Best Rock Guitarists Ever

truth on hold

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High profile names I left off the list:

Clapton (see original post)

Beck interesting style, has command over instrument, just not sure how many players he influenced; many were turned off with his jazz rock experiments

Angus Young some kick butt solos, but actually quite basic. too simple of a style to say he influenced anyone

Keith Richards close call here but his emphasis on rhythm tips the scale against him; although he did have some memorable solos too

Blackmore some good work but really lacks the flair of any of the top names

Iommi another close call. his work is under appreciated for some reason, and therefore didn't influence as many as it maybe it should have; best work "heaven and hell", but still lacks his one marquee solo (i.e. like Page has Whole Lotta Love)

Mahlsteen best right hand in rock, but shredding is way too formulaic and lacks feel

Steve Vai I'd love to put him on there for his smooth style, but doesn't have a large enough body of work with David Lee Roth; solo progressive rock jazz stuff largely forgettable; seems contrived on stage too

I have always thought it was J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. I saw them play last week and the stuff he was doing ruined at least 25% of my record collection.

:lol: J kicks ass! I love the Where You Been Album. Heck, there are songs where the song begins with a sick guitar solo. Are you a Sebadoh fan too? They are another great band

I used to think similarly.

Then I saw him live.

Now I get it.

With Clapton it isn't really about chops. If you are only impressed by speed, or showmanship with the axe, Clapton probably isn't your cup-o-tea. But Clapton plays with an authenticity most rock players lack. That isn't to say Clapton can't play with speed, or has no chops. Those just aren't the things that make him special.

I'm happy to see few references to Van Halen. He stinks.

Among the greats already mentioned I have to go along with Santana, Zappa, Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Page, Isley and Stevie Ray.

Roy Buchanan may be the best blues-rock guitarist ever. Certainly the best I ever saw live.

Some guitarists that are quite good, and are usually overlooked in this sort of thing, include Richard Thompson, Dave Mason, Buck Dharma (Donald Roeser), Steve Morse, Les Dudek and Robin Trower.

Of course, there are many we are still missing.

BTW, I saw Tommy Bolin in concert and he was sensationally bad. But then again, he died a short time later, so it may not have been his finest hour.

With Clapton it isn't really about chops. If you are only impressed by speed, or showmanship with the axe, Clapton probably isn't your cup-o-tea. But Clapton plays with an authenticity most rock players lack. That isn't to say Clapton can't play with speed, or has no chops. Those just aren't the things that make him special.

Among the greats already mentioned I have to go along with Santana, Zappa, Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Page, Isley and Stevie Ray.

Roy Buchanan may be the best blues-rock guitarist ever. Certainly the best I ever saw live.

Some guitarists that are quite good, and are usually overlooked in this sort of thing, include Richard Thompson, Dave Mason, Buck Dharma (Donald Roeser), Steve Morse, Les Dudek and Robin Trower.

BTW, I saw Tommy Bolin in concert and he was sensationally bad. But then again, he died a short time later, so it may not have been his finest hour.

Holy crap....Trower! Really excellent Hendrix-style/blues guitarist. Phenomenally great, live. Still making music, too.

Another HC for Les Dudek. Same for BOC Dharma.

A couple faves of mine:

Steve Hunter: Listen to him on Rock 'n Roll Animal live. Yikes.

Michael Hedges: Gone, but I'm pretty sure he had 8 fingers on each hand.

Billy Gibbons: Amazingly good with what looks like almost no effort.

Jeff Beck: Kinda pompous, but all that without a pick?

High profile names I left off the list:

Clapton (see original post)

Beck interesting style, has command over instrument, just not sure how many players he influenced; many were turned off with his jazz rock experiments

Angus Young some kick butt solos, but actually quite basic. too simple of a style to say he influenced anyone

Keith Richards close call here but his emphasis on rhythm tips the scale against him; although he did have some memorable solos too

Blackmore some good work but really lacks the flair of any of the top names

Iommi another close call. his work is under appreciated for some reason, and therefore didn't influence as many as it maybe it should have; best work "heaven and hell", but still lacks his one marquee solo (i.e. like Page has Whole Lotta Love)

Mahlsteen best right hand in rock, but shredding is way too formulaic and lacks feel

Steve Vai I'd love to put him on there for his smooth style, but doesn't have a large enough body of work with David Lee Roth; solo progressive rock jazz stuff largely forgettable; seems contrived on stage too

Anybody who mentions Angus and Iommi is Big Time OK in my book!!!!! Master of Reality is still one of my all time favs.

:death: J kicks ass! I love the Where You Been Album. Heck, there are songs where the song begins with a sick guitar solo. Are you a Sebadoh fan too? They are another great band

yeah I am! Sebadoh was amazing. Bake Sale was probably my soundtrack to high school.

Other names for the list:

Marc Ribot (really cool work on Tom Waits' Rain Dogs)

Peter Green (those pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac records are insane)

Tom Verlaine (Television was one of the great guitar bands)

Clay Tarver/Matt Sweeney (the two guitarists in obscure mid 90s band Chavez. You like guitars? You listen to Chavez)

Danny Whitten (Crazy Horse is my ground zero for guitar work)

Ace Frehley (c'mon, Ace is the dude)

John Fahey (not really rock, but lawd that guy must have 12 fingers on his left hand)

Lee Renaldo (Sonic Youth re-invented the guitar)

In addition to the aforementioned...

Joe Satriani, anyone? Excellent compositionalist, and not afraid to push his own boundaries (e.g. "Engines of Creation" - an experiment in techno sound that largely sucks, but I highly respect his willingness to experiment in that direction).

In addition to the aforementioned...

Joe Satriani, anyone? Excellent compositionalist, and not afraid to push his own boundaries (e.g. "Engines of Creation" - an experiment in techno sound that largely sucks, but I highly respect his willingness to experiment in that direction).

Yup, Satriani should be on every guitar list.

Good list. May I add--

Kirk Hammet of Metallica is top notch. ..And.....some may laugh but those in the know know--Peter Frampton.