Any runners on the board?

So I'm trying to lose a few pounds, get in generally better shape and find a new hobby, so I figured I would give running a try. I tend to walk about 3-5 miles everyday outside my regular routine, but I know that running the same distance is a lot more stressful on the body.

I'm just wondering if there's anybody out there who can give some helpful tips for a novice runner. Really, anything helps...shoes, wardrobe, diet, running style, distances, ideal surfaces, anything. I'm hoping to enter a few 5K's by the time summer hits.

Cheers,

Sage

there is a program that i have been 'trying' to use called C25K(Couch to 5K), it is a gradual program that mixes timed walking with timed running, all set to music....you can download the mp3 files for each week from various places, it is good because it teaches you to be patient and not jump into it too fast and get disillusioned.....i found it easy and at times was surprised at how 'easy' the running got to be...and believe me, I am no runner

So I'm trying to lose a few pounds, get in generally better shape and find a new hobby, so I figured I would give running a try. I tend to walk about 3-5 miles everyday outside my regular routine, but I know that running the same distance is a lot more stressful on the body.

I'm just wondering if there's anybody out there who can give some helpful tips for a novice runner. Really, anything helps...shoes, wardrobe, diet, running style, distances, ideal surfaces, anything. I'm hoping to enter a few 5K's by the time summer hits.

Cheers,

Sage

Cheers,

Sage

As Poojer said, ease into it. AND MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH!!! Take the time to stretch before hand and hopefully you won't have to deal with shin splints and other injuries that will slow you down.

Diet: Depends on your goals. For 5k's training, you won't need to do much outside of a normal, HEALTHY diet. Watch your calories and try to balance your protein, carbs and fats. On the day of the 5k (or a longer training run), make sure to get some higher carbs to help keep your energy up through the run. Outside of that, there's nothing really special needed in a diet for running (unless you start training for marathons, in which case there is plenty of info out there on how to train).

Dress: As far as clothes go, whatever is comfortable for you. Don't worry about spending any money on fancy running clothes....if it's comfortable it will work. Shoes on the other hand are a big deal if you plan on doing a lot of running. There are running clinics that can put you through a few quick tests to find out your running style and foot type and then will print out a lists of the best shoes for you. I've known a few people who have done this and they say they can feel a big difference once they were wearing the right shoes.

I also recommend (though it's not necessary) to do some leg workouts in addition to running. Just doing body weight squats and lunges can go a long way. I used to do a couple hundred of each once a week, and it really helped build my leg muscle (helps you run longer and avoid injury, something I wish I had paid more attention to early on).

I don't do long distance running anymore (knees can't hold up to it for more than a few miles), but I still like to do what I can. I started trail running about a year ago and enjoy that. Gives me something to focus on besides just the road in front of me. The hills, climbing, jumping, etc... also really add to the workout.

In the end, I would say the important things are:

Start slow

Stretch A LOT

Do what's comfortable for you (comfortable will mean not hurting....you will of course have to push yourself to see results)

Cheers,

Sage

(I'm no expert, I've only run one 13 mile marathon... with a terrible time)

For me, my diet is one thing I have to be wary of when I'm running. If I'm too full it hurts, and if I'm too hungry I feel week. I try to eat a medium sized meal about 3-4 hours before I run. Of course eat carbs and veggies and the sort of thing.

Also.. shoes are the most important thing. Spare no costs or efforts when picking out your running shoes. You won't regret it.

Why don't you give cycling a try? I used to run,but by the time I was 45 it had taken such a toll on my knees I had to quit. I switched to cycling for my cardio and I love it. You can get the same workout and it's WAY easier on the joints. I also like that since you travel at a much faster pace you get to see more of the landscape and can set more interesting destination points.

I definitely recommend the couch to 5k program.

It'll get you started off slowly, and running a 5k by late spring/summer if you start now.

