What did everyone take out of the New Conference

billsfreak

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were there it might have sent the message that "We support this move and agree with it and are really trying to make this team a winner." Instead the message was "We know that nobody is going to like this signing, and we are scared of the criticism so we are going hide and avoid it."

I'm of a mind that people will look to B word about something even when that particular thing isn't worth bitching about. No offense, but maybe you are reading into things a bit much and trying to find the negative.

1. Why wouldnt he defend the organization that he works for? Especially when he has idiot reporters like Jerry Sullivan who have no idea how to run a football team are sitting there in the front row and its expected you will get dumb comments from idiots.

2. Nix is running the operation now and has full control. I for one am glad we didnt have Ralph there, bumbling about how hes still alive, and still relevant in the NFL.

3. Nix, Ralph both came out when Nix was hired and said there would be lots of speculation and no one outside the organization will know what is going on. Are you pissed just like Jerry Sullivan was that he was outsmarted by a 70 year old man that everyone poked at? Its an NFL job. How many people you think apply for cashier at Burger King? And this is an NFL Head Coaching position. Im sure Nix didnt overestimate the amount of calls they received. You most likely had everyone in their mother applying for the position thinking they may have the best shot.

4. Nix is new to his position for an NFL team that has not been as bad as the Raiders in the last 5-10 years. The Raiders are and have been more of a joke then the Bills have been in that time. The Bills have at least flirted with playoffs and winning records during Jaurons tenure. He is making a statement that we are not as bad as some "fans" like you make us out to be. Which is fact.

5 & 6. I think only people from Buffalo, or those that are familiar with the Bills, Nix, Gailey would even understand it. If you refer to their accents you are stereotypical and most likely uninteligent yourself for thinking so. I directly with a company based out of the south and the people I associate with are extremely sharp and would be able to make you look foolish any day of the week. It sounds like your only knowledge of the south is from TV shows and movies (Simpsons Cletus character, Southern Comfort, Deliverance, Waterboy).

1. I didn't say there was anything wrong with defending the organization, I was just pointing out that he came out defensive before anyone even said anything. Normally these type of press conferences are announced with a sense of excitement and hope.

2. If you really believe that 15 qualified people called every day for 5 or 6 weeks and wanted interviews, yet everyone anyone ever heard of beside Gailey turned down the opportunity, you are quite gullible yourself.

3. When did the Bills ever flirt with the Playoffs while Jauron was here? You might be thinking about when he was in Chicago.

4. You call me unintelligent for referring to their accents, and if you would have read the post, I started that line with "On a lighter side" which for intelligent people means it is in a jokingly nature, so maybe I am not the one who is unintellegent? Got a mirror? I have never said people from down south aren't intelligent or don't know football, some of them are the most successful coaches in recent years.

I am as much of a Bills fan as anyone on this board, having been so for nearly 40 years. Just because I look at things in the real world, and not in a fantasy that everything they do is the right thing because I am a fan, only means that after the last decade of disaster, that I am in the majority of fans. I want the Bills to win as much as anyone else, but I am not buying into a move like this until they give me a reason to buy into it. I have bought into too many terrible moves over the past decade, as have thousands of Bills fans, and we are all fed up with being taken for a ride and coming out empty handed.

1. Why wouldnt he defend the organization that he works for? Especially when he has idiot reporters like Jerry Sullivan who have no idea how to run a football team are sitting there in the front row and its expected you will get dumb comments from idiots.

2. Nix is running the operation now and has full control. I for one am glad we didnt have Ralph there, bumbling about how hes still alive, and still relevant in the NFL.

3. Nix, Ralph both came out when Nix was hired and said there would be lots of speculation and no one outside the organization will know what is going on. Are you pissed just like Jerry Sullivan was that he was outsmarted by a 70 year old man that everyone poked at? Its an NFL job. How many people you think apply for cashier at Burger King? And this is an NFL Head Coaching position. Im sure Nix didnt overestimate the amount of calls they received. You most likely had everyone in their mother applying for the position thinking they may have the best shot.

4. Nix is new to his position for an NFL team that has not been as bad as the Raiders in the last 5-10 years. The Raiders are and have been more of a joke then the Bills have been in that time. The Bills have at least flirted with playoffs and winning records during Jaurons tenure. He is making a statement that we are not as bad as some "fans" like you make us out to be. Which is fact.

5 & 6. I think only people from Buffalo, or those that are familiar with the Bills, Nix, Gailey would even understand it. If you refer to their accents you are stereotypical and most likely uninteligent yourself for thinking so. I directly with a company based out of the south and the people I associate with are extremely sharp and would be able to make you look foolish any day of the week. It sounds like your only knowledge of the south is from TV shows and movies (Simpsons Cletus character, Southern Comfort, Deliverance, Waterboy).

:devil::devil:

Guest dog14787
I sure hate to get in the way of the mindless Ralph- and Russ-bashing, but has it occurred to anyone that they may not have been at the PC because they wanted to send a clear message that Nix, the "football guy" is the man in charge for these decisions?

You know, like how most of the Ralph- and Russ-bashers have been demanding?

Just a thought.

