Regarding the viewpoint that Maybin is too small

BobbyC81

Here are some physical stats from NFL.com:

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Schobel- 6-4, 243 (if Maybin is small, what is Schobel?)

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Maybin put on a lot of muscle between the end of his last college season and the Combine. He likely can add some more.

Yes, the Bills DEs are on the small side weight-wise compared to the average NFL DE but that's what fit their scheme.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Maybin put on a lot of muscle between the end of his last college season and the Combine. He likely can add some more.

Yes, the Bills DEs are on the small side weight-wise compared to the average NFL DE but that's what fit their scheme.

Maybe Maybin is just not that good? Would that be a possibility?

I will likely never warm to the Maybin pick, but I don't doubt that a full NFL off-season conditioning program can do wonders for his size/strength.

No matter how hard he worked out before he reported to camp last year -- it likely wasn't as good as supervision from a pro NFL team (Bills staff or not).

If the Bills do end up going to a 3-4 I think we can expect Maybin to be moved to LB where his size would be just right. Let's hope he's smart enough to be able to handle making the transition.

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

hmm and everyone on that list sucks... to counteract the schobel worshipers on this board - i'll say that he's at least average

well first the listed heights weights aren't worth very much. Maybin said that he played at 245, but then he kind of implied in the same interview that he played closer to 240 (he also said he wants to play around 255 next season). Schobel has said that he just doesn't bother lying about his weight like most DE's in the league do.

the main thing is that Maybin looks and plays light. Schobel doesn't. It's probably, as Hardy Pile says, about leverage - body shapes vary and power is more about how the player is able to utilize their strength rather than just how many pounds they weigh on a scale.

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Smallness may be an issue of some kind. I think the bigger issue is the fact that sucks at professional football. Otherwise he would have earned a lot more playing time or perhaps been moved to linebacker given the rash of injuries we had at linebacker.

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Yes, the Bills DEs are on the small side weight-wise compared to the average NFL DE but that's what fit their SUCKYscheme... THE tAMPON-2

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

As a couple of other posters are saying, Maybin REALLY doesn't weigh in at 250, and now it's getting doubtful whether he can put on weight and keep it on. Furthermore, as for Schobel, he is an exception to the rule, while Kelsey is a legitimate 261 (and isn't exactly a star, huh?), and Ellis.....while heck, man, Ellis is really a non factor so far, don't you think? :unsure:

While Schobel has had games and even seasons where he has been brilliant what do any of those names mean as a comparison? The Bills have been on a run of drafting or acquiring undersized DE's and LB's for years. Nix even pointed this out in a not so subtle way in his initial presser. Size, strength and speed are the keys to a solid defense in the NFL.

I will likely never warm to the Maybin pick, but I don't doubt that a full NFL off-season conditioning program can do wonders for his size/strength.

No matter how hard he worked out before he reported to camp last year -- it likely wasn't as good as supervision from a pro NFL team (Bills staff or not).

Guess it would be beneficial to get a strength and conditioning coach in ASAP.

He's more like 225 to 235 and that was confirmed by someone near the end of the season. WAYYYYYY too lean for a DE.

My sons friend goes to Penn st. and he told us that he could not believe Maybins size. He said that my son who weighs about 215 5-11 and works out . Looked much bigger than Money Maybin. He cannot believe that Maybin is a 1st rd De. He last saw him in late summer at the waffle house in state colledge.

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Their scheme to give up 250 yards rushing per game and get no pressure on the QB?

ALL of those guys are too small.