Toyota and More Problems: 部3

ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A foreign car built here is better than one built overseas. At least they're using American labor. But overall,I want to spend my money with a company that's based here and has the bulk of their labor force,blue and white collar,in the U.S.

Comparitive advantage at it's best :nana:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh looky looky... Eric is still here ;) :

Prius, that dealer said: "Was not part of recall."

:thumbsup:

Interesting... Sounds like potentiometer problems?? I have worked on electric carts with the same exact problem. Still I wonder if the guy put it in neutral?? Actually, if he did not... He probably handled it the best (yet dangerous) way knowing he was on a straight highway... Call the police so they can verify Toyota's !@#$ up... Have the police "talk you down" and lay their car in your path... That way Toyota can't blame the consumer.

Also: According to the driver (I don't know how true it is), he went to the dealer and they said: "Your (Prius model year) is NOT part of the recall."

What say ye apologists? Now they have a cop corroborating the stories.

Interesting... Sounds like potentiometer problems?? I have worked on electric carts with the same exact problem. Still I wonder if the guy put it in neutral?? Actually, if he did not... He probably handled it the best (yet dangerous) way knowing he was on a straight highway... Call the police so they can verify Toyota's !@#$ up... Have the police "talk you down" and lay their car in your path... That way Toyota can't blame the consumer.

Also: According to the driver (I don't know how true it is), he went to the dealer and they said: "Your (Prius model year) is NOT part of the recall."

bull ****. The gas and electric motors COMBINED put out 110hp. You are not going to do 90 mph in a Prius with the brakes engaged.

Still not buying it, no matter how many times you post about it. Please explain how the engine of the Prius is stronger than the brakes? Dude even says in the article that he could smell the brakes burning up from pressing them so hard. Seriously?

I will again point to this article, and the quote about brakes vs engines:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/in-defens...-the-audi-5000/

"Parnelli fired up the Caddy's big V8, dropped it in gear and floored it- with his other foot on the brake. The left rear wheel lit up in a screeching howl; the car was soon engulfed in a cloud of acrid smoke. The Caddy didn't move an inch- obviously. And neither did Parnelli, glancing at the wincing producer with his wicked grin. I had assumed (wrongly) that race-car drivers grew up eventually.

The experience seared in a lesson in basic automobile physics: brakes are always more powerful than engines, even when they have 500 cubic inches (8.2 liters). Too bad we didn't have our cameras running. We could have made a graphic rebuttal to 60 Minutes' fraudulent destruction of Audi."

If you can explain how the Pernelli doesn't move with an engine roughly a billion times more powerful than the Prius, and how the brakes of the Prius allegedly burned up but couldn't slow down the little electric car that could, I'm willing to listen. But basic physics say it's impossible.

On a related note, a cop car crashed into some pedestrians at a winter carnival here in Minnesota many years ago. Initially the cop said that the car lurched forward despite not actually pressing the gas. After the investigation, they found he accidentally pressed the gas. So do cop cars have "sudden acceleration problems" as well? Or do people get rattled/confused during stressful situations?

bull ****. The gas and electric motors COMBINED put out 110hp. You are not going to do 90 mph in a Prius with the brakes engaged.

What I take from the article is the car went to 94 and then when the brakes were applied decreased speed to 50. I assume that is where the cop stepped in and said something on the loudspeaker like: "step on the brakes" "put the car in neutral" "shut the car off."

This person does have a cop corroborating the story. So I guess more apologies. Geeze Louise!

Why do people defend Toyota?... I know you drive a Prius everyday of your life. Just be sure of what to do if this happens down the line.

But more to the point... Without the big domestic industry taking the heat, more and more people will be driving the rice-burners... And more and more people will be driving them longer (economy) before dumping them on the second-hand consumer. Hey... Have fun. Heck, I even coached my wife what to do if it happens TO ANY VEHICLE. Electronics are the norm now... And if what people deal with at their desktops the last 20 years is any indication... Good luck on the road!! Just ask me about my ABS sensor... ;);)

:thumbsup:;)

What I take from the article is the car went to 94 and then when the brakes were applied decreased speed to 50. I assume that is where the cop stepped in and said something on the loudspeaker like: "step on the brakes" "put the car in neutral" "shut the car off."

This person does have a cop corroborating the story. So I guess more apologies. Geeze Louise!

Why do people defend Toyota?... I know you drive a Prius everyday of your life. Just be sure of what to do if this happens down the line.

But more to the point... Without the big domestic industry taking the heat, more and more people will be driving the rice-burners... And more and more people will be driving them longer (economy) before dumping them on the second-hand consumer. Hey... Have fun. Heck, I even coached my wife what to do if it happens TO ANY VEHICLE. Electronics are the norm now... And if what people deal with at their desktops the last 20 years is any indication... Good luck on the road!! Just ask me about my ABS sensor... ;);)

:thumbsup:;)

Who the hell knows. Maybe it's because they bashed American cars for the longest time, now their beloved car sucks too.

Still not buying it, no matter how many times you post about it. Please explain how the engine of the Prius is stronger than the brakes? Dude even says in the article that he could smell the brakes burning up from pressing them so hard. Seriously?

I will again point to this article, and the quote about brakes vs engines:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/in-defens...-the-audi-5000/

"Parnelli fired up the Caddy's big V8, dropped it in gear and floored it- with his other foot on the brake. The left rear wheel lit up in a screeching howl; the car was soon engulfed in a cloud of acrid smoke. The Caddy didn't move an inch- obviously. And neither did Parnelli, glancing at the wincing producer with his wicked grin. I had assumed (wrongly) that race-car drivers grew up eventually.

The experience seared in a lesson in basic automobile physics: brakes are always more powerful than engines, even when they have 500 cubic inches (8.2 liters). Too bad we didn't have our cameras running. We could have made a graphic rebuttal to 60 Minutes' fraudulent destruction of Audi."

If you can explain how the Pernelli doesn't move with an engine roughly a billion times more powerful than the Prius, and how the brakes of the Prius allegedly burned up but couldn't slow down the little electric car that could, I'm willing to listen. But basic physics say it's impossible.

On a related note, a cop car crashed into some pedestrians at a winter carnival here in Minnesota many years ago. Initially the cop said that the car lurched forward despite not actually pressing the gas. After the investigation, they found he accidentally pressed the gas. So do cop cars have "sudden acceleration problems" as well? Or do people get rattled/confused during stressful situations?

It is not. He got the car down to 50 with the brakes. Don't forget... You are not applying them from a jack rabbit start... In this case, one is going down the highway at a steady clip... What does the ABS do at that speed? Anyway, the driver said he could smell the brakes burning up... And yes they held like you claim! :thumbsup:;)

This story actually has the cop on the brakes of the stopped car saying that he had to press them with all his might or the car would take off.

Also the driver said he tried to pry the gas pedal up during the incident.

So yes.. The brakes stopped the car.

No doubt there are + things to do in these situation? Do you want to play roulette with these faulty potentiometers? This isn't a harmless desktop application that freezes up here. Why isn't "brake priority' flashed into the computer/vehicle's brain? That would actually help the brakes even more.

Yes - something smells here.

I heard reports that the police used their cruiser loudspeaker to tell this fellow to use the brakes.

I'm guessing that they also mentioned disengaging the transmission (although, the Prius, like all the hybrids are technological marvels, highly controlled by their management systems...the traction control system, for example. You know about that. The Prius (and all hybrids) is also subject to precautions after a crash, with the possibility of hi-voltage leakage...and they in fact can move forward without driver intervention - so I have read).

And brakes are more powerful than the motor. I haven't followed drag racing since my youth. There were the various stock classes. The top one was "A Stock." A/S, for manual trannys, A/SA for automatics.

426 Hemi Roadrunners etc. in A/SA would lock up the binders at the line, and depress the throttle, rev up, and churn the torque converter up to what is known as the stall speed - beyond that point, motor would die. Then when the tree turned green, off they went.

What I take from the article is the car went to 94 and then when the brakes were applied decreased speed to 50.

"As it was going, I was trying the brakes...it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up," Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning he was pressing the pedal so hard.

The article itself says otherwise - the car accellerated with the brakes on.

Who the hell knows. Maybe it's because they bashed American cars for the longest time, now their beloved car sucks too.

I know why. It is because they have to drive or have a loved one drive one of these POS vehicles with faulty computer settings flashed into them and faulty potentiometer type gas pedals. It (defending Toyota) puts their mind at ease that they have some control over a situation... Which I will argue they do have control over the situation (neutral and the brakes)... YET, do you want it happening to you? Heck no!

The good part is that the problem is happening at highway speeds (seems when the vehicle is floored or called to passing gear)... The sad part will be when one goes through a garage and killa a child or at a stopped train crossing right into the train... Both situations not giving the driver time to react.

Whatever people do... DON'T FLOOR YOUR TOYOTA!... That is where they seem to stick.

"As it was going, I was trying the brakes...it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up," Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning he was pressing the pedal so hard.

The article itself says otherwise - the car accellerated with the brakes on.

Reading comp will help. Trying doesn't mean constant pressure. I take he was NOT applying the brakes hard enough, then letting up... The vehicle is FLOORED.. It will speed up unless you totally stand ont he brakes.

Again... Fez.. The car is in motion at a very high speed when you call the brakes. Very unlike like standing on them at the light while flooring it. And the pedal is stuck... So there is no way you are letting up on the gas with even the slightest control of that pedal.

Let's see what the cop is corroborating. Obviously they are lying too. :thumbsup: You guys are over the top. Again, this is not a harmless desktop application.

I heard reports that the police used their cruiser loudspeaker to tell this fellow to use the brakes.

I'm guessing that they also mentioned disengaging the transmission (although, the Prius, like all the hybrids are technological marvels, highly controlled by their management systems...the traction control system, for example. You know about that. The Prius (and all hybrids) is also subject to precautions after a crash, with the possibility of hi-voltage leakage...and they in fact can move forward without driver intervention - so I have read).

And brakes are more powerful than the motor. I haven't followed drag racing since my youth. There were the various stock classes. The top one was "A Stock." A/S, for manual trannys, A/SA for automatics.

426 Hemi Roadrunners etc. in A/SA would lock up the binders at the line, and depress the throttle, rev up, and churn the torque converter up to what is known as the stall speed - beyond that point, motor would die. Then when the tree turned green, off they went.

Next time I'm out where I can safely try it, I'm going to get the car up to a decent clip and see if I can get it in to neutral. The manual says I should be able to, I know that much - the transmission has "neutral" and "engine braking" settings, and advises against using neutral simply because engine braking recovers power to the batteries. I'm also going to try holding the brake down while pressing the gas pedal, and see what happens (I know the engine will overcome the parking brake - no surprise there).

Doesn't preclude a software fault, of course. The engines, transmission, and braking system outside the parking brake are all controlled by the same widget, ultimately, so a fault in that could do damn near anything. It would have to be an awfully specific fault, though, to forbid shifting into neutral while accellerating to 95mph with the brakes engaged just enough to burn without grabbing.

Reading comp will help.

You're right, so read it again:

He was standing on the brakes hard enough that the brakes were burning. That's not exactly "trying" the brakes. :thumbsup:

I am not disputing that. Maybe so. He was on a highway, he knew he was in a Toyota... One can easily do top-end I take and not get in trouble. Maybe he called the cops to be a dick seeing how the dealer told him that his vehicle wasn't included. He was 61 years old though. Given a controlled situation... I may have done the same thing!

You're right, so read it again:

He was standing on the brakes hard enough that the brakes were burning. That's not exactly "trying" the brakes. :thumbsup:

Yes. You know how OEM cheap calipers, rotors and pads are on cars. I can make my brakes smell under normal driving.

You/we are all taking the second hand info, if not beyond... What I am saying is, we don't know who edited it??

Any... Go 60 an hour and then stand on the brake WITHOUT taking your foot off the gas pedal. Tell me what happens.

Why are we disputing what happened to the brakes. It is not about the driver doing something to get out of the mess... The PROBLEM IS THE STICKING GAS PEDAL. Why are they sticking and why isn't "brake priority" installed on every vehicle. You know what "brake priority" is right?

Next time I'm out where I can safely try it, I'm going to get the car up to a decent clip and see if I can get it in to neutral. The manual says I should be able to, I know that much - the transmission has "neutral" and "engine braking" settings, and advises against using neutral simply because engine braking recovers power to the batteries. I'm also going to try holding the brake down while pressing the gas pedal, and see what happens (I know the engine will overcome the parking brake - no surprise there).

Doesn't preclude a software fault, of course. The engines, transmission, and braking system outside the parking brake are all controlled by the same widget, ultimately, so a fault in that could do damn near anything. It would have to be an awfully specific fault, though, to forbid shifting into neutral while accellerating to 95mph with the brakes engaged just enough to burn without grabbing.

Try going even 60 mph and while NOT letting up on the gas... Slam on the brakes. Tell me what the ABS (if equipped) does? Tell me what else happens. Or maybe yet, just wait till the real problem rears its ugly head on its own... Then file the report here. :thumbsup:

You know when you slam on the brakes, the ABS kicks in... In effect "pumping" the brakes... So no they are not "locked" like Parnelli Jones in Minnesota. Maybe I am wrong, did Parnelli have ABS installed on his 500?

??