Ernie Warlick had a Quad Bypass at 80

Ernie Warlick just had a quad bypass and the young age of 80 years old, let's hope he bounces back quickly. I remember meeting him a sports banquet as a kid and I shook his hand and asked him with hands that big how can you drop the ball, with a smile on his face he told me "sonny it's aint the hands it's them footsteps"! Get well soon Ernie! For all you youngsters who may not know who he is? He was a great tightend with the Bills in the early AFL years.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ernie Warlick just had a quad bypass and the young age of 80 years old, let's hope he bounces back quickly. I remember meeting him a sports banquet as a kid and I shook his hand and asked him with hands that big how can you drop the ball, with a smile on his face he told me "sonny it's aint the hands it's them footsteps"! Get well soon Ernie! For all you youngsters who may not know who he is? He was a great tightend with the Bills in the early AFL years.

Good thing he doesn't live in Europe or Canada...a bypass surgery at age 80, there? :w00t:

I recall he had a burger restaurant on the West Side. I met him once. Very friendly and he seemed to be a giant back then. Excellent player.

i remember his restaurant was up on main near bennett high

..and he's 77 by the way

..and he's 77 by the way

You are correct about the location of his establishment. If I recall correctly it was a fast food place. Maybe a Kentucky Fried Chicken? I've been racking my brain trying to remember what franchise it was. Can you help me. It is driving me crazy! ;)

You are correct about the location of his establishment. If I recall correctly it was a fast food place. Maybe a Kentucky Fried Chicken? I've been racking my brain trying to remember what franchise it was. Can you help me. It is driving me crazy! ;)

I think it was on Main - a Henry's Hamburger franchise, IIRC.

Also IIRC, he had a gig on on one the Bflo tv channels, doing the weather back in the chalkboard days. It was sponsored by the long-defunct Simon Pure brewery - one time, he had a bottle in his huge hand, and it shattered when he brought it down hard, to a desk.

I think it was on Main - a Henry's Hamburger franchise, IIRC.

Also IIRC, he had a gig on on one the Bflo tv channels, doing the weather back in the chalkboard days. It was sponsored by the long-defunct Simon Pure brewery - one time, he had a bottle in his huge hand, and it shattered when he brought it down hard, to a desk.

That's it. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Now I can be neurotic over some other piece of non-essential facts. ;)

Ernie Warlick lived five houses away from me in Amherst. My mom still stays in touch with his wife Louise. His son Chris was brilliant, and became a doctor at Washington University Hospital in St. Louis. I'm not sure if he's still there.

My mother worked at a bank in Amherst where he banked. He stood in line just like everyone else not asking special treatment.

Good thing he doesn't live in Europe or Canada...a bypass surgery at age 80, there? :beer:

Cincy, please don't go there. My God, that sounded an awful lot like some rightest trash. Our health care system compared to most, by any honest measurement, is a wreck.

AARP and the World Health Organization (yea I know, both are leftists, right?) have shown numerous flaws in our "system" or should we just call it what it is. "rape, pillage, and plunder" medicine.

The cost of health care in America per person is already more than double that of Canada, Germany, Great Britain and Japan. We have an even greater disparity in what drugs cost in the USA. Longevity, nope, were last in this group. Infant mortality, nope, last again. And the biggest lie of all (the naysayers claim other's wait times are longer or that they ration their medicine), seeing our doctors the same day we call for an appointment is again, behind that of GB and yes, Canada.

Do I believe Obama's plan was the answer? No, but more because of what it didn't attempt to correct (drug companies were appeased so that they would stay on the sidelines during the debates when Obama dropped his campaign pledge to make obtaining affordable drugs legally from Canada).

This year alone, the premiums for my employer sponsored health care plan increased by 13%. My share of the cost of this doubled. I also now have a immediate 500.00 deductible for each member of my family (6). The deductible must be met before the insurance pays a single dime. All this in a year that due to the housing collapse and energy prices declining slightly, was actually a deflationary year (.3% from AARP's figures). Where is the justice here? When will we realize that real reform IS necessary? When an illness bankrupts you and you lose your home?

Yet, there are those who line up against Government plans, sighting rationing, or denied care....Jeezy Pete, and the insurance companies haven't done this too? Limit your choices of Doctors? Again, the insurance companies play the

in-network, out of network game don't they. They also have had Primary care physicians, of which we had to pick form THEIR lists. My God, what will it take?

When Health care reform debates were at their peak in the Senate and House, hundreds of millions of dollars were spent by insurance companies and their lobbyists to propagate lies meant to ward off reform. Yet if the money exixts for this, where are the rate reductions for the insured? Or where are the benefit improvements? Not coming, and never will again, unless they are made to toe the line and finally place the patient first.

Yeah, health care here is is great. Your right.......... as long as your a Senator or Congressman (they pay NOTHING and are covered 100%, yet they cry broke if one seeks to improve the blight of the average citizen, but don't touch their health care, or their automatic pay raises (which also are of a percentage higher than ours as well).

Yes Sir, everything's just peachy.....

You are correct about the location of his establishment. If I recall correctly it was a fast food place. Maybe a Kentucky Fried Chicken? I've been racking my brain trying to remember what franchise it was. Can you help me. It is driving me crazy! :beer:

no it was a hamburger place with Ernie Warlicks name on the front and footballs painted on the front of the building.

..and he's 77 by the way

Yes, Main Street is correct. I have to dig deep into the grey matter but I remember it. I was first thinking of Henry's Hamburgers on the West Side.

Several of the 60's era Bills settled in the area. I also recall that Tom Sestak and Paul McGuire had a steak place called ... Sestak and McGuires.