A very logical thought, its possible RW finally became to disgusted and drained from the yearly process of having to make serious Football decisions yet failing to have success time after time.

Forget what Jim Kelly, the fans or anyone else is saying, listen to the man you put into position to build your football team, what a concept...

1. I didn't say there was anything wrong with defending the organization, I was just pointing out that he came out defensive before anyone even said anything. Normally these type of press conferences are announced with a sense of excitement and hope.

2. If you really believe that 15 qualified people called every day for 5 or 6 weeks and wanted interviews, yet everyone anyone ever heard of beside Gailey turned down the opportunity, you are quite gullible yourself.

3. When did the Bills ever flirt with the Playoffs while Jauron was here? You might be thinking about when he was in Chicago.

4. You call me unintelligent for referring to their accents, and if you would have read the post, I started that line with "On a lighter side" which for intelligent people means it is in a jokingly nature, so maybe I am not the one who is unintellegent? Got a mirror? I have never said people from down south aren't intelligent or don't know football, some of them are the most successful coaches in recent years.

I am as much of a Bills fan as anyone on this board, having been so for nearly 40 years. Just because I look at things in the real world, and not in a fantasy that everything they do is the right thing because I am a fan, only means that after the last decade of disaster, that I am in the majority of fans. I want the Bills to win as much as anyone else, but I am not buying into a move like this until they give me a reason to buy into it. I have bought into too many terrible moves over the past decade, as have thousands of Bills fans, and we are all fed up with being taken for a ride and coming out empty handed.

Interesting osbservation...I am located in VA and I have worked with Southern based companies and I have found all types of people with southern accents. Some are extremely intelligent and some are aren't. I have notice one thing, people with various accents are often poked fun at. When people poke fun at Al Davis' New York accent do you assume they are unintelligent...probably not. When you here people poke fun at the New England accent do you assume they are unintelligent....probably not. I do notice that people from the south tend to be more self conscious about it than others.

One assumption that I made when watching the conference is that we have an "old boy" network at work here and I am not sure how a Leslie Frazier would have fit in no matter how good he is. When Marv Levy was GM he no doubt picked Dick Jauron based on the intellectually stimulating conversations they have had about books that Oprah's book of the month club have recommended. Both GM's brought in people that they could relate to on a personal level. I think this more than often can deter people from making the best decision. Lets not ignore the obvious but lets not assume the negative toward Nix and Gailey or the people that may poke fun at them.

I'm obvious a Bills fan and will always be one and as Chan said winning will quiet the naysayers. I just hope they can take us to the playoffs and win the SB.

Oh no... you did not just play the "Realism means viewing everything in the most negative way" card, did you?

Skepticism is definitely a good thing, but relentless negativity is no more realistic than relentless optimism. And it makes you a lot less fun to be around.

Interesting osbservation...I am located in VA and I have worked with Southern based companies and I have found all types of people with southern accents. Some are extremely intelligent and some are aren't. I have notice one thing, people with various accents are often poked fun at. When people poke fun at Al Davis' New York accent do you assume they are unintelligent...probably not. When you here people poke fun at the New England accent do you assume they are unintelligent....probably not. I do notice that people from the south tend to be more self conscious about it than others.

One assumption that I made when watching the conference is that we have an "old boy" network at work here and I am not sure how a Leslie Frazier would have fit in no matter how good he is. When Marv Levy was GM he no doubt picked Dick Jauron based on the intellectually stimulating conversations they have had about books that Oprah's book of the month club have recommended. Both GM's brought in people that they could relate to on a personal level. I think this more than often can deter people from making the best decision. Lets not ignore the obvious but lets not assume the negative toward Nix and Gailey or the people that may poke fun at them.

I'm obvious a Bills fan and will always be one and as Chan said winning will quiet the naysayers. I just hope they can take us to the playoffs and win the SB.

i used to travel alot....my customer in texas, all the butt of their jokes were to Louisiana. my customer in cincinnati oh, they picked on kentucky. my customer in alabama, they picked on folks from the north (yankees). whats my point?.....everyone pokes fun at someone.......doesn't make it right......it's just the way it is.

When I moved down South, one of the first things I realized is, while the southern accent tends to be associated with a low IQ (at least it was in my mind), that is just a stereotype. Some of the sharpest and smartest people I know down here have heavy accents. You can't necessarily equate the accent with IQ.

and the really smart folks are happy for you to believe that myth while the get the better of a deal. Underestimate at your own peril.

A few things that I noticed that were kinda strange from the news conference the other day announcing the hiring of Chan Gailey.

1. I noticed right away that Nix, as soon as he started speaking was in a defensive mode. He was defending himself and the organization before anyone even asked him any questions.

2. Where were Ralphie Boy and Brandon. My guess is they were afraid of the criticism of their inability to run an organization successfully, and their super ability to run an organization into being the joke of the league, that they were afraid to show up.

3. 15 phone calls a day wanting an interview? Please. And none of those rumors of people declining interview offerings were true. Does he really think Bills fans are as dumb as we look sometimes following this team?

