Bob Sanders OLB, Giff Smith DL, DeMontie Cross ILB

bills_red

http://twitter.com/buffalobillscom/statuses/8968032316

Bob Sanders will coach the outside linebackers and Giff Smith will coach the team’s defensive line.

the ILB coach will be.....

http://twitter.com/buffalobillscom/statuses/8968015882

The Buffalo Bills today announced that DeMontie Cross has been retained and will serve as the inside linebackers coach.

Also of note: In the buffalobills.com article on the hirings, they mention that Bob Sanders will likely coach Aaron Maybin and Chris Ellis, who will likely transition to OLB in the new defensive scheme.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...5d-4238dbf8222f

My god. If we could anything close to some production from those 2, it could be huge.

My god. If we could anything close to some production from those 2, it could be huge.

Absolutely. I forgot about Ellis in all of this. No idea if he'll be able to transition, but if he can it would be a big for him and the team.

Can you imagine if Ellis turns into a stud pass-rusher at OLB? We'll be dancing in the streets...

Both he and Maybin were drafted early specifically for their 1st step, speed end rush. Where it appears after 2 years he's just another blown draft pick, he's stayed around -meaning some people still have faith in his abilities.

I'm hoping for the best!

I, too, forgot about Ellis. I have much more faith in him as an OLB than as a DE.

It is absolutely crazy to me that the Bills drafted players for a scheme that they didn't plan on running (ie, Ellis and Maybin...who were always thought to be 3-4 linebackers).

I can't speak for Ellis because I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but when it comes to Maybin I don't like his chances as an OLB in the NFL. During the combine drills last year, Maybin looked lost when he was asked to drop in coverage and move in space. Add to that the fact that he looks to be about 230 lbs. and gets swalloed up by NFL offensive lineman, and it doesn't look promising. I'd like to be wrong, and hopefully with some quality coaching he can make some contributions on the field this next season, but if you just look at Maybin there's no way he looks like an OLB in a 3-4.

Unless that was a potential plan all along (to possibly switch to a 3-4). Who knows....

don't be ridiculous. i don't get how ppl actually believe that the bills drafted last year knowing that they were going to fire jauron and retool the front office. it's ridiculous to think that they (even if they wanted to) would have had the foresight to draft for the 3-4 if they didn't even have the foresight to fire jauron before week whatever.

I can't speak for Ellis because I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but when it comes to Maybin I don't like his chances as an OLB in the NFL. During the combine drills last year, Maybin looked lost when he was asked to drop in coverage and move in space. Add to that the fact that he looks to be about 230 lbs. and gets swalloed up by NFL offensive lineman, and it doesn't look promising. I'd like to be wrong, and hopefully with some quality coaching he can make some contributions on the field this next season, but if you just look at Maybin there's no way he looks like an OLB in a 3-4.

I didn't see Maybin in his drills, but I imagine that there is a learning curve when you ask someone who has never dropped back in coverage, to drop back in coverage. By all accounts, Maybin is extremely athletic. Sure, he might be undersized as a DE, I would agree with that. But the guy is what, 21? He was one of the youngest guys drafted last year I'm pretty sure. Lets see what he can do after the proper tutelage.

don't be ridiculous. i don't get how ppl actually believe that the bills drafted last year knowing that they were going to fire jauron and retool the front office. it's ridiculous to think that they (even if they wanted to) would have had the foresight to draft for the 3-4 if they didn't even have the foresight to fire jauron before week whatever.

Or DJ was taking the D to the 3/4 when he had the personnel to do it :worthy: