Mike Mayock Speaks

papazoid

The draft is a crap shoot so while I trust Mayock's opinion I have to disagree about Clausen. If you look at football prospectus they examine what coming out of college is the most important stats/characteristics and according to them you have to look at completion percentage (Consitantly going up and must be above 60), games played, a strong NFL arm, and a low INT total.

Now if you look at Clausen he had a slightly above 60% his sophomore year and a 68% completion percentage last season. He started all games in his sophomore and junior years (Played injured most of his junior year which proves he is at least a little tough). He only threw 4 Ints last year (2 off of WR tips) and according to all scouts he has an NFL caliber arm.

Also I know the whole California thing may scare some off but he played his college ball at Notre Dame which is far away from Calie and it does get cold there towards the end of the season. To me if Clausen is there at pick 9 I say take him we can trade back up into the back end of the 1st round via our 2nd and 3rd round picks to take a LT to help protect him (A somewhat deep draft class).

So me some random internet douche thinks Clausen if there we should take him.

I like Clausen much more than Bradford. Bradfords never played in the cold nor the wind on a regular basis. He's skinny and I'm not sure he'd hold up under our line. Clausen reads the field and feels the rush better than most college qb's I've seen. Another plus is his quick release. We'd be stupid to pass him up.

I like Clausen much more than Bradford. Bradfords never played in the cold nor the wind on a regular basis. He's skinny and I'm not sure he'd hold up under our line. Clausen reads the field and feels the rush better than most college qb's I've seen. Another plus is his quick release. We'd be stupid to pass him up.

Bradford also played almost exclusively out of the shotgun. How can you not be nervous to draft a QB who never took a snap under center? And as a Texas fan, I say the same thing about McCoy. Except I must add I don't think he has the arm strength or accuracy to cut it in the NFL.

I think our new G.M. and H.C. know what we're missing to be a competitive team. Sure, players will depend on system, but, in general terms, a good O-line and D-line and QB and LB corps, etc. are pretty easily evident. We've got a serious hole on our O-line, D-line, QB, maybe two at LB, and probably WR. That's four to six STARTERS we need to get with the draft and F.A. in order to field a competitive team next year, barring injury. Now, if we could get starters out of four draft picks - and that is a lot to ask of rookies in one year, then we'd still be looking at a few F.A.'s to come in and help. So, I ask myself which positions can come in as rookies and make an impact the easiest. In my mind it is LB, D-line, as far as our needs go. O-line third. So, unless there is a spectacular QB available in Rd 1 - who that would be I don't know - I could see us taking the best LB or DT in Rd 1, and trying to fill out the O-line and Qb through rounds 2-4. Get maybe a vet Qb in F.A., along with a wideout. That's how I see the needs and the likely places for their being met.

This.

The draft is a crap shoot so while I trust Mayock's opinion I have to disagree about Clausen. If you look at football prospectus they examine what coming out of college is the most important stats/characteristics and according to them you have to look at completion percentage (Consitantly going up and must be above 60), games played, a strong NFL arm, and a low INT total.

Now if you look at Clausen he had a slightly above 60% his sophomore year and a 68% completion percentage last season. He started all games in his sophomore and junior years (Played injured most of his junior year which proves he is at least a little tough). He only threw 4 Ints last year (2 off of WR tips) and according to all scouts he has an NFL caliber arm.

Also I know the whole California thing may scare some off but he played his college ball at Notre Dame which is far away from Calie and it does get cold there towards the end of the season. To me if Clausen is there at pick 9 I say take him we can trade back up into the back end of the 1st round via our 2nd and 3rd round picks to take a LT to help protect him (A somewhat deep draft class).

So me some random internet douche thinks Clausen if there we should take him.

If he is there, we will take him. Brandon will over-rule Nix and Coach Hick because Clausen is the guy that will sell the most tickets.

And frankly, he does seem to have a good chance at NFL success, I would welcome the chance to have an NFL calibre QB on the team. Something we now lack.

And looks like he is a fun guy.

Clausen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tebow as an NFL prospect and a human being.

If he is there, we will take him. Brandon will over-rule Nix and Coach Hick because Clausen is the guy that will sell the most tickets.

And frankly, he does seem to have a good chance at NFL success, I would welcome the chance to have an NFL calibre QB on the team. Something we now lack.

And looks like he is a fun guy.

Clausen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tebow as an NFL prospect and a human being.

You're just being stupid and antagonistic now.

I respect Mayock's opinion more than any of the rest of these TV "draft gurus", but I disagree with him on Clausen as well. Jimmy will get it done in the NFL. He's taken great strides forward every season at ND. Better than Bradford? I think so. Year before last, when Bradford put up those insane numbers and won the Heisman, it was behind one of the best overall OL's in college football. This year he was going to be under pressure a whole lot more. What happens? He injures his shoulder and we never got to really see how he would be able to take it. Clausen, on the other hand, never had a stellar OL or a serious rushing threat behind him at ND and was still able to put up good numbers. The poor guy was running for his life quite often back there in the pocket trying to buy time for himself. All this being said, I don't see Clausen being on the board at #9. He will be gone before then. I do agree with Mayock though on who the best 2 players in the upcoming draft are. Suh and Gerald McCoy seem to be "can't miss" prospects IMO.

I respect Mayock's opinion more than any of the rest of these TV "draft gurus", but I disagree with him on Clausen as well. Jimmy will get it done in the NFL. He's taken great strides forward every season at ND. Better than Bradford? I think so. Year before last, when Bradford put up those insane numbers and won the Heisman, it was behind one of the best overall OL's in college football. This year he was going to be under pressure a whole lot more. What happens? He injures his shoulder and we never got to really see how he would be able to take it. Clausen, on the other hand, never had a stellar OL or a serious rushing threat behind him at ND and was still able to put up good numbers. The poor guy was running for his life quite often back there in the pocket trying to buy time for himself. All this being said, I don't see Clausen being on the board at #9. He will be gone before then. I do agree with Mayock though on who the best 2 players in the upcoming draft are. Suh and Gerald McCoy seem to be "can't miss" prospects IMO.

Yes Clausen AND Bradford will very likely be gone in the first 8 picks, I agree with you.

Simply because they are the only legit QB prospects in the draft this year.

Neither Bradford or Claussen would finish the season with the Bills. Both are candidates for IR if drafted by the Bills.