2011 Pro Bowl back to Hawaii with a twist

It's a joke. Unfortunately the viewer total was up by 40 percent which means $$$$.

I also think it's a joke that way more -otherwsie unworthy- players will be pro-bowlers. Still, the league had to do something as the game had become worthless.

If I were an owner I would make it known probowls mean nothing to me in negotiating a contract. I mean honestly, is David Garrard going to walk up and say 'Pay me I'm a probowler'?

the whole thing is a joke and should be done away with.

Stupid move to put the game back in Hawaii a week before the SB. Is the NFL now going to force the Pro Bowlers from the SB participants to travel to Hawaii instead of the SB city, just to stand on the sidelines, like they did in Miami? Seems like a hell of a lot of time on an airplane for those guys when they should only be focusing on the big game.

I think the game should be scrapped altogether. To not have the players from the two best teams in the NFL playing is a joke in the first place. Then the game itself is an even bigger joke, since they need to go down to the 3rd or 4th alternate in at least half of the positions by the time the Pro Bowl starters and their back ups and even their back ups finish reporting their end of season "injuries."

The NFL should just have a Pro Bowl awards show the week after the SB staged in Hawaii, so the players can have a real vacation without having to pretend to practice and then play a meaningless football game nobody watches anymore. Instead they can show highlights of the Pro Bowlers best plays, introduce them either on the stadium field during the day, or at a banquet setting inside, and just have a bunch of interviews with them and leave it at that.

Stupid move to put the game back in Hawaii a week before the SB. Is the NFL now going to force the Pro Bowlers from the SB participants to travel to Hawaii instead of the SB city, just to stand on the sidelines, like they did in Miami? Seems like a hell of a lot of time on an airplane for those guys when they should only be focusing on the big game.

I don't think there is any chance that the league would ask the pro bowlers from the SB teams to travel to Hawaii.

The Pro Bowl has always been meaningless, football-lite... I don't have a problem with it being the week before the Super Bowl, even if it means a bunch of guys who should be there, won't. What is the difference? Watching Payton Manning playing two-hand touch is no more entertaining than watching David Garrard.

I will admit, while I haven't watched an entire Pro Bowl in years (since the days when Kelly, Reed, Thurman and Bruce were regular participants), I normally tune into it at the end, or at some point during the broadcast, at least for a few minutes. Surely, Goodell can't make the Super Bowl participants fly to Hawaii to make an appearance. That was really stupid. But, I give Goodell credit for trying something new. In the end, no matter how you do it, no matter when you do it, an all-star football game is never going to be good football. It is merely a way of celebrating the league... it is what it is, you might say!

I find those QB Challenge things that they record after the Pro Bowl, and show in the summer, before the next season starts, to be a bit more entertaining. I still remember the year our own Rob Johnson was tied with somebody else (Jake Plummer maybe?), to win the whole thing, and merely needed to hit a moving target about 20 yards in front of him, to seal the deal...instead, he went for the "bomb" and blew it...that was fun! The final sign that something wasn't right in the head with that kid...

Name All NFC and All AFC teams and maybe 2nd teams.

Make an event the week before the super bowl that is a fun event, attended by people, but mainly made for TV... like a skills competition. Lace the events with well-produced retrospectives on the season and look aheads to the Super Bowl.

The Pro Bowl has always been meaningless, football-lite... I don't have a problem with it being the week before the Super Bowl, even if it means a bunch of guys who should be there, won't. What is the difference? Watching Payton Manning playing two-hand touch is no more entertaining than watching David Garrard.

I will admit, while I haven't watched an entire Pro Bowl in years (since the days when Kelly, Reed, Thurman and Bruce were regular participants), I normally tune into it at the end, or at some point during the broadcast, at least for a few minutes.

Ditto on the bold part. I recall when it was interesting- back in the '60's. AFL Champs played the College All-Stars just prior to pre-season. While it was cool, injuries -from both teams- put an abrupt end to the concept.

If I were an owner I would make it known probowls mean nothing to me in negotiating a contract. I mean honestly, is David Garrard going to walk up and say 'Pay me I'm a probowler'?

the whole thing is a joke and should be done away with.

The sad thing is he is already being paid like a Pro-Bowler

They should at least bring back the skills portion... that was pretty cool when they had it... especially the kicker game of PIG... IIRC there was one where they were kicking like 60 yarders into the stadium from the beach or something like that

Why do they even bother playing the game? Honestly they should just name a pro-bowl team for ceremonial and contract purposes but not play the game. No one ever really cared about the game to begin with so why even bother playing the game at all if its just going to be ditched by most of the players? If the players stopped caring about the game and the fans have minimal interest in the game why even bother at this point.

Just name a team to honor those guys that had good years and then thats it, is there really a reason to play the game when only about a third of the players that get named as starters end up playing in the game anyway?