Bills want an offensive minded coach

FluffHead

It's pretty obvious it's gonna be Frazier or Grimm, and for some reason I don't see Grimm coming. I'd definitely like him though. If they want offensive minded and don't go for Frazier just because of that sticking point, I'm not so sure I'd be happy if it was a lesser talent just because he's on offense

I like this news as it means they aren't "settling" for Frazier and are still actively searching, despite the setbacks. With basically a decade of offensive woes to their credit, the Bills need to make an offensive splash. They've had a run game at times, but they haven't put it all together on offense since the brief glimmer of Gilbride's gimmicks. I will say that if Frazier comes with Saunders I could warm up to the idea, too.

They should really go after Garrett, if JJ will let him talk. Garrett does get the benefit of JJ's blank checkbook. However, if the Bills are in fact prepared to spend, everybody works under the same salary cap (presuming the CBA stays -- admittedly a BIG "if"). The money and opportunity to mold this roster is available, and Nix should be a good partner in identifying cheap young talent if his record is to be trusted.

There is no question that Garrett is a good architect of offense, given that Wade is a defensive guy to the core. He's done it with a combination of unheralded and "name" talent. Get on the phone, Buddy/Ralph/Russ/whomever is calling the shots.

PS - say no to Billick. His demonstrated lack of acumen in identifying NFL QBs is a huge minus.

I think Clyde Christensen is on the Bills radar screen. He's the one they are waiting to interview. Unfortunately, he's with the Colts.

He fits what they are looking to do, more so than Frazier or Grimm.

Christensen would bring along Metz to coach the o-line.

Ralph Wilson has stated for the record he has no preference whether his new coach has an offensive or defensive background.

jw

based on the rate of rejection by candidates, I think the updated standard for our new coach is that when you put a mirror under his nose, it fogs up.

This article also points out that the Bills are wasting valuable time...not just in setting up a coaching staff, but in preparing the offseason plan in terms of players to target, interview and prioritize for the new staff.

what valuable time. even if Leslie Frazier is the guy, or Grimm, or Garrett, they're all in the playoffs. the Bills can't hire them now until they're done. ... either way, they'll have to wait.

jw

I like this news as it means they aren't "settling" for Frazier and are still actively searching, despite the setbacks. With basically a decade of offensive woes to their credit, the Bills need to make an offensive splash. They've had a run game at times, but they haven't put it all together on offense since the brief glimmer of Gilbride's gimmicks. I will say that if Frazier comes with Saunders I could warm up to the idea, too.

They should really go after Garrett, if JJ will let him talk. Garrett does get the benefit of JJ's blank checkbook. However, if the Bills are in fact prepared to spend, everybody works under the same salary cap (presuming the CBA stays -- admittedly a BIG "if"). The money and opportunity to mold this roster is available, and Nix should be a good partner in identifying cheap young talent if his record is to be trusted.

There is no question that Garrett is a good architect of offense, given that Wade is a defensive guy to the core. He's done it with a combination of unheralded and "name" talent. Get on the phone, Buddy/Ralph/Russ/whomever is calling the shots.

PS - say no to Billick. His demonstrated lack of acumen in identifying NFL QBs is a huge minus.

The head coach is supposed to be the CEO of the coaching staff/players, not the architect of the offense

what valuable time. even if Leslie Frazier is the guy, or Grimm, or Garrett, they're all in the playoffs. the Bills can't hire them now until they're done. ... either way, they'll have to wait.

jw

I just think there are qualified candidates who are available now. I really think getting the right personel will make any coach look good.

Frazier seems like the safety pick. I think that they will interview Grimm and if they like what they see and he wants the job they will likely pick Grimm. Other then Grimm I don't know who else there is out there. Garret is going to come with a huge price tag considering the fact that he is already getting paid 3 million to be the OC on Dallas.

So other then Grimm or Garret I don't know who they would go with. Christenson of the Colts could be a under the radar candidate BUT if they were interested in him then wouldn't they have set up an interview with him during the Colts Bye week?

My reed on the situation is they are using Frazier as the safety net while they look at Grimm as the other possibility for the job.

Thank god someone in the Org is talking an offensive mind, even if Wilson doesn't admit they need one.

I wouldn't mind Steve Mariucci-Cam Cameron-Brian Billick- Jason Garrett as the next Bills head coach. Only Cameron has mentored QB's with great success, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees and now Joe flacco.

Thank god someone in the Org is talking an offensive mind, even if Wilson doesn't admit they need one.

I wouldn't mind Steve Mariucci-Cam Cameron-Brian Billick- Jason Garrett as the next Bills head coach. Only Cameron has mentored QB's with great success, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees and now Joe flacco.

well, keep in mind they need the "right" offensive mind to coach here in Buffalo, given the environment.

does anyone think Mike Martz's pass-happy attack will work here in November or December? c'mon.

would Drew Brees be as accomplished playing here in Buffalo as he is spending half the season in a dome?

that's why i though BSchott fit. Grimm might, too. but to hire an offensive-minded coach for knee-jerk's sake doesn't make any sense.

jw