Kevin Smith (aka Silent Bob) is too fat says Southwest Air

Just Jack

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20344142,00.html

Kevin Smith's most famous role is a guy who rarely speaks. But he's got a lot to say – much of it profane – after being kicked off a Southwest Air flight because he didn't fit comfortably into the seat. "You [messed] with the wrong sedentary processed-foods eater!" Smith, whose next film, Cop Out, comes out Feb. 26, posted on Twitter.

I understand both points a view. Without being there, who knows if this could have been addressed in a less humiliating fashion. The airline could have been a little more understanding of the situation or pehaps Smith forced their hand by not cooperating. Eitherway, they have a business to run and extremely obese passengers who literally pour into someone else's seat, is bad for business.

Huge fan of Kevin Smith but I think that this is just a little sad for him. I am a skinny guy so I can't get the embarrassment he is going through. I think being called a flight hazard is really embarrassing.

Wouldn't want to be behind him in an Emergency. The over-wing exits on a 737 would definately not work for him.

Wouldn't want to be behind him in an Emergency. The over-wing exits on a 737 would definately not work for him.

This is a practical reality that I never thought about. These exits are typically pretty small. You would have to wonder if a person can't fit into a seat if they also would not fit out the exit.

This is a practical reality that I never thought about. These exits are typically pretty small. You would have to wonder if a person can't fit into a seat if they also would not fit out the exit.

Not sure about that but the whole plane could use them as a floatation device.

Isn't the real issue that the seats are only 17" wide? Seriously, 17"???

In addition, their policy states that the definitive measure is whether you can lower the armrests down... And Kevin Smith says he did... So what's the problem?

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

"What is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size?

The armrest is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size. It serves as the boundary between seats and measures 17 inches in width. Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel."

And the reason this is completely BS is this section of the FAQ:

"If a Customer has broad shoulders, will he/she have to buy a second seat?

Again, if a Customer cannot lower the armrests, the additional purchase is necessary. Simply having broad shoulders would not necessarily prevent another Customer from occupying adjoining seat. The upper body can be adjusted, but the portion of the body in the actual seating and armrest area doesn't have this flexibility."

So basically they're saying, "Your hips better not intrude into another seat, but if you're a football linebacker, go ahead and shove your shoulders into someone else's space." How does that make any sense if they're saying they're doing it for the comfort of other passengers? Shouldn't it be ANY part of your body moving into an adjacent seat? :bag:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20344142,00.html

Kevin Smith's most famous role is a guy who rarely speaks. But he's got a lot to say – much of it profane – after being kicked off a Southwest Air flight because he didn't fit comfortably into the seat. "You [messed] with the wrong sedentary processed-foods eater!" Smith, whose next film, Cop Out, comes out Feb. 26, posted on Twitter.

Best ad for Southwest ever. Makes me want to fly them even more.

Recently flew on USAirways with a woman's side gut on my thigh. Thanks but no thanks.

God Bless you Southwest! Give those fatties the boot! :bag:

Given that such a high percentage is obese, I think it would be logical to adjust from a business point of view.

http://www.professorshouse.com/family/heal...-americans.aspx

According to the National Institutes of Health, 17% of children and adolescents aged 2 to 19 years were overweight in 2004. And what’s more alarming is 32.2% of adults suffer from obesity (that’s almost 90 million) – which is a dangerous step up from just being plain overweight. Another 30% of Americans are simply overweight.

Given that such a high percentage is obese, I think it would be logical to adjust from a business point of view.

Or is it? Cater to the 40% of the population that's not overweight and you still have a big market.

And Continental can become the airline for bigger folk. Fine by me.

Isn't the real issue that the seats are only 17" wide? Seriously, 17"???

In addition, their policy states that the definitive measure is whether you can lower the armrests down... And Kevin Smith says he did... So what's the problem?

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

"What is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size?

The armrest is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size. It serves as the boundary between seats and measures 17 inches in width. Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel."

And the reason this is completely BS is this section of the FAQ:

"If a Customer has broad shoulders, will he/she have to buy a second seat?

Again, if a Customer cannot lower the armrests, the additional purchase is necessary. Simply having broad shoulders would not necessarily prevent another Customer from occupying adjoining seat. The upper body can be adjusted, but the portion of the body in the actual seating and armrest area doesn't have this flexibility."

So basically they're saying, "Your hips better not intrude into another seat, but if you're a football linebacker, go ahead and shove your shoulders into someone else's space." How does that make any sense if they're saying they're doing it for the comfort of other passengers? Shouldn't it be ANY part of your body moving into an adjacent seat? :censored:

:rolleyes:

Sorry, you missed the entire point there. What part about "The upper body can be adjusted" was not understandable? :beer:

If someone's lower body spills over to the next seat, there is NOTHING that can be done. If someone has big shoulders, they can take a window/aisle seat and adjust themselves.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, you missed the entire point there. What part about "The upper body can be adjusted" was not understandable? :censored:

If someone's lower body spills over to the next seat, there is NOTHING that can be done. If someone has big shoulders, they can take a window/aisle seat and adjust themselves.

You have an aisle seat, and your elbow/shoulders get in the way of the drink cart. And you could easily shove your lower half towards the window or into the aisle if you want as well. I'm not seeing the difference.