Should the League intervene w/ the Bills?

Let's just assme for a minute that the various reports out there are true, and that Shanny, Cowher, Rivera, Weiss, Schotty Jr. and Sr., Harbaugh, and now Frazier have said "thanks but no thanks" to the Bills, leaving them almost completely out of viable options to fill their head coaching vacancy. Should the rest of the League sit tight while one of its storied franchises just whithers on the vine and slowly dies? Can the League even do anything at this point? You would think that Goodell, an activist Commissioner if there ever was one (not to mention a WNY alumn), might consider geting involved, at least behind-the-scenes, to assist with this situation before it becomes a full-fledged trainwreck. I'm sure the other owners don't care too much about a small market team in a dying region, but it has to be at least a bit of an embarassment to the League and also a concern that the competitiveness of the game is threatened if one of its franchise can't fill its coaching vacancy. Perhaps the League could push Ralph to change his management style, or to publicly announce an ownership transition/contingency plan to assure potential candidates. SOMETHING has to be done if these reports are true. If I was another owner, I'd be half amused and half incensed by this. Small market or not, every other owner has some financial interest in the Bills' success, at least in the short-term before they move. Just a thought.

Let's just assme for a minute that the various reports out there are true, and that Shanny, Cowher, Rivera, Weiss, Schotty Jr. and Sr., Harbaugh, and now Frazier have said "thanks but no thanks" to the Bills, leaving them almost completely out of viable options to fill their head coaching vacancy. Should the rest of the League sit tight while one of its storied franchises just whithers on the vine and slowly dies? Can the League even do anything at this point? You would think that Goodell, an activist Commissioner if there ever was one (not to mention a WNY alumn), might consider geting involved, at least behind-the-scenes, to assist with this situation before it becomes a full-fledged trainwreck. I'm sure the other owners don't care too much about a small market team in a dying region, but it has to be at least a bit of an embarassment to the League and also a concern that the competitiveness of the game is threatened if one of its franchise can't fill its coaching vacancy. Perhaps the League could push Ralph to change his management style, or to publicly announce an ownership transition/contingency plan to assure potential candidates. SOMETHING has to be done if these reports are true. If I was another owner, I'd be half amused and half incensed by this. Small market or not, every other owner has some financial interest in the Bills' success, at least in the short-term before they move. Just a thought.

We are not out of viable options . To your point about the league stepping in. I Remeber that when The Giants were god awful for like 15 years in a row, the league basically put George young and Wllington Mara together. Those were very different times .

We are not out of viable options . To your point about the league stepping in. I Remeber that when The Giants were god awful for like 15 years in a row, the league basically put George young and Wllington Mara together. Those were very different times .

I think it used to have more of an activist/group mentality but some of that went away when Al Davis decided to sue the NFL. Ralph's a lot of things but he does not appear to be litigious. Hopefully someone in Manhattan is paying attention to this embarassing turn of events and they're already working on it.

I think it used to have more of an activist/group mentality but some of that went away when Al Davis decided to sue the NFL. Ralph's a lot of things but he does not appear to be litigious. Hopefully someone in Manhattan is paying attention to this embarassing turn of events and they're already working on it.

It should have went something like this

Ralph meet Mr acorsi, ( or fill in the blanks with a well connected league elder), he is going to be your best friend this year and help you hire a front office and a coach.

I still believe in the conspiracy theory that the league and Ralphie want to destroy the fan base so they can say look at the lousy attendance and say nobody cares and move the team to Toronto or LA.

I still believe in the conspiracy theory that the league and Ralphie want to destroy the fan base so they can say look at the lousy attendance and say nobody cares and move the team to Toronto or LA.

they might get their wish

then again get a head coach, left tackle and Mcnabb and all the sudden we are 8-6 playing important games in December

did i just say that out loud

get the commisioner involved to hire a coach??......IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

guaranteed 100% the bills will hire a coach.

you may or may not like the choice.....but they will hire one....all on their own.

Are the Bills on the verge of insolvency? Are there no takers for the organization or not markets to put an NFL team in at this time?

No and No.

The league would have no business getting involved with the Bills at this time. The team is still making money. Although, not as much as it could if it moved to a larger market. And there in lay the answer you seek, this organization will eventually leave WNY for a larger market, its the nature of business and the Bills and NFL are a business.

I really don't see all of the uproar over this team leaving the area. Any business will attempt to elevate its bottom line, its inherent in all business. There are 32 teams to choose to root for or be a fan of, that team doesn't necessarily have to be in WNY.

I understand he pride issue, but lets stop pretending the area is what it was 40 years ago or more. This area has declined in population, industry has left, a shrinking job market and this all continues to this day. Its not as though any of this should surprise any of us. If anything, people should be looking at the local leadership (city/county leaders) as well as the State government and the policies they implemented to allow this to happen.

The Bills had a great run while they were here, the NFL isn't going to prevent them from leaving, they can absorb the market hit that will occur from the fans bitterness here and they will actually be enlarging their customer base in a larger market by moving the team. Its just common sense in the free market society.

Dude, what don't you get? The league has intervened and that is why the Bills can't get a coach.

Why get the commissioner involved? Simply keep lowering your standards until someone says yes. Kinda funny how low we've already gone and still can't get the tiniest nibble...the fun is seeing how much lower on the food chain this will need to get before they can find a willing dance partner!

I know one thing, it'll sure be the ugliest girl at the dance.

This is a very intelligent post, in my opinion. However, the other posters may be correct in pointing out that many of the other owners might want to see the Bills leave Buffalo, in which case there might not be any effort by the league to make assurances of geographical or ownership stability. Still, it can't be good for the league to have an old AFL franchise like this falling apart at the seams.

This is ridiculous. Even if all of those did say no, so what? There are still a ton of viable candidates out there some of which have said they are interested. Other viable candidates who have not said no:

Brian Billick

Jim Fassel

Bill Cowher

Dom Capers

the Mooch

Bill Callahan

Rob Ryan

Dennis Green

Ted Cottrell

Jason Garrett

Mike Martz

Marv Levy

Mike Zimmer

Mike Leach

Marty S

Marc Trestman

Mike Heimerdinger (I like that this guy changes his game based on the players in the game)

Kirk Ferentz

Karl Dorrell (Would have the added benefit that he knows the ins and out of Dolphins offense)

Pat Shurmur

Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints OC)

Not saying they're all great or even that I want any of them. But to say there are no more viable candidates out there are just plain silly.