Mattress style advice/information/recommendations...

The Poojer

looking for a new bed, probably need something in the 'firm' range....anyone have experience with memory foam or 'sleep number' mattresses? would like feedback on what people think of these 2 types....thanks in advance....feel free to move this to consumer digest if you deem it should be there.

looking for a new bed, probably need something in the 'firm' range....anyone have experience with memory foam or 'sleep number' mattresses? would like feedback on what people think of these 2 types....thanks in advance....feel free to move this to consumer digest if you deem it should be there.

I have a memory foam mattress and I LOVE it. It took a few nights to get used to it - there is no immediate "give" to it - you gently sink into it a bit so initially your perception is that it's really a hard mattress - it's not.

While neither my wife nor I toss and turn much, a great plus to the mattress is that when one person moves the other person doesn't feel it at all - great because my wife works late once a week and comes home after I'm asleep.

I was really worried that by kind of sinking into the mattress I'd be too hot in the summer - not a problem. In the winter it does help keep you wam, though, so it's perfect.

I bought a store-brand mattress for half the cost of Temperpedic and couldn't be happier I did - no need to pay rediculous prices for the brand.

I'm never switching from memory foam!

Memory foam is very comfortable. I would recommend it.

I have a memory foam mattress and I LOVE it. It took a few nights to get used to it - there is no immediate "give" to it - you gently sink into it a bit so initially your perception is that it's really a hard mattress - it's not.

While neither my wife nor I toss and turn much, a great plus to the mattress is that when one person moves the other person doesn't feel it at all - great because my wife works late once a week and comes home after I'm asleep.

I was really worried that by kind of sinking into the mattress I'd be too hot in the summer - not a problem. In the winter it does help keep you wam, though, so it's perfect.

I bought a store-brand mattress for half the cost of Temperpedic and couldn't be happier I did - no need to pay rediculous prices for the brand.

I'm never switching from memory foam!

What store was that? How much was your cost and the bed size? Thank you in advance for sharing the info.

We bought a new bed when we moved last year. I don't remember what make it is but I'm telling you I have not had back problems since. I pop right out of bed in the morning. It's great. If you want I can look to see what it is but the bottom line is you really need to get a new bed every 10 years or so and it's worth spending the money.

Pooj, if you go the traditional mattress route, do not fall for the new pitch of not needing to turn the mattress. Several manufacturers claim this now, and all it is is a way for them to save money and put padding on one side. You will not be able to flip your mattress, and therefore it will not last near as long.

Sleep Number here. Great bed. Has a memory foam pillow top. We were skeptical at first, but now we're believers. Got it about three years ago. Wish we had a lot sooner.

We have a Sleep Number bed too - it's pretty good. The one downside is that there's a small crevice in the middle since the mattress consists of two air bladders -- so if one person has the mattress really soft and the other person has it really firm, there's a crevice in the middle.

Not a major complaint, but can be slightly annoying.

Also, if you do buy one, make sure you get a metal frame to put it on -- the plastic legs they give you are crap, and it doesn't support the crossbeams under the bed at all.

What store was that? How much was your cost and the bed size? Thank you in advance for sharing the info.

I live outside of Boston and the big discouunt chain here (although rapidly expanding) is Bob's Dicount Furniture. It was a few years back, but I remember it was about half of what the similar queen size Temperpedic was. We were also able to get it so my wife's side is a bit more plush and mine is considered firm - she likes a soft mattress.

Now there are 3 models of the "Bob o Pedic" - the lite version is $599 queen, the normal one is $999 queen and the high end pillow top is $1299 queen.

Like I said, I LOVE the memory foam - I'm not going back!

how were you able to get varying firmness in the same mattress....not that i am looking for that, but i thought foam mattresses were a solid body......

I live outside of Boston and the big discouunt chain here (although rapidly expanding) is Bob's Dicount Furniture. It was a few years back, but I remember it was about half of what the similar queen size Temperpedic was. We were also able to get it so my wife's side is a bit more plush and mine is considered firm - she likes a soft mattress.

Now there are 3 models of the "Bob o Pedic" - the lite version is $599 queen, the normal one is $999 queen and the high end pillow top is $1299 queen.

Like I said, I LOVE the memory foam - I'm not going back!

how were you able to get varying firmness in the same mattress....not that i am looking for that, but i thought foam mattresses were a solid body......

I'm not sure how they do it - the mattress certainly looks to be a single piece, but my wife's side does have you sink in a bit more than my side - not a huge difference, but her side is definitely a bit softer.

thanks...i think i may lean towards the memory foam...it seems to be more reasonably priced than the sleep number beds and less 'mechanical' parts to break down.....

I'm not sure how they do it - the mattress certainly looks to be a single piece, but my wife's side does have you sink in a bit more than my side - not a huge difference, but her side is definitely a bit softer.

I may be the lone man out here, but i bought the best tempur-pedic you can buy and it made my back problems worse than they were before. My wife who never had back problems, started having them after purchasing the bed. After 4 weeks, ended up returning it to raymour and flanagan and went with the firmest stearns and foster you can buy, no back problems since. general rule of thumb is, you need back support, and while the tempur pedic are firm at first touch, the end result is u end up sinking and your back is in a sag position the whole night vs being nice and straight.

In addition the foam mattresses make you sweat more than usual.

I may be the lone man out here, but i bought the best tempur-pedic you can buy and it made my back problems worse than they were before. My wife who never had back problems, started having them after purchasing the bed. After 4 weeks, ended up returning it to raymour and flanagan and went with the firmest stearns and foster you can buy, no back problems since. general rule of thumb is, you need back support, and while the tempur pedic are firm at first touch, the end result is u end up sinking and your back is in a sag position the whole night vs being nice and straight.

In addition the foam mattresses12 OF LABATT'S YOU DRANK make you sweat more than usual.

Fixed for me.

thanks...i think i may lean towards the memory foam...it seems to be more reasonably priced than the sleep number beds and less 'mechanical' parts to break down.....

The only mechanical thing you have to worry about is the air pump. And if that breaks, you only lose the ability to change the mattress firmness until you get another one.

Can't speak to price - I don't remember how much it was and I have no idea how much they are now.