Toyota and More Problems: 部3

ExiledInIllinois

Honda has a small recall for airbags also. Small recalls are coming out of the woodworks now because the car companies know they can hide in the shadow of Toyota's big f-up. The theory is that the news media won't spend much time covering the smaller recalls. Reality is they've known about these problems for a while. They are just strategically picking right now to announce them.

Is 950,000 vehicles still a small recall? (Doesn't sound small to me, but I'm really am not sure what constitutes a large recall)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35320665/ns/business-autos/

I'm not saying Toyota is fault free on this, but the coverage is incredibly ridiculous. I even heard a news story on TV the other day about one of GM's recalls. The news determined that the recall wasn't GM's fault since they were using parts/technology developed by Toyota. So apparently even when GM has a recall it's still Toyota's fault. :worthy:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own/drive a Toyota but find it odd that such a popular brand is "suddenly" having all these "problems" now that their competition in the USA is the US Government.

Not to say some of the stuff isn't legit but most people, given a choice, would still buy one over a competitor that employs Mr. Goodwrench!

Actually I got all those from ODI.

Sorry, I meant to say there was no ODI (NHTSA) action number. Without an action number, there was no investigation by the feds.

(Just to clarify, all recalls, voluntary or not, are monitored by the NHTSA-ODI, and will show up in their database.)

Just off the top of my head, the 2010 Ford F650/750, the 2010 Jaguar, and the 2010 Land Rover have no action numbers (that I could find). With no investigation, how do the feds force the recall?

In comparison, the 2010 Toyota Prius, in regards to it's braking problem, does HAVE an action number (PE10-006), meaning an NHTSA-ODI preliminary evaluation investigation was opened (on 2/3/2010).

Linky

Note, it is a preliminary evaluation investigation meaning the feds received enough complaints to take a look at the problem.

Interesting, Toyota issued a voluntary recall of the Prius on 2/9/2010.

Visit My Website

And no, I do not believe the feds "forced" Toyota into a recall.

Not in the least. He points to the complexity of today's builds, and the fact that US politcians use even the smallest of vehicle problems to make hay. The French and the Italians left the US market years ago, for valid reasons.

Maybe because their products were garbage?

I used to work at a multi-line dealership group, and one of the makes the group used to carry was Renault.

I talked to numerous techs, and hands down the Renaults were the biggest POS they had the "pleasure to work on.

I used to work at a multi-line dealership group, and one of the makes the group used to carry was Renault.

I talked to numerous techs, and hands down the Renaults were the biggest POS they had the "pleasure to work on.

Yes - bad..but charming. Since you said you consulted "techs", can I assume you had, or the sales force had, not a whit of regret about selling them and pocketing a profit?

Yes - bad...but charming. Since you said you consulted "techs", can I assume you had, or the sales force had, not a whit of regret, a tinge of trepidation, about selling them and pocketing a profit? :worthy:

I don't own/drive a Toyota but find it odd that such a popular brand is "suddenly" having all these "problems" now that their competition in the USA is the US Government.

Not to say some of the stuff isn't legit but most people, given a choice, would still buy one over a competitor that employs Mr. Goodwrench!

Bingo.

Engine sludging has been happening since the mid to late 1990's. For many years they fought tooth and nail over it... Constantly denying it was their bad engineering. They can't hide anymore. The thing about it is, years ago, Toyota could escape a lot of heat. There is nobody to take the heat anymore. More and more people are buying Toyotas and Toyota rightfully so has a target on its back. They can't just sweep things under the rug anymore.

There has always been warts... Every maker has them. They just can't shame people into not reporting them anymore.

There is a little something to be said about buying certain vehicles in the past and having a problem. If PR is positive and reviews are glowing, stuff gets sewpt under the rug. The opposite also happens, it is what we are seeing. It is all about building a brand.

True. Like I alluded above. I tend to believe is it psychological about brands... "You aren't supposed to have a problem with Toyota." I wonder how many real problems there are with the vehicles... I can drive it and find out. I am not saying I am not guilty of the same stuff... I don't run to the dealer with every little problem... There is a lot I let go... Then there are some people who run to the dealer for every little thing... Certain brands get certain types of people. Toyota is the big-dog now... There are all kinds of new people trying the brand.

Get what I am saying?

All you cats who love the Japanese cars so much should move there. I live in America,so I support American car companies.

What about foreign cars built in America? And cross brands like the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe? And my Canadian built Ford?

Is 950,000 vehicles still a small recall? (Doesn't sound small to me, but I'm really am not sure what constitutes a large recall)

Well... I mean.. it's a recall for 2001 and 2002 Accords. These have been on the road for a long time. How many owners will find out about the recall and even car to take their car in for it we do not know. Also if you read the article and not the sensationalist headline that these news corps are so good at, the recall is for 440,000.

Anyways, for perspective, the Toyota recall is 8 Million cars.

What about foreign cars built in America? And cross brands like the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe? And my Canadian built Ford?

A foreign car built here is better than one built overseas. At least they're using American labor. But overall,I want to spend my money with a company that's based here and has the bulk of their labor force,blue and white collar,in the U.S.

Well... I mean.. it's a recall for 2001 and 2002 Accords. These have been on the road for a long time. How many owners will find out about the recall and even car to take their car in for it we do not know. Also if you read the article and not the sensationalist headline that these news corps are so good at, the recall is for 440,000.

Because when you have a vehicle - if you bother to read the manual and read the clear steps about how you will be contacted, or even if it you do not have the OEM manual - you can independently contact the manufacturer to be alerted. Long-standing law requires contacting the owner of record.

But that begs a degree of personal responsiblilty, if you are a subsequent owner...

Did you read the article?

It's not just 440,000. It's an additional 440,000 for a total close to 950,000.

Honda Motor Co said it would recall another 440,000 cars around the world for faulty airbags...Honda, Japan's No. 2 automaker, has now recalled close to 950,000 vehicles for airbag problems linked to one fatality and a total of 11 injuries in the United States.

It's also not just Accords.

The latest recall applies to 2001 and 2002 models of the Accord, Civic, Odyssey, CR-V, Pilot and 2002 Acura TL and CL vehicles in the United States, as well as the Inspire, Saber and Lagreat in Japan. All vehicles are made at Honda's U.S. and Canadian plants.

Last month, Honda announced a global recall of about 646,000 cars for a fault with a window switch.

Also, this article is exactly what I'm talking about. It mentions Honda's recall in the first couple of paragraphs and then spends the vast majority of the article talking about Toyota. Somehow an article on Honda's recalls turned into another article about Toyota.

Do some Toyota's have some issues? Sure. Is the news a bit ridiculous in its coverage? Absolutely.