What would you rather have?

Gotta Dream

What would you rather have?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Draft pick...

• Perennial All-Pro _ Impact player (ie. McClain)
    • Possible above average QB (ie. Bradford/Claussen)

For me, I'd rather have the perennial all-pro.

I just don't think the Bills are ready for a high risk pick like a QB in this draft. We need the sure thing. The Bills really screwed up with Maybin. We are not in a position to pick a "high risk - high reward" player. Too much of a gamble.

As the NFL is a league defined by the QB you have, that needs to be what they take. Yes you can build the lines, get all pros at other positions etc and hope to get a QB some other time, but if you have a shot at a QB with the potential to be a franchise QB, you must take them. Look at the teams in the playoffs this year. All but one of them had top 15 QBs and the one that didn't had a QB they had just taken 4th overall. To look at it another way, there were only 2-3 good QBs who didn't make the playoffs this year.

Luckily for those who don't want to see a QB taken at 9 neither Claussen nor Bradford will be availible.

you lost me. How on earth can you say Clausen or Bradford are possible (probable?) above average qb's? I don't see anything about them that would even put them in the top ten players in most drafts. I love this talk about one of them being a franchise guy.

I would be more interested in the perennial all pro (McClain) versus the much needed left tackle (Davis or Baluga) I" do for the tackle, although I probably wouldn't whine too much if we took mcclain and drafted two tackles with 2 and 3

This thread assumes. Neither of those two assumptions are based on truth or fact. It's just opinion. In essence, one would rather have an All Pro, however there's no denying that QB is FAR more important and valuable a position than MLB.

+1

Why is McLain a sure-thing All-Pro? I'll admit I saw maybe 3 Alabama games this year tops. He looked great. But so did AJ Hawk and Derrick Johnson. I wouldn't be against him at all...but a QB is what this team needs and has needed (more or less) for 15 years.

And I'll add that I'm continually amazed by the amount of people who didn't see Jimmy Clausen play at all this year. :lol:

+1

Why is McLain a sure-thing All-Pro? I'll admit I saw maybe 3 Alabama games this year tops. He looked great. But so did AJ Hawk and Derrick Johnson. I wouldn't be against him at all...but a QB is what this team needs and has needed (more or less) for 15 years.

And I'll add that I'm continually amazed by the amount of people who didn't see Jimmy Clausen play at all this year. :lol:

Yep. McClain does look good and SEC defenses are great, but he also benefitted tremendously from playing behind Cody. Clausen put up great numbers this year, playing in a pro-style offense under a guy who worked with and helped develop Tom Brady for many years.

Yep. McClain does look good and SEC defenses are great, but he also benefitted tremendously from playing behind Cody. Clausen put up great numbers this year, playing in a pro-style offense under a guy who worked with and helped develop Tom Brady for many years.

??? Most good football players benefit from the other good players on the field.

you lost me. How on earth can you say Clausen or Bradford are possible (probable?) above average qb's? I don't see anything about them that would even put them in the top ten players in most drafts. I love this talk about one of them being a franchise guy.

I would be more interested in the perennial all pro (McClain) versus the much needed left tackle (Davis or Baluga) I" do for the tackle, although I probably wouldn't whine too much if we took mcclain and drafted two tackles with 2 and 3

How can you predict McClain will be above average then either? (using the same argument that you have for Bradford and Claussen).

Who the hell is going to play quarterback next year? WE DON'T HAVE ONE...that is by far our biggest need....

How can you predict McClain will be above average then either? (using the same argument that you have for Bradford and Claussen).

Who the hell is going to play quarterback next year? WE DON'T HAVE ONE...that is by far our biggest need....

Uh, technically, we have 3 right now. Edwards, Fitz, and Brohm only they might not be deemed worthy of having the radio in the helmet every Sunday.

As the NFL is a league defined by the QB you have, that needs to be what they take. Yes you can build the lines, get all pros at other positions etc and hope to get a QB some other time, but if you have a shot at a QB with the potential to be a franchise QB, you must take them. Look at the teams in the playoffs this year. All but one of them had top 15 QBs and the one that didn't had a QB they had just taken 4th overall. To look at it another way, there were only 2-3 good QBs who didn't make the playoffs this year.

Luckily for those who don't want to see a QB taken at 9 neither Claussen nor Bradford will be availible.

It is all about the QB

I just don't think the Bills are ready for a high risk pick like a QB in this draft. We need the sure thing. The Bills really screwed up with Maybin. We are not in a position to pick a "high risk - high reward" player. Too much of a gamble.

