Why no outrage for Chilian reflief effort

Everyone was jumping on the Haitian reflief effort, promising money etc... But Chile gets hit by a bigger earthquake and not a peep.

It wouldn't be because the Haitian country is a terrorist supporting wasteland, but Chile is a true democracy.

Everyone was jumping on the Haitian reflief effort, promising money etc... But Chile gets hit by a bigger earthquake and not a peep.

It wouldn't be because the Haitian country is a terrorist supporting wasteland, but Chile is a true democracy.

might have to do with the poverty lever per capita?

Or because the Chilean leader said - loose quote - We don't need any help at the moment?

Also I believe it was stated that America can help if asked.

Personally, I think it's the size of the human disaster, not how hard the sphincter scale got rocked that's the true measure of the situation. Haiti lost nearly a quarter of a million people in a week. Chile less than 1,000 YTD.

However, loss of life on either scale is appalling.

Let your conscience be your guide as to what - if anything - you choose to give to help mitigate the suffering.

Yeah, but ask him why that is the case?

How about Chile is more industrialized than Haiti. Better architecture, infrastructure, etc. Plus, an estimated 725 dead as compared to an estimated 230,000. Both areas need help. No debating that.

Maybe because Chile is better equipped to deal with such an event than Haiti?

Chile was better prepared to deal with it. Better building codes, more finances, better prepared. They still should be given help if needed, though. But I heard on the radio that the Red Cross was still waiting to hear from them.

How about Chile is more industrialized than Haiti. Better architecture, infrastructure, etc. Plus, an estimated 725 dead as compared to an estimated 230,000. Both areas need help. No debating that.

You forgot that Chile has natural resources.

Then there is the bizarre. :thumbsup: Like the heavy, poorly constructed buildings in Haiti... Yes, maybe great for a hurricane compared to lightweight construction... But sucky in an earthquake. I think it was on NPR that I caught an architect talking about how you would think that in a tropical enviro, they would want windows and cross-ventilation in Haiti... No... Supposedly they believe that spirits come in through windows... :thumbsup::bag: