Why Did Haslett Lose Favor So Fast?

ajzepp

watched tons of saints games when haslett was their coach. he single-handedly blew it for that team, game after game, season after season. one of the worst head coaches ever

This.

Those teams had a lot of talent and he just couldn't bring it together. I wouldn't exactly call him a "teacher" either.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm one of the few TBD'ers who would still be excited if Jim Haslett came home to coach the Bills. Several years ago, after Haslett's run as Pitt DC, I remember how high on the list he was for a lot of other folks around here. We used to speculate about whether he had a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave whatever position he was in if and when the Bills came calling. Now it seems like he's totally fallen out of favor. It's not like his record in N.O. was that bad, and we're talking about a team that, until recently, was pretty much a bottom dweller in the NFL. The St. Louis gig was only an interim basis, so he wasn't really going to get much accomplished there in such a short time.

The guy is one of US. He loves the Bills and he's got some experience as a head coach under his belt. Is there anyone else out there besides me who would be happy having him coach the Bills?

Because he isn't very good?

Didnt Haslett say Kent Hull used steroids? I think he ruined a lot of relationships when he publicly talked about Steroid use.

Yep. And they were bigger douches than ML is back in the day. You think ML is a douche... Now mix in 'roids that were prevalent in the late 1970's and into the 1980's. I know a few personal stories about how some of the old Bills' players would hit the town for a night out... Good thing there were good guy's like Isiah Robertson to diffuse the problems. Smerlas... Another douchbag.

Speaking for myself, one thing that marred his desirability WRT to coaching here, was the implications he made about Hull.

I agree with this. Back when I was an unrefined little pisspot, I thought it was hilarious when Haslett kicked Terry Bradshaw in the head. It wasn't; it was a punk move by a guy that is better at getting attention for himself than anything else. Just like his rambling about steroids.

people forget he sucked even worse as HC of the Rams

just stay away from these failed retreads

On your theory Marv never would have been hired in Buffalo. Marv sucked in KC but was great here with the right guy finding talent.

I think I'm one of the few TBD'ers who would still be excited if Jim Haslett came home to coach the Bills. Several years ago, after Haslett's run as Pitt DC, I remember how high on the list he was for a lot of other folks around here. We used to speculate about whether he had a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave whatever position he was in if and when the Bills came calling. Now it seems like he's totally fallen out of favor. It's not like his record in N.O. was that bad, and we're talking about a team that, until recently, was pretty much a bottom dweller in the NFL. The St. Louis gig was only an interim basis, so he wasn't really going to get much accomplished there in such a short time.

The guy is one of US. He loves the Bills and he's got some experience as a head coach under his belt. Is there anyone else out there besides me who would be happy having him coach the Bills?

Put aside all the other negatives about Haslett, the one that really matters is that he is not going to be able to attract top assistants. Most assistants aspire to be HC's or to have a long career in the same city and hitching your career to a proven loser is not a smart move.

That is really the main reason why a proven winner is so attractive here. It can not be underestimated how much the Bills hurt themselves by hiring "out of the box" candidates like Williams, Mularkey and Jauron. Those guys were neither "the hot coordinator" candidate or a proven winner and as a result they were saddled with overall, as bad a group of assistants as an NFL team has had this decade.

Yep. And they were bigger douches than ML is back in the day. You think ML is a douche... Now mix in 'roids that were prevalent in the late 1970's and into the 1980's. I know a few personal stories about how some of the old Bills' players would hit the town for a night out... Good thing there were good guy's like Isiah Robertson to diffuse the problems. Smerlas... Another douchbag.

You don't think performance drugs are even more prevalent today? Maybe they are just of higher quality? I have to believe thay are deeply entrenched in football. NFL, College, and lots of high school kids.

Just because they are tested for doesn't mean they aren't prevalent.

Just look at the players.

Look at the way guys come back from injury unbelievably quick.

there is no shortage of douchebags in the NFL

look at his record...

Put aside all the other negatives about Haslett, the one that really matters is that he is not going to be able to attract top assistants. Most assistants aspire to be HC's or to have a long career in the same city and hitching your career to a proven loser is not a smart move.

That is really the main reason why a proven winner is so attractive here. It can not be underestimated how much the Bills hurt themselves by hiring "out of the box" candidates like Williams, Mularkey and Jauron. Those guys were neither "the hot coordinator" candidate or a proven winner and as a result they were saddled with overall, as bad a group of assistants as an NFL team has had this decade.

Great point

I agree with this. Back when I was an unrefined little pisspot, I thought it was hilarious when Haslett kicked Terry Bradshaw in the head. It wasn't; it was a punk move by a guy that is better at getting attention for himself than anything else. Just like his rambling about steroids.

I still think it was funny.

But Haslett is a nutjob from a whole family full of Pennsyltucky nutjobs.

We shouldn't be NFL head coaches. :lol:

that's why Marty is the best option

he comes with his son who is a proven OC AND great developer of young QBs

I still think it was funny.

But Haslett is a nutjob from a whole family full of Pennsyltucky nutjobs.

We shouldn't be NFL head coaches. :lol:

:D

Well said, man....I hadnt' thought about that.

I wouldn't mind him being Brian Schottenhoemer's DC.

I know i havent earned a ton of credibility here yet.... so ill look for some links on this too....

part of why he was run out of new orleans was that the team was totally out of control. He had gotten a cheerleader pregnant, the locker room was a mess (players sleeping with other players wives). It was all kept hush hush around the league but if you dig, i have seen some info on it in the news. It was widely known here in new orleans though.