Doug Whaley

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mental toughness of the FO increased by an order of magnitude.

Nix is tough, Gailey's tough. Whaley's tough. (George) Edwards is tough. Gamble is tough.

All no-nonsense kind of guys that know what a pro football player looks like, how to pick them and groom them for success.

There won't be anymore DWIs ("Doesn't Want It") in the locker room. They won't be tolerated.

Big changes already at OBD. The FO turnover is tremendously positive.

Even Chuck Lester got the boot. To do that -they must have confiscated his nekkid pictures of Ralph and the horse when he was out of the office over the holidays.

For the people who were clamoring that change had to start at the top of the organization (and now choose to B word about the past problems instead of looking to the future)......IT HAPPENED

I agree with those people.....Everyone in the NFL needed to know that the Bills were serious about change. Now that the mental aspect and philosphy has started at the top....it will trickle down into the players.

I think we will see a young but extremely scrappy team next year that will fight till the bitter end in games......I saw this bills team give up in some games last year......I dont think that will be tolerated......

Another thing I expect to see.....there will be no question that players will be 100 percent committed to this team.....players who dont show it on and off the field I think we slowly be weened out......while I thought TO was on the best behavior he could have last year.....I dont think there is a chance he is a Bill next year.......neither will Trent Edwards

For the people who were clamoring that change had to start at the top of the organization (and now choose to B word about the past problems instead of looking to the future)......IT HAPPENED

I agree with those people.....Everyone in the NFL needed to know that the Bills were serious about change. Now that the mental aspect and philosphy has started at the top....it will trickle down into the players.

I think we will see a young but extremely scrappy team next year that will fight till the bitter end in games......I saw this bills team give up in some games last year......I dont think that will be tolerated......

Another thing I expect to see.....there will be no question that players will be 100 percent committed to this team.....players who dont show it on and off the field I think we slowly be weened out......while I thought TO was on the best behavior he could have last year.....I dont think there is a chance he is a Bill next year.......neither will Trent Edwards

Agreed.. If our team fights like hell and shows great discipline and passion i'll be very happy. I just really hope these rumors about Chan giving Trent another shot are bogus.

Actually I feel this team has been scrappy but the let down comes in the 4th quarter because of no O and the D on the field to long. Look at TOP game after game. For the lack of all around talent on this team they have been competetive.

Nix made his first Great move signing Doug Whaley away from the Steelers.

He going to make Buddy look very smart and may be the diamond in the ruff that has been missing since Bill Polian

was promoted to GM in the mid 80's.

Thoughts?

My thought is that BOTH Nix and Whaley are diamonds. The future looks bright. But, of course, it's got to actually happen -- gotta get to the playoffs or it just doesn't matter.

It's not change if 2 in-house candidates were interviewed for the most critical front office job. It doesn't matter to far too many fans that Nix has not handled day to day ops for a NFL team, nor that the other guy interviewed was ultimately fired. This was the big house-cleaning?

And don't forget, RW's chief adviser is a non-football guy with authority over all team operations. He couldn't get it done as quasi-GM, but received a promotion when it became evident they needed a real football guy? This is a restructuring with the same old people. I'd like for someone to explain to me what made it unnecessary to interview qualified candidates from other teams? What was Smithers afraid of? Someone criticizing their methods?

I'm excited about the restructuring, as well.

Losing John Guy and getting Nix were high on my list. Now add in the Whaley thing, the coaching staff finally has a QB coach, a revamped strength program, and bringing DeHaven back really makes me feel good.

I think DeHaven got a raw deal after 'Home-Run Throwback'.

I am still not too high on Modrak, but most of his work is already done, and losing him before this years draft would not serve any purpose. Besides, with Nix now working the lines, I feel that the bust decisions that have marked Modrak's tenure will suddenly come to an abrupt halt.

KNOWING THAT MODRAK NOW ANSWERS TO NIX HELPS ALLEVIATE THE MODRAK WORRIES I THINK <_<

It's not change if 2 in-house candidates were interviewed for the most critical front office job. It doesn't matter to far too many fans that Nix has not handled day to day ops for a NFL team, nor that the other guy interviewed was ultimately fired. This was the big house-cleaning?

And don't forget, RW's chief adviser is a non-football guy with authority over all team operations. He couldn't get it done as quasi-GM, but received a promotion when it became evident they needed a real football guy? This is a restructuring with the same old people. I'd like for someone to explain to me what made it unnecessary to interview qualified candidates from other teams? What was Smithers afraid of? Someone criticizing their methods?

The biggest change was swapping out Dick for Nix. I'd think DJ had most of the personnel power while he was here. If it was a committee, he led it. I do agree though, I would have liked them to interview some more people for it - from outside the organization - but I don't not like the Nix hire.

