The Official USA Olympic Hockey Thread

Simon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at Mrs. B when he said that and just cracked up!

Olczyk used to call Pens games a while back and the joke around here was that he was so bad in the booth they made him the coach just so they could fire him.

Personally I thought that was an excellent line to describe what was happening at the time. :unsure:

For sports fans from the Buffalo area, there is a lot to like about this team. On the roster are two of the most hardworking and determined leaders to play for the Sabres in Ryan Miller and Chris Drury. Then there are guys like Patrick Kane, Brooks Orpik, Dustin Brown, and Ryan Callahan - all hailing from modest towns in upstate New York.

A few thoughts:

- I love the EJohnson/Gleason pairing. I think I feel comfortable with them out there against any line in the world right now.

- Throw Orpik and Rafalski in there and the US has a nice corps of very reliable defenseman.

- I know Sid likes to whip it around but that extra pass he threw in a 1 goal game in the 3rd made me wonder if Ryan Miller wasn't in his head a little bit.

- I like this team so much better than what we've had to watch for so long now. When you take Tkachuck, the Hatcher brothers, Hull and Modano off the team they are soooo much easier to really root for. Now if somebody will just get rid if Ron Wilson.

- Just when I was starting to wonder if maybe this stage was a little too big for Patrick Kane yet, he came out and played a fantastic 3rd period. He was really huge when the US took a 4-2 and started to turtle; him and Parise really pulled them out of it.

- If the US was going to keep a vet or two for big moments in these short tournaments they couldn't have made a better choice than Chris Drury.

- Hey Phil Kessel. Quit acting like a Maple Bruin and go to freaking work.

- Props to Dustin Brown who was a rock tonight and especially Langenbrunner who was all over the ice. He sure is a lot less of a bastard when he's on your team.

- I really liked Gary Suter and want to like Ryan Suter. And I really want to like Ryan Callahan cuz he's a Western New Yorker. But they've both been driving me nuts(pirate aarrrrrrggghhh) all week.

- Was anybody else jumping and flopping all over their living room for the last 3 minutes or am I way overgeeked for a "prelim" game? With the Bills and Sabres being irrelevant for so long that was a really enjoyable experience to be that into a game. My wife hadn't seen me like that in years and seemed a bit horrified. :unsure:

- Anybody know who we've got next and when?

- Was anybody else jumping and flopping all over their living room for the last 3 minutes or am I way overgeeked for a "prelim" game? With the Bills and Sabres being irrelevant for so long that was a really enjoyable experience to be that into a game. My wife hadn't seen me like that in years and seemed a bit horrified. :unsure:

Not only did I stand up, but I walked around in front of the coffee table....it was that serious! Fortunately, I didn't wake the baby.

Agree about Kane. I was impressed with his play in the 3d. And nice to see Drury get a typical Drury-like goal.

Also, it was a well officiated game. I thought they got every penalty right but didn't get whistle happy.

- Anybody know who we've got next and when?
It depends on the results of the game being played later tonight.

Seeds 3 and 6-12 have been determined:

3. Russia

6. Canada

7. Slovakia

8. Switzerland

9. Belarus

10. Norway

11. Germany

12. Latvia

Seeds 1-4 get byes, and 5-12 play in the qualifiers with the pairings as you would expect, high to low.

If Finland wins in regulation, they would be #1 and the US #2. The US would probably play Slovakia, assuming there are no upsets in the qualifier round. If Sweden wins, or the Game goes into OT, the US would be the #1 seed and probably play Switzerland.

The qualifiers (which the US gets a bye) are on Tuesday, and the quarterfinals are on Wednesday.

Not only did I stand up, but I walked around in front of the coffee table....it was that serious!

I did the same exact thing :w00t: . Actually with about 3:00 left I jumped over the coffee table yelling "Holy $^&^ #%$# (**&^ &^$%!!!!" and spent the next couple minutes less than 4' from a 56" screen. :unsure:

It depends on the results of the game being played later tonight.

Seeds 3 and 6-12 have been determined:

3. Russia

6. Canada

7. Slovakia

8. Switzerland

9. Belarus

10. Norway

11. Germany

12. Latvia

Seeds 1-4 get byes, and 5-12 play in the qualifiers with the pairings as you would expect, high to low.

If Finland wins in regulation, they would be #1 and the US #2. The US would probably play Slovakia, assuming there are no upsets in the qualifier round. If Sweden wins, or the Game goes into OT, the US would be the #1 seed and probably play Switzerland.

The qualifiers (which the US gets a bye) are on Tuesday, and the quarterfinals are on Wednesday.

An outstanding synopsis deserving to be quoted in full. Thank for the effort mac!

Go Swedes!!!