4. Has Nix looked at the lack of success of this organization over the past decade? How can he call out any other NFL team (Raiders) in a negative way when he should know that it is going to be broadcast on ESPN and NFL Network at a minimum?

5. As I was watching it,, it appeared to me that they could broadcast it at 11:30 on NBC on saturday nights withouth editing, it might be the funniest skit on Saturday Night Live.

6. On a lighter note, is that the most rednecks ever assembled at One Bills Drive? Chan Gailey might be an offspring of Ralphie, the ears are quite similar.

point 6.

Last time i checked those 'rednecks' from the south had a better economy, better quality of living, and were not getting raped by there state gov't when taxes hit. So who is the moron?

anyone know terms of Gailey's contract ??.....years/ $$

Don't worry, when it comes out there will be 7,982 threads about how we overpaid and / or Ralph is super cheap. Trust me, you'll know when everyone else knows...

I'm of a mind that people will look to B word about something even when that particular thing isn't worth bitching about. No offense, but maybe you are reading into things a bit much and trying to find the negative.

No offense, but I wasn't reading into anything, I was replying to another posters comments with regards to my original post. Maybe you aren't reading enough into things or the entire thread before you are posting. I would love to find something positive to post about, and I will as soon as something positive happens.

point 6.

Last time i checked those 'rednecks' from the south had a better economy, better quality of living, and were not getting raped by there state gov't when taxes hit. So who is the moron?

I think that you are the moron, do you know what "On a lighter note" means? Means I was joking, but obviously being the moron that you are, you obviously wouldn't have known that.

A few things that I noticed that were kinda strange from the news conference the other day announcing the hiring of Chan Gailey.

1. I noticed right away that Nix, as soon as he started speaking was in a defensive mode. He was defending himself and the organization before anyone even asked him any questions.

2. Where were Ralphie Boy and Brandon. My guess is they were afraid of the criticism of their inability to run an organization successfully, and their super ability to run an organization into being the joke of the league, that they were afraid to show up.

3. 15 phone calls a day wanting an interview? Please. And none of those rumors of people declining interview offerings were true. Does he really think Bills fans are as dumb as we look sometimes following this team?

4. Has Nix looked at the lack of success of this organization over the past decade? How can he call out any other NFL team (Raiders) in a negative way when he should know that it is going to be broadcast on ESPN and NFL Network at a minimum?

5. As I was watching it,, it appeared to me that they could broadcast it at 11:30 on NBC on saturday nights withouth editing, it might be the funniest skit on Saturday Night Live.

6. On a lighter note, is that the most rednecks ever assembled at One Bills Drive? Chan Gailey might be an offspring of Ralphie, the ears are quite similar.

Other than the fact that I'm a Bills fan conditioned to expect disappointment, I thought the press conference was excellent. At the risk of sounding like a cliche, I would think a football team benefits from tough men leading other tough men. I absolutely loved Buddy's comment when he talked about media reports of what may have transpired, his exact words, with emphasis on the right syllables to convey just a bit of arrogance "I don't care.". Good for him. He shouldn't care what the media thinks, he needs to focus on his vision for this team.

I find it hard to believe that a job paying in excess of $1 m a year with a handful available every year would NOT be an attractive opportunity for a guy who believes in his ability to lead a club. Don't get me wrong--I can fully understand why Cowher or Shanny or the like might be concerned about ownership issues and Toronto etc, but not everyone is at the level they are at. Maybe Harbaugh didn't want to leave the college ranks, maybe he didn't want to go to Buffalo. In the end, it didn't work out, he's not here, life goes on. Frazier as HC? Well, Buddy said up front he wanted an offensive mind-set brought to the team.

I liked Gailey's comments and how they seemed to mesh with Nix's. I see success as more of an issue of (good and effective) management working together with a plan. Various plans can and do work in the NFL. We need Nix and Gailey to develop a vision, implement a plan and get the players to work the plan. It seems to me that both guys have experience, both guys understand what they want, and with luck their plan will work.

I think Gailey is a guy who knows what he wants to do offensively. That's a breath of fresh air to me. We just went through a most improbable season where a coach opted to go rookies on the line and to fire his OC just prior to the first game. Guess what--to no one's surprise, it reflected in the play of the offense.

I loved Nix's response to Jerry Sullivan. Old Jerry wants to make the "process" into the story, wants to go down the "what if" scenarios, that's understandable but as a business owner myself, what does it matter? Nix's job is to build a winning team, not worry about the feelings of a sports writer. Even if he's lying though his teeth about the number of inquiries he received, so what? The Bills went in a direction they wanted to go, the rest is a distraction from the job at hand.

here's where I'm at. I feel better having Nix at the helm of football operations than I did with Brandon. There is a body of work that suggests he has the capacity to be successful.

So, a lot of cliche-type stuff at the press conference, understandable to be concerned that we're back where we started. At the same time, there's hope for the future with these two guys working together. I'll withhold complaining about the ineffectiveness of the system until I see it fail.

Skepticism is definitely a good thing, but relentless negativity is no more realistic than relentless optimism. And it makes you a lot less fun to be around.

Thanks for this. I've never used a signature on TSW, but am adding this if it's okay with you.