Interesting Take

Could you connect the dots for me? How does any of this explain Cowher's silence?

Maybe the fact that the Bills have not even offered him anything yet. It could also explain Adam Schefter's report that Cowher would not be coaching the Bills. Who knows? Official speculation from BB.com?

What I wouldn't get though is why would Cowher play along as a second fiddle, if Brian Schott. has been their man all along?

My assumption would be that Cowher has already told the Bills that he's not interested. He and the Bills reached a mutual agreement not to confirm or deny anything other than that they met.

I'm really starting to believe that the Bills thought their chances of landing Shanny or Cowher were very low so they came up with a plan B that involved Buddy Nix and his connections to the Schottenheimer family.

This makes even better sense.

My assumption would be that Cowher has already told the Bills that he's not interested. He and the Bills reached a mutual agreement not to confirm or deny anything other than that they met.

I'm really starting to believe that the Bills thought their chances of landing Shanny or Cowher were very low so they came up with a plan B that involved Buddy Nix and his connections to the Schottenheimer family.

why would they conspire to silence? "mutual agreement" they had no such agreement with Shanahan.

I suspect they are still smoking Cowher out. If he is going to coach this year, he better start acting like it.

Could this have been the plan all along? Maybe Buddy figured out early on if Marty didn't want to be a full time HC that his son Brian was the guy he wanted? It's obvious that if Nix and Schottenheimer have been close personal friends then Nix would have known Brian, he's probably known him since he was a kid!

Perhaps this whole Shanahan/Cowher thing was a giant ruse. You interview the two biggest names out there, ask them what they would do to fix the team (therein gathering useful insight) and wait for your main guy to be free to interview.

I realize this is tying a lot of strings together but it would make sense in light of Cowher's unwillingness to make any statements on the issue.

I find this interesting.. I have thought about this a little to but I couldn't put it into better words.

I think the Schottenheimer's (Both Marty and Brain) are the leading candidates. But I just have a gut feeling that Marty will be in a front office position.

If everyone remembers, last week when the same day they interviewed Leslie Frazier reports suggested that the Bills where close to signing a HC and have had their guy. Maybe they spoke to Frazier about another position? Assistant HC/Defensive Coordinator possibly?

Too many stories can be made on this, that my head is spinning. So much speculation

Maybe its a done deal? Schottenheimer in Buffalo? Just speculation of course but Rex Ryans comments are kind of hinting and the Bills job is the only one opened

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/01/12/r...t-very-telling/

Things change as the playoffs continue. Did Wade save his job even if the Vikings win this week? If not, and the Cowboys go down badly, everyone then looks to Dallas if Jerry throws out Phillips. What happens in Jacksonville if Del Rio does take the USC job? And of course there is always Oakland, they may suck as bad as Buffalo and their owner is crazier then Ralph. But they do have nice weather and are right across the bay from lovely San Fran.

Bottom line, Brian and Dad don't need to make a decision until after the SB and the dust finally settles on every teams' coaching staff.

Seems like an awful lot of weight is being thrown into these comments when an interview hasn't even taken place yet.

I'm not sure how much "weight" I'd assign to my comments. More like I'm thinking out loud.

What I would assign weight to is a relationship. Buddy Nix has known Marty for much of his adult life. They didn't just know each other, they ate dinner, played golf and hung out together. I think this means it's safe to assume that Buddy would have a very comfortable knowledge of who Brian is.

When you look at your own real life relationships who would you go after, someone you don't know or someone you've known most of your life?

I would take it one step further. Cowher has until Sunday night to accept whatever contract is out there. If the Jets and Minnesota lose and Cowher has accepted the agreement, then a news conference will be called for Tues or Wed. to announce the new HC B. Schottenheimer or Frazier. Scenario 2, if both teams win Cowher lives another week. Scenario 3, if one team wins and the other loses, and the losing team's coordinator is not named HC, then that Co-ord is eliminated. :thumbdown:

I don't think anyone could argue that having Marty on board, whether it be a coaching job (unlikely) or a consulting job (very likely if his son gets the HC spot) is anything other than a great move.

I agree. Who would want a hard-nosed, former Bills player who has a good winning percentage as a head coach? Anything but great right?