Surprise in Free Agency?

Dock and Lang were not the top tier FAs, they were second tier. Seeing as how great the Fletcher/Spikes/ and even TO signings were huge successes (TOs success being box office related) I def see us adding some big name guy.

I would not be surprised to see us pick up a veteran QB as a stop-gap until we can draft a franchise guy.

Copying the Steelers

Buffalo, which has been a 4-3 defensive team since 2001, is switching to a 3-4 scheme, a Steelers trademark. The Bills are moving former Penn State standout Aaron Maybin from end to outside linebacker, but their defense lacks a prototypical nose tackle in the middle.

Given Whaley's ties to the Steelers and the fact that Casey Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, could Hampton end up in Buffalo if the Steelers fail to re-sign him?

There are other free agents who played with the Steelers in 2009 who could help Buffalo's defensive transition, players such as free safety Ryan Clark, strong safety Tyrone Carter and defensive end Nick Eason. They were all scouted by Whaley, whose responsibilities with the Steelers included evaluating pro players, including Clark, Carter and Eason.

The 3-4 defense is complicated, and it takes years to learn for players not familiar with the system. Bringing in personnel familiar with the 3-4 can accelerate the learning process and make the transition easier.

Buffalo is the latest team to attempt to emulate the Steelers.

Steelers' free agents as good as gone

"You didn't feel that strong about signing me before the season, so why is it such a big issue for you to try to keep me now?" Hampton responded.

Talk about telling it like it is.

Hampton's absolutely right. He doesn't figure in the Steelers' defensive plans like he did a couple of years ago.

He'll be 33 at the beginning of next season, and the team no longer considers him an every-down player. In fact, he no longer plays on passing downs.

Repeat after me: the Steelers will never pay full-time wages for a part-time player.

In truth, the Steelers feel the same way about free safety Ryan Clark and running back Willie Parker.The 2010 draft is deep in talent at defensive tackle and safety -- deeper than it has been in years -- and it just so happens those are the positions where Hampton and Clark play.

In other words, the Steelers don't have to spend high draft picks on potential replacements for Hampton and Clark -- and they can save money in the process.

So, if they're copying the Stealers, they just might go the draft route themselves to get a NT. However, it does seem like Hampton will be available. Question is - will The Bills pay full time player big money to a guy that plays part time?

Thanks. Might just be a stop-gap play, but better than nothing. I mean, it's only Ralph's money and he won't need it for long.