AP Calls Race for Brown!

BillsNYC

Fixed for you. Note: they put numbers next to the dots so it's easier to figure out how to connect them. At least pretend you can see them.

Why is the WH discussing this if the massive upset last night had nothing to do with health care reform?

I wonder if perhaps this MA Dem. meltdown may have to do less with health care and higher taxes then the image the Democrats standard bearer is presenting? After all Mass. voters have proven for decades they have no concern with taxes, as long as a liberal agenda is advanced.

Possibly they are as disgusted as most Americans by the sight of their Commander in Chief bowing and scraping to Foreign leaders, and apologizing for the US to European audiences?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that polls convincingly show that the majority of Americans support health care reform, but also the majority of Americans do not support the health care reform that has been proposed.

Only now that Washington's hand may be forced might they go back to the drawing board and put together a solution that is sensible. We'll see.

No most Americans are for controlling health care insurance costs. Not reforming the whole system

According to what I heard, much of the MA voters are very dissatisfied with the state health care, which did nothing to cut costs (and may have raised them). And as the MA health care is supposedly very similar to the federal plan, this then could be considered a referendum on such.

Again, according to what I heard; I haven't looked into it in depth.

I am licensed in Massachussets and I will tell you that the priced for their Medicare Supplements are on the order of 40% higher than, say, New Hampshire's.

I wonder if perhaps this MA Dem. meltdown may have to do less with health care and higher taxes then the image the Democrats standard bearer is presenting? After all Mass. voters have proven for decades they have no concern with taxes, as long as a liberal agenda is advanced.

Possibly they are as disgusted as most Americans by the sight of their Commander in Chief bowing and scraping to Foreign leaders, and apologizing for the US to European audiences?

I spent a lot of time listening to people who were interviewed about their decision, and it overwhelmingly came down to health care. As I've mentioned previously, they have health care in Mass. so why elect someone who will give them higher federal taxes for something they already have? Another interesting thing I took from those interviews were the number of people who were leaning toward Coakley, but who simply detested her hate compaign. The negative ads lost her a bunch of votes.

Strategically, however, I learned something last night from, of all people, Barney Frank, who said Coakley lost because she failed to define Scott Brown. He said that should have been the first order of business after she won the primaries. Instead, she took time off, and Brown had weeks to define himself, and by then, it became a personality contest, and Coakley can't win a personality contest.

But, in the end, the fact that so many Dems today are suggesting a retreat on the health care bill speaks volumes.

I don't think this is as great as the GOP thinks, or as bad as the Democrats think. I didn't particularly follow the race, but I'm all for checks and balances. I see that the far right hates Obama...the far left is disgusted with him...so he's pretty much right where he needs to be, in the middle with most of the rest of America.

I would imagine that the MA Democrats probably assumed that given it was Teddy's seat they were a shoo-in. Big mistake. But after all, the 60/40 split came as a result of the Franken takeover in MN.

Unless the Republicans in the House and Senate plan to absolutely roadblock everything for three years (which would be a big mistake for them), this will just make things a little more interesting.

I spent a lot of time listening to people who were interviewed about their decision, and it overwhelmingly came down to health care. As I've mentioned previously, they have health care in Mass. so why elect someone who will give them higher federal taxes for something they already have? Another interesting thing I took from those interviews were the number of people who were leaning toward Coakley, but who simply detested her hate compaign. The negative ads lost her a bunch of votes.

Strategically, however, I learned something last night from, of all people, Barney Frank, who said Coakley lost because she failed to define Scott Brown. He said that should have been the first order of business after she won the primaries. Instead, she took time off, and Brown had weeks to define himself, and by then, it became a personality contest, and Coakley can't win a personality contest.

But, in the end, the fact that so many Dems today are suggesting a retreat on the health care bill speaks volumes.

I also think calling Curt Schilling a Yankee's fan helped much either. :lol:

Actually, as someone who was barraged by the ads for the last few months, it was more a scare campaign than hate.

