Why can't these schlubs find a hof qb in the 4th or 5th.... Depending on when the have that LT targetted. I think at 9 they should just draft the Lombardi trophy, in advance of the superbowl those late round flyers will win for us.

Oh wait... One guy a rule does not make.

And ps. It's just a first, not a 1 and 3