Kiper 1st mock

BeastMode54

I am shocked anyone wants to draft a QB in the first round.. good god people.. we can't even keep a QB upright long enough to throw a pass more than 10 yards most of the time. Can we please address the OL in the first round? I am not a Trent Edwards fan, but how good could this guy have been with a solid line in front of him? The guy is gun shy from getting crushed every damn play. Games are won in the trenches.. The OL and DL are the most important components of a winning team. We haven't had a decent O line in over 10 years! I am ok with our D line.. but we also need LB's bad!

If it were up to me I would probably spend all of my draft picks on OL and LB's!! LOL

#1 LT

#2 LB

#3 RT

I don't want a QB round 1 I want the right QB in round 1. To me Clausen is the best QB out there in this draft and if we don't have to trade up to get him then I say we take him. This LT draft is a very deep one so if we go with Clausen in round 1 at pick 9 then I think that we should package the 2nd and 3rd round picks to go back into round 1 and take a good LT.

So my thinking is IF Clausen is available at pick 9 then why should we settle for just 1 a QB or a LT why not try to get both. Guys like Buluga and Campbell might be rip to take somewhere around pick 26ish and then we suddenly have the 2 things you need to start an offense 1- a QB and 2- some blindside protection for that QB.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon, the Super Bowl itself was in 2001 as he likely meant. But I agree with his point that the Ravens won the SB despite QB because they had a great D and a pretty darn good OL with a hot rookie running back that eventually ran for 2000 in a season.

OTOH, probably the worst OL to make the Super Bowl the last 20 years was last years Cardinals, but were able to get around that because Warner was an established QB that has a quick release. Even so, they had 2 high picks used on that line. If Warner retires, I can easily predict that Cards will fall apart due to a young QB not having great protection.

No worries man... was not busting on him for that, was actually helping him make his point.

Yours is also a good one. I think the Cards collapse if they turn things over to Leinart this year.

No worries man... was not busting on him for that, was actually helping him make his point.

Yours is also a good one. I think the Cards collapse if they turn things over to Leinart this year.

They might not collapse but they will definitely take a step back. The Cards are coached well and were developing a ground game with Wells so even if their passing game takes a step back. If they draft well and help out their Defense they might have a chance to sustain their success.

No offense intended, but the Ravens also won the Superbowl in 2001 with Trent Dilfer so you point seems a little mute!

First, no offense taken. Second, and at the risk of pointing out the obvious, the Ravens won that Super Bowl because of their defense, which was one of the three best in NFL history. (The other two being the Steel Curtain and the '85 Bears defense.)

So yeah. The Ravens had a great overall record because their defense carried their offense. Take the Super Bowl itself, for example. The Ravens started that game by going three and out. Their next possession was also a three and out. Their third possession was a three and out. Finally--after four or five possessions--they managed to get a first down. But they got away with all this because after each time the Ravens' offense went three and out, the Ravens' defense forced the Giants to do the same.

The Ravens' offense wasn't just ineffective during those first few drives. It was lackluster all year long, as it demonstrated by going five straight games without a touchdown. The Ravens' offense produced just ten points in its playoff game against Tennessee. The announcers expressed shock that a team with an offense that bad made it to the Super Bowl, because stuff like that almost never happens.

The Ravens' offense was ineffective/mediocre despite having a good-to-outstanding OL, and despite having one of the best RBs in the league (Jamal Lewis) at RB. The bottom line is that if you want a good offense, you're going to need a quarterback.

At pick 9 you rarely get a chance to get a top QB like Clausen. To me Clausen has franchise QB written all over him. I doubt he will be there at pick 9 but if you look at who is ahead of us the only team that might take Clausen ahead of us is Seattle.

Washington will likely take Bradford (If reports are to be believed), St.Louis will take Suh, Detroit and Cleveland both have young QB's in Stafford and Quinn. Oakland could also take him but they draft so far off the board so who knows about them. KC is likely going to stick with Matt Cassel for at least another year.

However if Seattle passes on Clausen and Oakland drafts off the board we might just have a shot at Clausen but it all depends on what Seattle decides to do.

I don't know about franchise QB. I wouldn't draft any of these QB's in the top 10. The Bills should take an OT or Rolondo McClain if they stay at 9. What they should really do is trade down into the teens and pick up another 2nd rounder.

I don't know about franchise QB. I wouldn't draft any of these QB's in the top 10. The Bills should take an OT or Rolondo McClain if they stay at 9. What they should really do is trade down into the teens and pick up another 2nd rounder.

I think you can always have doubts about any QB coming out of college. To me it comes down to 3 things coming out of college 1- Completion percentage (In Clausen's junior year he had a 68% competition percentage and in his sophomore year he had a slightly above 60%) 2- Games started (He played all of his games in his sophomore and junior year) 3- Arm Strength (According to all of the scouts he has a very good arm).

The schedule at ND was soft but he had a miserable O-line and lost one of his top receivers early in the season so its not like he was carried by a good offense either. And as a bonus he has a very quick release. So if you are looking for a reason not to draft a QB you can pretty much find one.

Can people stop pointing out Trent Dilfer when saying we don't need to draft a QB? When we develop a defense that ranks in the top five of all time then that point can be made...

Did you happen to read the entire conversation or did you just see Dilfer and post a response?

Did you happen to read the entire conversation or did you just see Dilfer and post a response?

haha, ohh totally guilty as charged on that one. Just went back and read it. Oops. But I've heard a ton of that Trent Dilfer crap on this board the past week when people were actually serious as that being a reason to ignore the position come draft day...

I have to admit Calusen would be an intriguing choice we DO need a qb and he does have franchise potential despite the limp wrist pictures of him.

Also he would sell tickets for Brandon; qbs are sexy first round choices.

If he is there at #9 my guess is we take him, for the ticket selling reason alone. He would be this years TO. Seeing as Gailey certainly is NOT this years TO and was a universwally reviled and condemned hire.

There is no way Clausen lasts until #9 but if he does the Bills need to take him. You build around a franchise QB and he has that ability. You can not count on getting another chance. Just dreaming though because there is no way he gets past Washington and Seattle. (not to mention St. Louis) Kiper is off base here in my opinion.

There is no way Clausen lasts until #9 but if he does the Bills need to take him. You build around a franchise QB and he has that ability. You can not count on getting another chance. Just dreaming though because there is no way he gets past Washington and Seattle. (not to mention St. Louis) Kiper is off base here in my opinion.

i agree with ya 100%.......i would love it if clauson or bradford fell to us at #9......i also agree that both Wash & Sea will take QB's.....either way the bills wind up with a great player......they won't mess it up this year.

STL- Suh

DET- McCoy

TB- Berry

WASH- Bradford

KC - Okung

SEA- Clauson

CLE - Haden

OAK- choice of DE's.....Morgan or Dunlap or Pierre-Paul

BUF- choice of LT's ....Williams or Davis or Bulaga.....sleeper pick McClain (ILB)

DEN- Dez Bryant ......replace Marshall.

JAX- TEBOW....they MUST sell tickets !!

MIA- McClain

SF- Left Tackle

SEA- C.J. Spiller