I tried to get started running many different times, and finally succeeded with that program. Sometimes it will seem too easy, and sometimes too hard, but the program works if you stick to it. I'd also recommend getting a podcast that keeps track of the timing for you-it made the time go by much easier than constantly looking at a watch. Robert Ullrey has the most popular one, I guess, but there are others, and there are programs to set your own up using your own music too.

KD is also right about the importance of properly fitting shoes. It's a little extra money, but they'll get you fitted with the right shoes for your feet and running style and dramatically decrease the likelihood of injury/pain.

Good luck!

there is a program that i have been 'trying' to use called C25K(Couch to 5K), it is a gradual program that mixes timed walking with timed running, all set to music....you can download the mp3 files for each week from various places, it is good because it teaches you to be patient and not jump into it too fast and get disillusioned.....i found it easy and at times was surprised at how 'easy' the running got to be...and believe me, I am no runner

I definitely recommend the couch to 5k program.

It'll get you started off slowly, and running a 5k by late spring/summer if you start now.

I tried to get started running many different times, and finally succeeded with that program. Sometimes it will seem too easy, and sometimes too hard, but the program works if you stick to it. I'd also recommend getting a podcast that keeps track of the timing for you-it made the time go by much easier than constantly looking at a watch. Robert Ullrey has the most popular one, I guess, but there are others, and there are programs to set your own up using your own music too.

KD is also right about the importance of properly fitting shoes. It's a little extra money, but they'll get you fitted with the right shoes for your feet and running style and dramatically decrease the likelihood of injury/pain.

Good luck!

This C25K program seems interesting, I'll have to give it a look-see. As far as downloading the mp3 stuff goes, I'm one of those people who never leaves home without my ipod, so I have a few exercise playlists that work pretty well for me.

And yea, shoes must be important. There's a GREAT store called the Ithaca Running Company that's just a stone's throw away from my apartment. I'm sure I could get a good fitting there.

As Poojer said, ease into it. AND MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH!!! Take the time to stretch before hand and hopefully you won't have to deal with shin splints and other injuries that will slow you down.

Diet: Depends on your goals. For 5k's training, you won't need to do much outside of a normal, HEALTHY diet. Watch your calories and try to balance your protein, carbs and fats. On the day of the 5k (or a longer training run), make sure to get some higher carbs to help keep your energy up through the run. Outside of that, there's nothing really special needed in a diet for running (unless you start training for marathons, in which case there is plenty of info out there on how to train).

Dress: As far as clothes go, whatever is comfortable for you. Don't worry about spending any money on fancy running clothes....if it's comfortable it will work. Shoes on the other hand are a big deal if you plan on doing a lot of running. There are running clinics that can put you through a few quick tests to find out your running style and foot type and then will print out a lists of the best shoes for you. I've known a few people who have done this and they say they can feel a big difference once they were wearing the right shoes.

I also recommend (though it's not necessary) to do some leg workouts in addition to running. Just doing body weight squats and lunges can go a long way. I used to do a couple hundred of each once a week, and it really helped build my leg muscle (helps you run longer and avoid injury, something I wish I had paid more attention to early on).

I don't do long distance running anymore (knees can't hold up to it for more than a few miles), but I still like to do what I can. I started trail running about a year ago and enjoy that. Gives me something to focus on besides just the road in front of me. The hills, climbing, jumping, etc... also really add to the workout.

In the end, I would say the important things are:

Start slow

Stretch A LOT

Do what's comfortable for you (comfortable will mean not hurting....you will of course have to push yourself to see results)

Thanks, Faustus...very informative stuff. Most of the others have been echoing your sentiment on the shoes.

As for stretching, I actually learned my lesson in the past. My senior year of high school (3 years ago) I tried my hand at running. Unfortunately, the combination of running on sidewalks (concrete SUCKS) and a lack of stretching led to severe pain in my shins. These shin splints sidelined me for a few weeks and by the time I was better, the pain had spoiled my mind to the idea of running and I stopped. So I'm going to take stretching very seriously this time around.

