Surprise in Free Agency?

Now I don't believe it myself, and wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up, but I was just wondering...

What if the Bills surprise people and go big in FA? What if we get a Wilfork, Green, Seymour, Dansby, or Franklin? It would be nice to know that when there is no cap limit in sight, they try to buy a championship. Just once before Ralph kicks the bucket to be able to hold it up and say we finally did it.

OK, I'll come back down to earth now.

an interesting thought for fa is the past association of dc edwards with seymore,,, maybe a little payback for him to bellicheck? stroud and seymore would be a great duo,, then maybe dunlap in the draft ? ,,unless we go ot i dont see anyone at 9 thats a need ,, mcclain will be gone ...

an interesting thought for fa is the past association of dc edwards with seymore,,, maybe a little payback for him to bellicheck? stroud and seymore would be a great duo,, then maybe dunlap in the draft ? ,,unless we go ot i dont see anyone at 9 thats a need ,, mcclain will be gone ...

Just like when they played next to each other for Georgia. With the Bills maybe looking to go to the 3-4, i think a Wilfork would be the better pick up.

If you wanted to spend big, sign Wilfork(if he gets away from N.E) then get the best FA LT. Who is out there?

Seeing how Dock and Lang were big picks ups and busted I don't think we will spend huge cash.

Dock and Lang were not the top tier FAs, they were second tier. Seeing as how great the Fletcher/Spikes/ and even TO signings were huge successes (TOs success being box office related) I def see us adding some big name guy.

Does anyone know if Seymour will even be available? Couldn't the Raiders Franchise him? I'm pretty sure Wilfork will get franchised. Our coaching staff still has ties to Pittsburgh, and they have a replacement for Hampton in a high draft pick last year. I'd think we'd go after him, who at 32 would mix in good with maybe a second or third round draft pick at the NT position. I'd think NT and QB are positions we'd try to get in FA, and maybe draft OLB and LT...

Dock and Lang were not the top tier FAs, they were second tier. Seeing as how great the Fletcher/Spikes/ and even TO signings were huge successes (TOs success being box office related) I def see us adding some big name guy.

Dock was paid the highest a OG was ever paid. Lang got 5 a year. Were they top guys? no but we paid them like it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we get a shocker and maybe trade down, or draft a WR in our current spot.

Does anyone know if Seymour will even be available? Couldn't the Raiders Franchise him? I'm pretty sure Wilfork will get franchised. Our coaching staff still has ties to Pittsburgh, and they have a replacement for Hampton in a high draft pick last year. I'd think we'd go after him, who at 32 would mix in good with maybe a second or third round draft pick at the NT position. I'd think NT and QB are positions we'd try to get in FA, and maybe draft OLB and LT...

I dont see us getting Seymour or Wilfork. I read somewhere that Seymour is interested in staying in Oakland and talks are underway to keep him there. No way Wilfork is getting out of NE, wasnt that the point of trading Seymour?

I agree that we should get a QB and NT via FA, maybe even a WR and LB. I would be surprised if its any of the big names though...just like our coaching search, I think this is going to be a major let down.

I know its crazy, but I wouldnt mind picking up LT for the right price. He doesnt expect to be with San Diego much longer. I would then dump Lynch...hes one screw up away from a year suspension...just a matter of time.

Now I don't believe it myself, and wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up, but I was just wondering...

What if the Bills surprise people and go big in FA? What if we get a Wilfork, Green, Seymour, Dansby, or Franklin? It would be nice to know that when there is no cap limit in sight, they try to buy a championship. Just once before Ralph kicks the bucket to be able to hold it up and say we finally did it.

We know this doesn't happen in the NFL. So, unless this team is NOT going to be around in 5-10 years, we have to let this "football" regime build from the ground up through the draft.

If Ralph knows the team will move...I still can't see him going all Dan Snyder on us, but a few guys would be possible.

Our new ass. GM might lure Casey Hampton away from Steelers, since we have no NT. Anyone know if he's any good?

Copying the Steelers

Buffalo, which has been a 4-3 defensive team since 2001, is switching to a 3-4 scheme, a Steelers trademark. The Bills are moving former Penn State standout Aaron Maybin from end to outside linebacker, but their defense lacks a prototypical nose tackle in the middle.

Given Whaley's ties to the Steelers and the fact that Casey Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, could Hampton end up in Buffalo if the Steelers fail to re-sign him?

There are other free agents who played with the Steelers in 2009 who could help Buffalo's defensive transition, players such as free safety Ryan Clark, strong safety Tyrone Carter and defensive end Nick Eason. They were all scouted by Whaley, whose responsibilities with the Steelers included evaluating pro players, including Clark, Carter and Eason.

The 3-4 defense is complicated, and it takes years to learn for players not familiar with the system. Bringing in personnel familiar with the 3-4 can accelerate the learning process and make the transition easier.

Buffalo is the latest team to attempt to emulate the Steelers.

Steelers' free agents as good as gone

"You didn't feel that strong about signing me before the season, so why is it such a big issue for you to try to keep me now?" Hampton responded.

Talk about telling it like it is.

Hampton's absolutely right. He doesn't figure in the Steelers' defensive plans like he did a couple of years ago.

He'll be 33 at the beginning of next season, and the team no longer considers him an every-down player. In fact, he no longer plays on passing downs.

Repeat after me: the Steelers will never pay full-time wages for a part-time player.

In truth, the Steelers feel the same way about free safety Ryan Clark and running back Willie Parker.The 2010 draft is deep in talent at defensive tackle and safety -- deeper than it has been in years -- and it just so happens those are the positions where Hampton and Clark play.

In other words, the Steelers don't have to spend high draft picks on potential replacements for Hampton and Clark -- and they can save money in the process.

So, if they're copying the Stealers, they just might go the draft route themselves to get a NT. However, it does seem like Hampton will be available. Question is - will The Bills pay full time player big money to a guy that plays part time?

As for FA's, the Steelers, Packers, and 49rs all have NT potentially available, and all three teams were in the top five for rushing yards allowed last year. If Stroud can contribute as an end, we should be able to pick up starting NT and DE in FA this year. Not to mention, people like Larry Foote expect to be gone... there are other FA OLB's, and the draft is deep on em. So, if we wanted to put together a good starting D this year, we can - it's whether or not they spend the money, and on the right guys.

Nice to dream but with a cap they did not spend beyond the cash-to-cap level. Why would they go beyond ?

Ask Danny Synder how buying that championship is working out.

I would be happy with 1 big name player (maybe someone that can help us transition to 3-4) and 5 mid-tier solid, veterans to shore up the many, many holes on this team.

Seeing how Dock and Lang were big picks ups and busted I don't think we will spend huge cash.

Dockery and Langston were overpayed busts because they were busts before they even joined the team. They both were bad selections and given inflated contracts because of the bad front office judgments. Adding them onto the roster wasn't the major miscalculation compared to the money they undeservedly got.