Interesting Take

I don't think anyone could argue that having Marty on board, whether it be a coaching job (unlikely) or a consulting job (very likely if his son gets the HC spot) is anything other than a great move.

It would tear down the Jets even more with Brian Schottenheimer taking a few good Jets assistants with him. Uncle Kurt is also out there to work with him.

Maybe we'll have news once the Jets lose in SD this weekend.

Could this have been the plan all along? Maybe Buddy figured out early on if Marty didn't want to be a full time HC that his son Brian was the guy he wanted? It's obvious that if Nix and Schottenheimer have been close personal friends then Nix would have known Brian, he's probably known him since he was a kid!

Perhaps this whole Shanahan/Cowher thing was a giant ruse. You interview the two biggest names out there, ask them what they would do to fix the team (therein gathering useful insight) and wait for your main guy to be free to interview.

I realize this is tying a lot of strings together but it would make sense in light of Cowher's unwillingness to make any statements on the issue.

Based on all of the advantages, it seems foolish that B. Schottenheimer wouldn't view the HC position as a huge opportunity. His knowledge of not only the Jets, but the entire division, links to Buddy Nix, achievement of developing a young QB into a playoff winner and now a glowing endorsement from his team's HC should make him the realistic front-runner from the Bills standpoint. Not to mention some potential FA's he could bring along...

QB Kellen Clemens UFA

RB Leon Washington UFA

FB Tony Richardson UFA

WR David Clowney UFA

WR Braylon Edwards UFA

WR Brad Smith UFA

TE James Dearth UFA

PK Jay Feely UFA

OL Robert Turner RFA

DL Mike DeVito RFA

DL Howard Green UFA

LB Jason Trusnik RFA

CB Drew Coleman UFA

SS Abram Elam UFA

FS Eric Smith UFA

Chris Brown is the spokesperson for the Bills. Why is anybody treating this like "speculation"?

That is false. While he works for the Bills, and he is paid to increase the visibility and postive image of the Bills, he is not a spokesperson and the team doesn't even use him to break news.

Could this have been the plan all along? Maybe Buddy figured out early on if Marty didn't want to be a full time HC that his son Brian was the guy he wanted? It's obvious that if Nix and Schottenheimer have been close personal friends then Nix would have known Brian, he's probably known him since he was a kid!

Perhaps this whole Shanahan/Cowher thing was a giant ruse. You interview the two biggest names out there, ask them what they would do to fix the team (therein gathering useful insight) and wait for your main guy to be free to interview.

I realize this is tying a lot of strings together but it would make sense in light of Cowher's unwillingness to make any statements on the issue.

Could you connect the dots for me? How does any of this explain Cowher's silence?

Could you connect the dots for me? How does any of this explain Cowher's silence?

My assumption would be that Cowher has already told the Bills that he's not interested. He and the Bills reached a mutual agreement not to confirm or deny anything other than that they met.

I'm really starting to believe that the Bills thought their chances of landing Shanny or Cowher were very low so they came up with a plan B that involved Buddy Nix and his connections to the Schottenheimer family.