BobbyC81

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some physical stats from NFL.com:

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Schobel- 6-4, 243 (if Maybin is small, what is Schobel?)

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Maybin put on a lot of muscle between the end of his last college season and the Combine. He likely can add some more.

Yes, the Bills DEs are on the small side weight-wise compared to the average NFL DE but that's what fit their scheme.

its not the size.its the dumb draft choice.

Smallness may be an issue of some kind. I think the bigger issue is the fact that sucks at professional football. Otherwise he would have earned a lot more playing time or perhaps been moved to linebacker given the rash of injuries we had at linebacker.

Since the Bills assigned him an LB jersey #58 rather than the usual DL # in the 70s or 80s I had figured right from the start they were planing on ultimately employing him as an LB. Their usage plan was sidetracked by the extended time it took to sign him.

I expect with the off-season voluntary workouts and next season Maybin will be employed as a heavier than the norm LB rather than a lighter than the norm DE. I suspect this has always been the plan though it was never implemented in this lost season.

Maybe he needs a couple of years like the draft pundits thought. Would that be a possibility?

Yes it is.

However most of the pundits that pundicated said he was too small (light) for the position he's playing. So far, that appears to be true.

He's way too young to be judged yet. Some guys take a little while. If, in a few years, he still isn't putting up numbers, then we can say he wasn't worth it. Let's just wait and see what a new scheme and another year of conditioning, weights, and training camp will do, not to mention having experience at this level. We might be able to consider him another 2010 draft pick, if the new team goes to a 3-4, he's the exact type we'd look for in an OLB. In a 4-3 he'd be a Peppers type. Either way, I think, after hearing his response to questions, he'll be alright.

Since the Bills assigned him an LB jersey #58 rather than the usual DL # in the 70s or 80s I had figured right from the start they were planing on ultimately employing him as an LB. Their usage plan was sidetracked by the extended time it took to sign him.

I expect with the off-season voluntary workouts and next season Maybin will be employed as a heavier than the norm LB rather than a lighter than the norm DE. I suspect this has always been the plan though it was never implemented in this lost season.

Okay. But . . . is he big enough to play OLB in a 3-4? Bryce Paup played at 250. Cornelius Bennett played at 240, but that was in a different era when players were a little smaller. I suspect that Maybin probably needs to add 20 pounds at least to be a 3-4 OLB.

I will likely never warm to the Maybin pick, but I don't doubt that a full NFL off-season conditioning program can do wonders for his size/strength.

No matter how hard he worked out before he reported to camp last year -- it likely wasn't as good as supervision from a pro NFL team (Bills staff or not).

He gained 25 lbs of pure muscle in like, 2 or 3 months.

If that was not suspicious enough, what are you suggesting he does to add another 25? Just hitting the ol gym and taking some whey protein and creatine?

hmm and everyone on that list sucks... to counteract the schobel worshipers on this board - i'll say that he's at least average

I would rate Schobel average to above average- certainly no superstar but the best DE on the team. As far as Ellis- did he even play this year? The FO has to get better find talent in the third and fourth rounds (as well as first and second).

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

Maybin put on a lot of muscle between the end of his last college season and the Combine. He likely can add some more.

Yes, the Bills DEs are on the small side weight-wise compared to the average NFL DE but that's what fit their scheme.

I stood next to him at a sports dinner in Rochester. He's small for a DE. Small frame, narrow hips and looks more like a linebacker. Schobel just seems thicker in size. I just can't see this guy pushing a OL around.

Maybin- 6-4, 250

Kelsay- 6-4, 261

C.Ellis- 6-4, 261

A) Maybin is not 250.

B) Maybin may be an ok size, but he is most certainly too weak, and plays with no leverage, which makes him seem even weaker. Size and strength are often confused.

He gained 25 lbs of pure muscle in like, 2 or 3 months.

If that was not suspicious enough, what are you suggesting he does to add another 25? Just hitting the ol gym and taking some whey protein and creatine?

A professional strength-gaining program. And yeah, whey and creatine will likely be part of it, but a fairly small part. The guy is 21, correct? Putting on weight will not be that difficult for him. His goal in his first program was to weight a good-looking 250 at the combine. He accomplished that.

His goal this time around will be to add significantly to his strength and to add AND KEEP 20 pounds or so while not losing speed. He succeeded last time. He will succeed this time.

If this scouting breakdown doesn't spark a bit of WTF, nothing probably would.

Analysis

Positives: Tall with a frame to add a needed 10-15 pounds of muscle in his upper body. Superior quickness off the snap on wide rushes. Combines speed and length to challenge offensive tackles in passing situations. Very good straight-line speed to chase plays down the line or hustle downfield. Keeps cut blocks off his knees, recovers and maintains balance. Great length and vertical to affect passing lanes. Dropped into zone coverage often, got into his zone in a hurry when decisive. Breaks down in space and can change direction in the backfield to handle cutbacks and misdirection. Improving his hand usage as a pass rusher.

Negatives: A bit thin in the hips and might not grow into a defensive end build. Does not always use his length to get off offensive tackle or tight end blocks. Lacks the strength to bull rush. Runs stiff and upright, looks much better straight-ahead than laterally. Doesn't turn the corner as fast as you'd like because of his inflexible lower body. Needs more pass-rush moves. Always runs straight up the field, allowing tackles to direct him around the pocket. Demoted to backup status during the week of the Rose Bowl for undisclosed reasons.

Compares To: PARYS HARALSON, San Francisco -- Maybin could eventually develop into another Chad Brown (Colorado; Pittsburgh Steelers) at the next level, but the NFL's love for pass rushers, rather than looking at the "complete" picture has spelled doom and gloom for a lot of teams taking "tweeners" early in the draft. Undersized defensive ends often fail to adjust to life as outside linebackers. Could Maybin be the next flash in the pan? If used strictly as an edge rusher, he brings good value, but that is not why teams pay a hefty price to ink a first-round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/aar...layers-analysis

Ran a 4.9 at the combine? "Parys Haralson" -- nice journeyman player but for a top pick? :oops: "Doom and gloom"? "Often fail"? :thumbsup:

Most of what is said here is still true. He has no strength, runs upright, can't dip and run, can't get off blocks, runs straight up the field every time, has no moves...