Cheers,

Sage

Here's some advice from a guy who couldn't run a mile 6 years ago (ask EndZoneCrew or taterhill) and has run 4 marathons since then. I was pretty much in the same boat as you, didn't enjoy going to the gym and was looking for something to keep busy.

First thing be careful about how much you increase your mileage. The biggest thing concern you'll have at the beginning is staying healthy. If you add a lot of mileage too fast you'll increase your risk injury.

Now on to your questions:

Shoes: Go to a running store and ask them to fit you. Buy a pair of shoes there the first time, then once you know what you like you can buy them online and get the best deal. I only run in Nike Air Zoom Vomeros, I think I've probably gone through 7 or 8 pairs of them.

Wardrobe: Don't go too crazy on anything to expensive but I'd suggest getting some dry fit shirts. Cotton T shirts are horrible and hold water. Makes them really heavy and leads to chafing (ouch). One thing that I found really important and if you don't listen to anything else I say, is BUY GOOD SOCKS. Normal "athletic" socks hold water and in my experience cause a lot of blistering. I love Balega Hidden Comfort socks but they are pricey so I also have Power Sox which are cheaper and still pretty good.

Diet: Totally up to you but I think you'll feel better, the better you eat the better the better you'll feel while you're running. I only "carb load" before really long runs. Other than that I avoid greasy foods and don't drink too much the night before a run.

Running Style: This was my biggest concern when I started running and I've never really found anything good. Basically everything I can find says as long as your comfortable, you're fine.

Distances: Totally up to you depending on your goals. This site: Hal Higdon.com

has some great training programs and advice and forums for discussion that are well visited. It may not be flashy but it's pretty good. I've used their programs for all of my races.

Ideal Surfaces: This is debatable. Pavement/Blacktop isn't great because it is so hard but any race you run is going to be on blacktop so if you only run on grass or trails, you won't be used to it and may find yourself sore after the race (or even worse getting hurt during the race) so I find it best to mix it up. I'd say I do like 80% on hard surfaces and 20% on trails or grass.

Other: My big piece of advice would log every mile you run. It will give you a sense of accomplishment/satisfaction when you look back at what you've done and how you improve. You can log time/mileage or both. I've logged every mile I've run since 2005 and like to look back and see how much running I've done. Only recently did I start logging my time because I have a goal for this years Buffalo Marathon. I actually like it, I think it pushes me to go faster.

PM me if you have any other questions or want any other help.

the C25K podcasts are set up so that they control the time for you...for instance, Week 1 plays 5 minutes of music that is warm up/walk music, they give you a backwards 5 count at which time they play 60 or 90 seconds of music to run to, again they give you a backwards 5 count for the 60-90 second walking segment and so on...the time of running increases as you move along the weeks....its nice to have that routine already in place for you....eventually you are running the entire 25 minutes at which time you can work on picking up the pace of jogging to get the distance to where you want to be.....

This C25K program seems interesting, I'll have to give it a look-see. As far as downloading the mp3 stuff goes, I'm one of those people who never leaves home without my ipod, so I have a few exercise playlists that work pretty well for me.

And yea, shoes must be important. There's a GREAT store called the Ithaca Running Company that's just a stone's throw away from my apartment. I'm sure I could get a good fitting there.

Why don't you give cycling a try? I used to run,but by the time I was 45 it had taken such a toll on my knees I had to quit. I switched to cycling for my cardio and I love it. You can get the same workout and it's WAY easier on the joints. I also like that since you travel at a much faster pace you get to see more of the landscape and can set more interesting destination points.

Agree with the bike riding. Hadn't been on a bike for over 10 yrs then picked it back up last year. Love it. Been on the trainer 3X a week this winter.

My two cents, and they are prolly much differant than most.