Also, if RW's "meddling" was the problem, maybe the promotion of Brandon was the perfect step. Now he is in the perfect position to buffer the "football guys" from RW, so they can do their jobs. If this new regime works out over the next few years, I'll bet Brandon gets most of the credit for making it happen.

The biggest change was swapping out Dick for Nix. I'd think DJ had most of the personnel power while he was here. If it was a committee, he led it. I do agree though, I would have liked them to interview some more people for it - from outside the organization - but I don't not like the Nix hire.

Also, if RW's "meddling" was the problem, maybe the promotion of Brandon was the perfect step. Now he is in the perfect position to buffer the "football guys" from RW, so they can do their jobs. If this new regime works out over the next few years, I'll bet Brandon gets most of the credit for making it happen.

In Marv Levy's fantasy world, DJ was someone who identified talent and knew how to match players to his system. Unfortunately, Marv's reliance on DJ was without any foundation. I'd agree DJ had far too much power, and the creation of the inner circle in late 2008 seemed to address that.

Unfortunately, DJ as HC was replaced by Chan Gailey, forgotten man in the NFL. This is a guy no one was even talking about as an OC in 2010. It doesn't appear that the HC or staff was upgraded all that much. And when you've got an AFC Championship game participant in NYJ, Belichick, and Sparano/Parcells in your division, it's not good enough.

And they got 2 solid "football guys" in Nix and Whaley. Every sign points to Nix making all of the football decisions, as opposed to DJ and the committee from the past 4 years. Just because Brandon was GM doesn't mean he was making the decisions all by himself.

Perhaps you simply don't understand how management works. Brandon got promoted so he oversees all team operations. That doesnt mean that he's got his nose in every final decision. Higher ups in any company aren't involved in the smaller, day-to-day operations. Parallel it to your work. Does your franchise manager come by the store and turn on the fryer and drop the fries everyday? Probably not, because thats your job. He oversees everything.

But think of the plus side of these moves. In a few years if the Bills promote Whaley to GM, you get to B word about Ralph not seeking outside people all over again.

I'm excited about the restructuring, as well.

Losing John Guy and getting Nix were high on my list. Now add in the Whaley thing, the coaching staff finally has a QB coach, a revamped strength program, and bringing DeHaven back really makes me feel good.

I think DeHaven got a raw deal after 'Home-Run Throwback'.

I am still not too high on Modrak, but most of his work is already done, and losing him before this years draft would not serve any purpose. Besides, with Nix now working the lines, I feel that the bust decisions that have marked Modrak's tenure will suddenly come to an abrupt halt.

Be careful, the Bills are the masters at pulling us fans in, and then dropping us when it really matters. My hope and faith in this team has taken a beating of the last 1 1/2 decades. <_<

Maybe there were no formal interviews but how do you know that Whaley was not contacted very early on? Maybe they wanted the experience of Nix, a known commodity to Ralph and Brandon, with Whaley coming in as his assistant and heir apparent? This could have been in the works for quite some time.

Maybe "Smithers" does not want to run the football side? He was stuck with it when Marv bailed. Maybe "Smithers" is smarter than you think?

And they got 2 solid "football guys" in Nix and Whaley. Every sign points to Nix making all of the football decisions, as opposed to DJ and the committee from the past 4 years. Just because Brandon was GM doesn't mean he was making the decisions all by himself.

Perhaps you simply don't understand how management works. Brandon got promoted so he oversees all team operations. That doesnt mean that he's got his nose in every final decision. Higher ups in any company aren't involved in the smaller, day-to-day operations. Parallel it to your work. Does your franchise manager come by the store and turn on the fryer and drop the fries everyday? Probably not, because thats your job. He oversees everything.

But think of the plus side of these moves. In a few years if the Bills promote Whaley to GM, you get to B word about Ralph not seeking outside people all over again.

I'm very much familiar with management, having worked there in civilian and military companies/units. And as much as some will rubber-stamp micromanagement, it does not lend itself to organizational health. RW's been meddling since Day 1 and with poor results. While I applaud the Whaley hiring, just being from a good franchise isn't enough. But sure, he's probably the GM in waiting for the Bills, provided they remain here.

And I'm also aware that RW still has a vice like grip on this franchise no matter who is GM, Assistant GM, CEO, or otherwise. It was RW who reportedly demanded they select Lynch in 2007. And it was RW who told Brandon to sign TO for the PR factor nearly a year ago.

Leadership filters through an organization. And when the top guys at OBD continue to make bad decisions, it's hard to get on board with the latest iteration of middle management choices. I don't for a second believe that RW allows his football people to have enough authority to make the right choices. Don't misunderstand, I know an owner will always have a say, but in Buffalo they've had a lot less than successful organizations like IND, SD, PIT, BAL, NYG, PHI, GB, and NE.

