Just Say No to Ageism!

folz

I've seen in a number of threads where posters say Buddy and/or Chan are bad or will be bad simply because

they are old. And we should have picked younger guys who are more in touch. But age also means experience...

not saying that always leads to success, but their age does not preclude that they will fail.

Ok, Ralph is 91, that is old

But 58 and 70 years old in this day and age doesn't mean you're ready for the retirement home, or are going

senile, or are so hopelessly out of touch with the world that you can't be productive anymore.

Chan just turned 58 years old

Bill Belichick is 57 (only 3 months younger than Chan)

Pete Carroll is 58 (4 months older than Chan)

Mike Shanahan is 57 (only 7 months younger than Chan)

John Fox is 55

Wade Phillips is 62

Jim Caldwell is 55 (and in a Superbowl)

Tom Coughlin is 63 (won a Superbowl at 61)

Norv Turner is 57

Marty Schottenheimer was 63 his last year in SD (66 now)

Marv Levy was 71 when he retired (went to Super Bowls at age 65, 66, 67, and 68)

Dick Vermeil was 69 when he retired (won Superbowl when he was 63)

Bill Parcells coached until he was 65

I could go on and on...

If we had hired Shanahan would anyone be saying he's too old?

Buddy is 70 years old

Bill Parcells is 68

Mike Holmgren is 62

Bill Polian is 67

A.J. Smith is 61

Jerry Jones is 67

Al Davis is 80 (ok, bad example)

GM info was harder to find and yes, Buddy is one of the oldest current GMs, but would

anyone be saying they were too old if we hired Parcells or Polian?

Age doesn't mean anything, but experience can mean everything

I am not saying these guys will be successful (but I hope they are) and I'm fine with

people arguing against them because of their records/resumes, or them being retreads,

or in-house hires, or whatever, but please stop with the they aren't good because they are old stuff...

It really is as bad as saying blacks are not intelligent enough to play QB or that whites are not agile enough to play the skill positions. Treat people as individual cases, not as statistical probabilities. In the case of Ralph Wilson, age isn't the reason for his incompetence at managing the football side of his business. Ralph's been screwing things up in that area since he was in his 50's.

Agreed...good post. I'm pulling for this staff as well. Hey Bills fans - Gailey and Nix WANT TO BE HERE AND WANT TO WIN. Let's show some support.

That would be way too easy, it's much more fun to make fun of the way they talk, spew unwarranted filth and here say about every little move, question their combined 50plus years of experience and proclaim them failures before they ever take the field, oh I almost forgot whining about the guy that got away that never planned on coming in the first place.

BTW, I agree with you. +1

That would be way too easy, it's much more fun to make fun of the way they talk, spew unwarranted filth and here say about every little move, question their combined 50plus years of experience and proclaim them failures before they ever take the field, oh I almost forgot whining about the guy that got away that never planned on coming in the first place.

BTW, I agree with you. +1

Oh, put a sock in it gramps!

Kidding, I'm a (fairly) old fart myself. Excellent post! Hopefully this put the age thing into perspective a little bit. I still hate the Gailey hiring but it has nothing to do with age!

Oh, put a sock in it gramps!

Kidding, I'm a (fairly) old fart myself. Excellent post! Hopefully this put the age thing into perspective a little bit. I still hate the Gailey hiring but it has nothing to do with age!

hey, its ok not to like a hire for a legit reason, but to simply say "well f him he's old" is stupid, the truth is, nix has been a part of building a winning franchise from the ground up, and chan does have a winning record overall, and has developed schemes and players off all types. Point is, just give it a chance, if he sucks, then he sucks, but maybe, just maybe, this is the surprise team that brings the winning back to buffalo.

Ageism can work both ways. Hiring nothing but fellows over 70 years of age can be discrimination against younger guys who may have more qualifications, believe it or not.

we hired 1 guy 70 or older, also, remember, those younger guys must WANT to be here, and apparently, those types are on short supply for the bills.

I got nothing against old guys. Just stupid old guys. Right now, as much as I like Nix and Gailey as personalities, the process by which they were hired (both GM and coach) was idiotic. :worthy:

Just for the record, I love my grandparents.

All this talk about giving them a chance - we don't have much of a choice now, do we? But I'll give this franchise a chance and trust them when a decision they make reaps dividends. Until then they deserve and should expect our skepticism.

C

Agreed...good post. I'm pulling for this staff as well. Hey Bills fans - Gailey and Nix WANT TO BE HERE AND WANT TO WIN. Let's show some support.

Best way to say it! I think we all can agree...eventually...that hiring Nix and Gailey, although not our 1st, 2nd, or even 6th choice, is/will be a good thing because of their willingness to be here...I definitely wouldnt want to employ someone who doesnt want to be here.

I got nothing against old guys. Just stupid old guys. Right now, as much as I like Nix and Gailey as personalities, the process by which they were hired (both GM and coach) was idiotic. :blush:

Just for the record, I love my grandparents.

All this talk about giving them a chance - we don't have much of a choice now, do we? But I'll give this franchise a chance and trust them when a decision they make reaps dividends. Until then they deserve and should expect our skepticism.

C

:worthy: +2

It really is as bad as saying blacks are not intelligent enough to play QB or that whites are not agile enough to play the skill positions. Treat people as individual cases, not as statistical probabilities. In the case of Ralph Wilson, age isn't the reason for his incompetence at managing the football side of his business. Ralph's been screwing things up in that area since he was in his 50's.

And the funny thing is that at 91 the man has built multiple businesses that are worth near a billion dollars. His football operations might be lacking, but his business sense has served him well.

Buddy is 70 years old

Bill Parcells is 68

Mike Holmgren is 62

Bill Polian is 67

A.J. Smith is 61

Jerry Jones is 67

GM info was harder to find and yes, Buddy is one of the oldest current GMs, but would

A lot of people wanted Ron Wolf. Ron Wolf is 71.

I've seen in a number of threads where posters say Buddy and/or Chan are bad or will be bad simply because

they are old. And we should have picked younger guys who are more in touch. But age also means experience...

not saying that always leads to success, but their age does not preclude that they will fail.

Ok, Ralph is 91, that is old

But 58 and 70 years old in this day and age doesn't mean you're ready for the retirement home, or are going

senile, or are so hopelessly out of touch with the world that you can't be productive anymore.

Chan just turned 58 years old

Bill Belichick is 57 (only 3 months younger than Chan)

Pete Carroll is 58 (4 months older than Chan)

Mike Shanahan is 57 (only 7 months younger than Chan)

John Fox is 55

Wade Phillips is 62

Jim Caldwell is 55 (and in a Superbowl)

Tom Coughlin is 63 (won a Superbowl at 61)

Norv Turner is 57

Marty Schottenheimer was 63 his last year in SD (66 now)

Marv Levy was 71 when he retired (went to Super Bowls at age 65, 66, 67, and 68)

Dick Vermeil was 69 when he retired (won Superbowl when he was 63)

Bill Parcells coached until he was 65

I could go on and on...

If we had hired Shanahan would anyone be saying he's too old?

Buddy is 70 years old

Bill Parcells is 68

Mike Holmgren is 62

Bill Polian is 67

A.J. Smith is 61

Jerry Jones is 67

Age doesn't mean anything, but experience can mean everything

I am not saying these guys will be successful (but I hope they are) and I'm fine with

people arguing against them because of their records/resumes, or them being retreads,

or in-house hires, or whatever, but please stop with the they aren't good because they are old stuff...

Well said but realize the ones complaining are probably in their teens and 20's and think it's cool to pick on older people.

Maybe you guys should have taken a look at the Sports Guy's Rule on that...

If the coach of your favorite team is older than 55, or if your team is about to hire someone who's older than 55, there's a good chance you should start preparing for a frustrating stretch of football.

Only Dick Vermeil (63), Weeb Ewbank (61), Tom Coughlin (61) and Barry Switzer (58) have won over the age 55.

What Super Bowl are we on now...XLIV??

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/s...patriots/090925

Hey...I'm old. I think Buddy and Chan are bad because they haven't shown they are any good. I'm less than impressed by their resumes to date. I thought the same about Dick Jauron. Hope I'm wrong and they have been hiding all the good stuff to pull it out in our 2010 superbowl run.