Buffalo comes in at #8 of Americas 20 most miserable cities

Rayzer32

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man I'm right here in Rochester which isn't any better and I'm not going anywhere. WNY may be a crappy place on the map, but it's not a bad place to raise a family.

I lived in WNY before heading south for grad school. Once we married we lived in Rochester NY, Santa Clara CA and Raleigh NC. Of all the places we lived the best was Rochester from an overall quality of life. We always had something to do in Rochester no matter what time of the year, sure CA had better weather however anytime ya went anywhere traffic was terrible and event was crowded. In Rochester we enjoyed eating out on Park Ave, walking the neighborhood, cross country skiing, golf etc. Weather never impacted any plans. Raleigh is nice however a relatively boring nightlife when we first got here. Also in Rochester we always knew what was going on here we have to find it by looking at many different places and usually here about it the day after. If the job market in mid 80s had not been so bleak in Rochester I would still be there today since housing was so affordable compared to NC and CA was ridiculous.

NYC, Chicago, Miami, etc are all on this list also. This list is a waste, the choices are based on things like unemployment, pollution in the air, crime, and sports teams. Sure those things are important, but these things largely have little to do with what it is like to live in buffalo on a day to day basis.

These lists piss me off to no end. What the hell is the point of them? How does this help a city like Cleveland or Detroit or Buffalo? How about a kid from Buffalo who just graduated from UB who's deciding whether to stay in Buffalo or not and then he sees something like this? Great. Move to Charlotte like everybody else. Ya know, one day places that are "desirable to live" are going to become overpopulated, too expensive, etc. and people will move back to places like Buffalo. Just wait. What kind of American would compile a list like this? Aren't we all on the same team? Does anyone not know that Flint, Michigan sucks? Hasn't everybody seen Roger & Me?!?

Wherever you are there you are. Buffalo is cool. Its not Laguna beach. NEWS FLASH FOLKS!! Who cares? Wisconsin is like Western NY and they all could give a sh*t about what people think. I love my relatives who come here from Wisconsin. They are chill and happy to be alive. Just because NY used to be the "EMPIRE STATE" people get busy beating us up and we feel sorry for ourselves. I'm not buying it. Time to embrace the 21st century and crack open a Pabst like my Wisconsinites. :oops:

PBR!!! Holy S :wallbash: T stain in your pants the next day!!!!

What's up with Stockton, California? It seems out of place on this list....anyone?

I can speak for Central California, cities like Fresno and Stockton are in the San Joaquin Valley. Most of the cities in this region are based on the agriculture and have grown way too fast. There is a lack things that big cities should have such as: history, culture, a downtown area, sports, art, symphonies, concerts, good schools, restaurants, etc.

Most of the middle California desert was converted to fertile farmland by irrigation. Lots ands lots of flat, irrigated farmland. The area is filled with bad air from pesticides, dust and fertilizers. Most of the year is very hot. Dry climates are now turning humid due to irrigation. There are many migrant workers in these cities. Lots of crime. The "haves" are associated with agriculture and live like kings ... the "have nots" do all the dirty work and are hurting. It is hard to get to the middle.

Stockton, Fresno and others in this valley have good points but they are not the kind of cities that resonate the California style.

St. Louis is a bad town because the Rams suck? What the hell kind of logic is that? Don't get me wrong, I live and die with the Bills and Sabres. But that hardly seems like a legitimate yardstick.

Then again, if I had to watch the Rams ...

And crappy sports franchises is one of the factors. You stay classy Buffalo!

Miserableness

Having been raised in Buffalo, I now make my living elsewhere. I am still a raging Bills fan and am proud to still call Buffalo home. My family came from the south of Buffalo. I enjoy it when I get a chance to visit friends and relatives still living in the area. Its a remarkable area with some remarkable history and culture. The city and area have fallen on some hard times but I believe its best days are still in front of it.

I'd think some of the Deliverance country in the US....where running water, consistent electricity, higher education, and stable employment are all fantasies, are worse off than the "bad" cities on the list.

I'm sure hellholes like New Orleans, East St. Louis and Camden or Newark, NJ are very warm and inviting.

I moved away in 2003. Lived in various locations in Connecticut for 3+ years. Talk about misery!

Dying to move back home I landed a great job in the area. However I am required to be out of WNY 94% of the time. Im in South Jersey/Philly area. Its not too bad... but I would love to stay in WNY full time.

Connecticut is the worst place in our civilization.

these Forbes rankings always piss me off and in my mind they have severely cheapened Forbes' credibility. These ratings are unfair to places like Buffalo and Cleveland. It doesnt take into account architecture, arts, community, foods, activities, schools, state colleges, etc. It takes a select group of criteria almost devised for pulling shots on certain cities.

These ratings always take a dump Buffalo as well because they dont take into account the immediate surrounding areas. They also assume that everyone prefers 90 degree weather 365 days a year as opposed to a change in seasons.