1)First on the stretching..never stretch before a run, one can only hurt cold muscles by stretching them..if you insist on streching make sure you you do at least a 1/2 mile warmup. I am of the belief, as many others are coming around to, is that most people stretch way to far and do more harm than good. I quit strecthing afetr my first marathon, and I feel much better by just making my first mile a nice easy warmup.

2) Diet..don't get me started on the carab loading stuff. Even before a race.Yes, you absolutely need carbs, but please remember that most veggies and fruits are packed with carbs as well. You do not need to load up on pasta and breads, especially non whole grain products. Your body can only store so much glucose (about 1500 calories worth), and when it hits that max your body will take those carbs and store them somewhere in the form of FAT. As suggested, eat a balanced diet.

3) If your goal is to burn fat and lose weight, try the slow approach. This guy holds the world recoed by running 571 miles in 6 days. Now you will have to go out and buy a heart rate monitor, but well worth it based on your previous experience with running.

This book is great, helped me lose 35 lbs in about 4 months, pain free and still getting my running time faster.

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Faster-Exe...6111&sr=1-3

4) The wieghts suggestion I think is spot on, as well as incorporating some other cardio like cycling or swimming.

My two cents, and they are prolly much differant than most.

1)First on the stretching..never stretch before a run, one can only hurt cold muscles by stretching them..if you insist on streching make sure you you do at least a 1/2 mile warmup. I am of the belief, as many others are coming around to, is that most people stretch way to far and do more harm than good. I quit strecthing afetr my first marathon, and I feel much better by just making my first mile a nice easy warmup.

2) Diet..don't get me started on the carab loading stuff. Even before a race.Yes, you absolutely need carbs, but please remember that most veggies and fruits are packed with carbs as well. You do not need to load up on pasta and breads, especially non whole grain products. Your body can only store so much glucose (about 1500 calories worth), and when it hits that max your body will take those carbs and store them somewhere in the form of FAT. As suggested, eat a balanced diet.

3) If your goal is to burn fat and lose weight, try the slow approach. This guy holds the world recoed by running 571 miles in 6 days. Now you will have to go out and buy a heart rate monitor, but well worth it based on your previous experience with running.

This book is great, helped me lose 35 lbs in about 4 months, pain free and still getting my running time faster.

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Faster-Exe...6111&sr=1-3

4) The wieghts suggestion I think is spot on, as well as incorporating some other cardio like cycling or swimming.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link to the book.

You're the first person that I've ever heard recommend not stretching before an athletic event.

The only rumors I'm aware of on the board are that there is an inner circle, almost a cabal if you will, calling all of the behind the scenes shots. This is pure bunk.

Then there's the rumor about Bullpen and his off hours activities. This rumor is true, or so I've been led to believe.

The only rumors I'm aware of on the board are that there is an inner circle, almost a cabal if you will, calling all of the behind the shots. This is pure bunk.

Then there's the rumor about Bullpen and his off hours activities. This rumor is true, or so I've been led to believe.

:P

What is this you speak of? The Gnomes of Zurich (and MLB hall of famer Steve Carlton) prohibit me from speaking of any off-hours activities, meetings or organized gatherings.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link to the book.

You're the first person that I've ever heard recommend not stretching before an athletic event.

It is actually becoming more and more accepted in sports such as running and swimming etc. Remember, not so long ago accepted wisdom was water was bad for you during a workout :P

Here are some articles as well

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/p.../112pewarm.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/3374401/S...ad-for-you.html

Again, it is is not so much the stretching thats bad, but people do it before their muscles are warm, which can only do bad things to the muscles.

If you must stretch, do it after your workout and not before. Even then, people tend to go to far, so take it easy. I do some very light stretching after my runs now, but very light and very easy..no pain etc.

Here's some advice from a guy who couldn't run a mile 6 years ago (ask EndZoneCrew or taterhill) and has run 4 marathons since then. I was pretty much in the same boat as you, didn't enjoy going to the gym and was looking for something to keep busy.