Actually I feel this team has been scrappy but the let down comes in the 4th quarter because of no O and the D on the field to long. Look at TOP game after game. For the lack of all around talent on this team they have been competetive.

These are professional athletes people! They should be in good enough shape to play 40+ minutes if they have to. How much activity does a player really have in a football game anyways?? What if the game went into OT?? Would they all pass out?

Maybe the change at strength & conditioning will help this.

In good tkesMarv Levy's fantasy world, DJ was someone who identified talent and knew how to match players to his system. Unfortunately, Marv's reliance on DJ was without any foundation. I'd agree DJ had far too much power, and the creation of the inner circle in late 2008 seemed to address that.

Unfortunately, DJ as HC was replaced by Chan Gailey, forgotten man in the NFL. This is a guy no one was even talking about as an OC in 2010. It doesn't appear that the HC or staff was upgraded all that much. And when you've got an AFC Championship game participant in NYJ, Belichick, and Sparano/Parcells in your division, it's not good enough.

Very good takes!

I'm very much familiar with management, having worked there in civilian and military companies/units. And as much as some will rubber-stamp micromanagement, it does not lend itself to organizational health. RW's been meddling since Day 1 and with poor results. While I applaud the Whaley hiring, just being from a good franchise isn't enough. But sure, he's probably the GM in waiting for the Bills, provided they remain here.

And I'm also aware that RW still has a vice like grip on this franchise no matter who is GM, Assistant GM, CEO, or otherwise. It was RW who reportedly demanded they select Lynch in 2007. And it was RW who told Brandon to sign TO for the PR factor nearly a year ago.

Leadership filters through an organization. And when the top guys at OBD continue to make bad decisions, it's hard to get on board with the latest iteration of middle management choices. I don't for a second believe that RW allows his football people to have enough authority to make the right choices. Don't misunderstand, I know an owner will always have a say, but in Buffalo they've had a lot less than successful organizations like IND, SD, PIT, BAL, NYG, PHI, GB, and NE.

If you believe what you just said, that 91 year old RW is and remains fully in control of football operations and decisions, with predictably disastrous results, and that the recent management and coaching changes are no more than window dressing, I can't imagine why you bother following this team. Its sorry fate would then be hopelessly sealed during Ralph's lifetime. Without hope, in our case hope of beneficial change, there is no point to any of this.

I have a different view. I believe that Nix, Gailey, whaley etc...are self respecting, quality individuals and football professionals who would not let themselves be used in this way. I also think that Brandon is quietly facilitating the changes we are seeing and is now the real insider and power broker at OBD. If you and I are smart enough to know what is needed to turn on field performance around, and it is not rocket science, just common sense, I'm sure Brandon has figured it out too. There have been far too many positive developments, involving too many quality individuals, for all this to be an elaborate RW magic trick designed to once more dupe the fans. I also believe that Brandon & Co made legitimate efforts to recruit Cowher and Shanny. Do you really think for a moment that either one of these guys was going to serve as a RW puppet?

RW has really been all over the lot. He has given up control before. You might say he had some bad luck there. Personally I fully expect this team to greatly outperform TD.

If you believe what you just said, that 91 year old RW is and remains fully in control of football operations and decisions, with predictably disastrous results, and that the recent management and coaching changes are no more than window dressing, I can't imagine why you bother following this team. Its sorry fate would then be hopelessly sealed during Ralph's lifetime. Without hope, in our case hope of beneficial change, there is no point to any of this.

I have a different view. I believe that Nix, Gailey, whaley etc...are self respecting, quality individuals and football professionals who would not let themselves be used in this way. I also think that Brandon is quietly facilitating the changes we are seeing and is now the real insider and power broker at OBD. If you and I are smart enough to know what is needed to turn on field performance around, and it is not rocket science, just common sense, I'm sure Brandon has figured it out too. There have been far too many positive developments, involving too many quality individuals, for all this to be an elaborate RW magic trick designed to once more dupe the fans. I also believe that Brandon & Co made legitimate efforts to recruit Cowher and Shanny. Do you really think for a moment that either one of these guys was going to serve as a RW puppet?

RW has really been all over the lot. He has given up control before. You might say he had some bad luck there. Personally I fully expect this team to greatly outperform TD.

Great Take I think RW is a fan signing the checks at this point! :thumbsup:

We can only hope all the changes pan out. I don't know what kind of GM Nix will be but I don't doubt his ability to run a draft and pick decent players. No idea how Gailey will be but I doubt he can be worse than DJ and I agree there was no way we were gonna land one of the "big boys." I hope the Coaches he surrounded himself turn out to be good. I hope Whaley is the real deal and a possible succession plan at GM......