What are your hobbies?

Jim in Anchorage

Anyone here ever fish Lake Nipissing in Ontario?

I did with my dad when I was like 10. Little alum row boat with 6hp motor. Scare the hell out of you when the weather/winds would kick up on Lake N.

Got to fish more this year! Sure a lot of people say it is boring. I always say it's not boring if you know what you are doing. No one teaches you more about fishing than these guys

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did with my dad when I was like 10. Little alum row boat with 6hp motor. Scare the hell out of you when the weather/winds would kick up on Lake N.

Got to fish more this year! Sure a lot of people say it is boring. I always say it's not boring if you know what you are doing. No one teaches you more about fishing than these guys

Great walleye, bass, pike and muskie fishing, but that lake can turn on you in a hurry! I could throw a rock from my yard and just about make it to the lake, and I haven't fished it in years. :rolleyes:

I may be the only person here with this one, but one of my hobbies is beekeeping.

I was just bottling honey last night from my fall crop - terrible year - only got 32 pounds. This year has got to be better!

Isn't there something bad going on with bees? I thought I heard they were dieing off or something.

Golf,playing vid games(TF2, LFD2, assorted fps's, some strat(Empire Total War) Fifa 10. Watching NHL(mostly Sharks) combined with beer/vodka soda lime. Ritual is this on Saturdays. Prep food. Whether it be a pasta sauce or bbq thing. While doing this enjoying a Sapporo. Watch HNIC Leaf game. I have to cause son likes Leafs. WTF? Have a few more Pacificos. Then start cooking/bbq'ing. Watch Shark game. By this time maybe a vodka soda lime. Somewhere in there we eat. Usually have lots of fun along the way.

I'm also perfecting the perfect hamburger. Has been in development for several years and I think I have it down. Instead of grilling it over open flame on the bbq. I use a iron skillet on the bbq. Retains the juices much better and I can control the doneness. Also less is more. Less ingredients in the meat. I also make a great pablano chili sauce to go on top of the burger. Also using nice toasted buns. The culmination of this is a premium burger that I, if I may say, would put up against any other out there.

Isn't there something bad going on with bees? I thought I heard they were dieing off or something.

Colony Collapes Disorder, but it's mainly limited to the big migratory pollenation operations (people who truck a few hunred hives from crop to crop throughout the country).

Problem is, the big commercial guys are few in number and taking HUGE losses - 80%+. These guys (what's left of them, anyway) are entering year 3 of the crisis and are going bankrupt - not many are left. That means producers like the almond growers have to pay more for pollenation services and may not be able to get the bees that they need, leading to lower crop yields. That translates into higher prices for you and me. If they don't get this thing figured out it could spell the end of migratory commercial pollenation and growers would have to keep their own hives year round or go without and have much lower output - it would be a HUGE blow to agriculture and it's impact on food prices would be dramatic.....

Colony Collapes Disorder, but it's mainly limited to the big migratory pollenation operations (people who truck a few hunred hives from crop to crop throughout the country).

Problem is, the big commercial guys are few in number and taking HUGE losses - 80%+. These guys (what's left of them, anyway) are entering year 3 of the crisis and are going bankrupt - not many are left. That means producers like the almond growers have to pay more for pollenation services and may not be able to get the bees that they need, leading to lower crop yields. That translates into higher prices for you and me. If they don't get this thing figured out it could spell the end of migratory commercial pollenation and growers would have to keep their own hives year round or go without and have much lower output - it would be a HUGE blow to agriculture and it's impact on food prices would be dramatic.....

I have some family that works in agriculture,thats where I heard about it. One of them said honeybees might go extinct.Do they know whats causing it? Maybe a disease or parasite?

I would assume that it's some ground beef mixed with wing sauce made into patties and grilled and then topped with blue cheese. Just my guess and how I'd do it but let's see what the Mrs comes up with.

but what if it's a deep fried hamburger tossed with the wing sauce....

Hmm....I'm (very) keen on crops, crop issues and prices, and husbandry (I'm probably the only sap far and wide around, that forks over the six extra bucks per month to TW cable for their RFD channel, so I can get the ag reports). :D

A radio show I listen to every Saturday 6AM morning recently had a noted person saying that the problem is fading, and I've also heard and read that from some other sources.