WHAT?? Your user name is "Gotta Dream" and yet you are talking about high risk-high reward and too much of a gamble...Risk is part of the game and for you to see the aren't ready for a high risk pick like a QB...What better time than now??? We have in all practicality "NOTHING" So how can something be a big gamble when you have nothing to begin with...what's there to lose??? Oh the QB might flop and you end up with 5 or 6 wins! That's all we know..5,6,7 wins! and even if it were 2 wins..at least we'd draft higher...but the reward...the sweet reward could be 8 or 9 wins...not much more than that despite how good a QB is when you have all the holes we do! Oh yeah, there are no sure things at any position...so much can change...the speed of the game is faster in the NFL, injuries happen, some players can't grasp the playbook right away, some get a fat contract and get lazy...ie: Mike Williams! A sure thing at the time! 4th pick...pretty safe pick picking a OT right??? Woops..guess not!! Plenty of examples...POZ was a sure thing too..and he has been injury prone and not the dominant force so far that many people expected...I don't mean to rip into this blog...but how can you not..the entire thing is a contradiction, and a pessimistic view of what we need to do!! You can stick with Trent Edwards or Fitzy if you want and waste another season,...but thank God it's not your call ! (nor is it mine)..So "Gotta Dream" huh...the blog would fit much better if your username was "Better safe than sorry" !!!! :lol:

I understand where you're coming from, but here's my problem with your argument: QB is the most important position in football, and it's also one of our worst positions. We NEED to get a real QB. Unfortunately, there just are no "sure things" available at QB. The only 2 I can think of in NFL history were Drew Brees via FA (only available because Rivers was ready to start) and Joe Montana via trade (only available because Steve Young was ready to start AND Montana was pretty old). Montana barely counts, because KC knew they'd only have him for a year or two.

McClain's probably about as sure a thing as there is at #9, but LBs just aren't that important to a team's success. How much of an impact did Curry have on Seattle's D last year? Chicago's D was pretty bad this year despite the presence of a healthy Brian Urlacher. AJ Hawk's a nice player, but he's hardly the key to that defense. Patrick Willis has been awesome in his first 2 years, but come playoff time, he's been sitting at home with the rest of the 49ers. Even impact linebackers don't make that much impact in the W-L column.

I feel like you have to look at positional value. Step 1 is to get a QB, step 2 is to protect that QB. Step 3 depends on your defensive scheme, but it involves getting a good front 7. That's why I'd rather take either QB if he's available, or more realistically, I'd rather take the 3rd OT at #9 than the first LB.

WHAT?? Your user name is "Gotta Dream" and yet you are talking about high risk-high reward and too much of a gamble...Risk is part of the game and for you to see the aren't ready for a high risk pick like a QB...What better time than now??? We have in all practicality "NOTHING" So how can something be a big gamble when you have nothing to begin with...what's there to lose??? Oh the QB might flop and you end up with 5 or 6 wins! That's all we know..5,6,7 wins! and even if it were 2 wins..at least we'd draft higher...but the reward...the sweet reward could be 8 or 9 wins...not much more than that despite how good a QB is when you have all the holes we do! Oh yeah, there are no sure things at any position...so much can change...the speed of the game is faster in the NFL, injuries happen, some players can't grasp the playbook right away, some get a fat contract and get lazy...ie: Mike Williams! A sure thing at the time! 4th pick...pretty safe pick picking a OT right??? Woops..guess not!! Plenty of examples...POZ was a sure thing too..and he has been injury prone and not the dominant force so far that many people expected...I don't mean to rip into this blog...but how can you not..the entire thing is a contradiction, and a pessimistic view of what we need to do!! You can stick with Trent Edwards or Fitzy if you want and waste another season,...but thank God it's not your call ! (nor is it mine)..So "Gotta Dream" huh...the blog would fit much better if your username was "Better safe than sorry" !!!! :thumbsup:

You got me there. But how many "sure thing" QB's picked in the first round become above average QB's? ( I don't have time to look it up). Saying that, how good are these QB's anyway? They are top of the class in this years draft, but how would they stack up against Sanchez?

and as good as his numbers were how come he wasn't winning at Notre Dame?

DE-FENSE

I'm fully aware that I probably pump Clausen up more far more than he is worth, but people really, really should have watched at least a few ND games before talking about him.

I'd challenge anyone to watch his game tape from this past season and tell me if you've ever seen a QB play as near-flawless as he did. He is lazer accurate, got a strong arm and doesn't make mistakes.

??? Most good football players benefit from the other good players on the field.

Absolutely true. It's just a point that he was fortunate enough to play behind another potential 1st rounder who made his life easier. That mammoth space-eating, blocker-occupying beast allowed McClain to roam free, untouched, sideline to sideline.

Poor defense. His surrounding cast wasn't much to work with. Football is a team game and one guy can't do it all, no matter how good he is. His numbers are impressive, improving each year and his coaching was top-notch. He's NFL-ready, good size too. Played for a big-time school against some good opponents.

Also, check the numbers. ND went 6-6 but each loss was by 7 points or less. They were always in it. He can't do it by himself.

DE-FENSE

I'm fully aware that I probably pump Clausen up more far more than he is worth, but people really, really should have watched at least a few ND games before talking about him.

I'd challenge anyone to watch his game tape from this past season and tell me if you've ever seen a QB play as near-flawless as he did. He is lazer accurate, got a strong arm and doesn't make mistakes.

Is he tough? What is his make-up?

I'll take the above average QB...the QB still is responsible for more wins or losses than any other player on the field...

Get an above average QB and you will likely make the playoffs....you can have studs at other positions and still finish 4-12