First thing be careful about how much you increase your mileage. The biggest thing concern you'll have at the beginning is staying healthy. If you add a lot of mileage too fast you'll increase your risk injury.

Now on to your questions:

Shoes: Go to a running store and ask them to fit you. Buy a pair of shoes there the first time, then once you know what you like you can buy them online and get the best deal. I only run in Nike Air Zoom Vomeros, I think I've probably gone through 7 or 8 pairs of them.

Wardrobe: Don't go too crazy on anything to expensive but I'd suggest getting some dry fit shirts. Cotton T shirts are horrible and hold water. Makes them really heavy and leads to chafing (ouch). One thing that I found really important and if you don't listen to anything else I say, is BUY GOOD SOCKS. Normal "athletic" socks hold water and in my experience cause a lot of blistering. I love Balega Hidden Comfort socks but they are pricey so I also have Power Sox which are cheaper and still pretty good.

Diet: Totally up to you but I think you'll feel better, the better you eat the better the better you'll feel while you're running. I only "carb load" before really long runs. Other than that I avoid greasy foods and don't drink too much the night before a run.

Running Style: This was my biggest concern when I started running and I've never really found anything good. Basically everything I can find says as long as your comfortable, you're fine.

Distances: Totally up to you depending on your goals. This site: Hal Higdon.com

has some great training programs and advice and forums for discussion that are well visited. It may not be flashy but it's pretty good. I've used their programs for all of my races.

Ideal Surfaces: This is debatable. Pavement/Blacktop isn't great because it is so hard but any race you run is going to be on blacktop so if you only run on grass or trails, you won't be used to it and may find yourself sore after the race (or even worse getting hurt during the race) so I find it best to mix it up. I'd say I do like 80% on hard surfaces and 20% on trails or grass.

Other: My big piece of advice would log every mile you run. It will give you a sense of accomplishment/satisfaction when you look back at what you've done and how you improve. You can log time/mileage or both. I've logged every mile I've run since 2005 and like to look back and see how much running I've done. Only recently did I start logging my time because I have a goal for this years Buffalo Marathon. I actually like it, I think it pushes me to go faster.

PM me if you have any other questions or want any other help.

Thanks a lot, EZC, very helpful stuff.

I do have one question, and it might be a dumb one but I'll ask anyway...You mention logging distances, but what's the best way to tell exactly how far you've run? Will a simple pedometer do the trick, or is there a better piece of technology? Or do you usually estimate it? I'm one of those numbers guys, and one reason I like treadmills is because I can tell the difference between running 3.00 miles and 3.20 miles...but I'd like to be able to do the same thing in the outdoors.

By the way, it seems from your handle that you live in Boston. Have you qualified for the Boston Marathon there yet?

Thanks a lot, EZC, very helpful stuff.

I do have one question, and it might be a dumb one but I'll ask anyway...You mention logging distances, but what's the best way to tell exactly how far you've run? Will a simple pedometer do the trick, or is there a better piece of technology? Or do you usually estimate it? I'm one of those numbers guys, and one reason I like treadmills is because I can tell the difference between running 3.00 miles and 3.20 miles...but I'd like to be able to do the same thing in the outdoors.

By the way, it seems from your handle that you live in Boston. Have you qualified for the Boston Marathon there yet?

I bought a Garmin GPS watch. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142 If you're a numbers guy you will love it because you can load everything on to your computer. It's a big investment and I didn't go for it right away. At first I would drive around and map out routes but then I started using this site: Favorite Run again, not flashy but it does the trick. You can map your route out ahead of time or when you get home track where you went and it will let you know how far you've gone.

I haven't qualified for Boston yet and not sure I ever will. I would have to run a 3 hour 10 minute marathon to qualify and right now, my PR is 3:56. 46 minutes is a lot to shave off (almost 2 minutes a mile) but I've improved in Buffalo 3 years in a row, so maybe one day.