Probably the main item was Coakley trying to distort Brown's record on "denying abortion rights to rape victims" that had an air of truth, but not the fullness of truth. Brown sponsored legislation that would allow medical/pharm personnel to not prescribe abortion drugs, etc. I believe it also required someone who would to be on duty. This has been a hot-button in many races.

To be fair, Coakley's "negative" ads were about trying to scare voters away, not personal attacks, as such. The level of acrimony b/w them was pretty damn low as Senate races go. Brown won on the issues. That fact should scare the pants off of the DC Dems.

Unless by "hate campaign," you mean Coakley calling Curt 'Bloody Sock' Schilling a Yankees fan on live radio. :lol: In Boston, that's nigh unforgivable.

Fixed for you. Note: they put numbers next to the dots so it's easier to figure out how to connect them. At least pretend you can see them.

Why is the WH discussing this if the massive upset last night had nothing to do with health care reform?

because the WH is not in Massachusetts. Also, everyone keeps asking them that in their questions.

No rational thinking person would vote for that monstrosity.

So you think the people that think the way you do are rational and the people who don't, aren't. I am definitely for reform, but the people against it have a completely, clear and valid point.

I find the way this whole thing played out to be very intriguing. Ironic that the whole country went way left in the presidential election and Mass. is the state that probably will block health care reform. A couple friends and I were laughing about that last night.

Never boring, is it?

Unless by "hate campaign," you mean Coakley calling Curt 'Bloody Sock' Schilling a Yankees fan on live radio. :lol: In Boston, that's nigh unforgivable.

John Stewart did a funny bit on Coakley the other night. One of his bits was "When Martha Coakley was asked what her favorite cream pie is, she answered 'banana.' " :thumbsup:

I don't think this is as great as the GOP thinks, or as bad as the Democrats think. I didn't particularly follow the race, but I'm all for checks and balances. I see that the far right hates Obama...the far left is disgusted with him...so he's pretty much right where he needs to be, in the middle with most of the rest of America.

I would imagine that the MA Democrats probably assumed that given it was Teddy's seat they were a shoo-in. Big mistake. But after all, the 60/40 split came as a result of the Franken takeover in MN.

Unless the Republicans in the House and Senate plan to absolutely roadblock everything for three years (which would be a big mistake for them), this will just make things a little more interesting.

There is some truth to that, in regards to the checks in balances argument. Most voters don't like the presidents agenda, most voters are disgusted with the backroom deals that have been going on and are disillusioned with the promise of "change" and "transparency" that has yet to have been realized.

So there is a large segment of the public that feel as if their voice has been lost, and that by voting in the "other" party, it allows that voice to be heard a wee bit louder. So, I do agree that it is part of the reason why Brown was elected, but only a part.

And it didn't hurt, I'm sure, that Brown was Cosmopolitan Magazine's "Sexiest Man" in 1982. Hopefully there's a brain in there somewhere ... based on the photo spread, there wasn't much else for him to hang a hat on. Not much hanging at all really.

And it didn't hurt, I'm sure, that Brown was Cosmopolitan Magazine's "Sexiest Man" in 1982. Hopefully there's a brain in there somewhere ... based on the photo spread, there wasn't much else for him to hang a hat on. Not much hanging at all really.

:lol:

Oh the bitterness. I'm sure you're repulsed at the fact that "civilized" "first world" blue-staters elected a REPUBLICAN of all people to the gilded seat formerly occupied by Teddy Kennedy.

Common, you can do better than that!! :lol:

Lack of a brain didn't stop Reid, Pelosi, Kerry, Biden, etc.... from getting elected.

Damn, you have a special way of dragging political discourse into the shitter. Either it's Bush's fault or the Republicans must be stupid.

Never gets old.

Dude, this is a state that regularly elected Ted Kennedy and John Kerry.

Looks and good teeth play little to no part in deciding who to vote for here. Maybe it's a big deal where you're from --- I don't know.