How many more O-lineman do you want to draft,

For all the folks that don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a QB because the line sucks, how many high picks do you want to spend on lineman, and how many more drafts, before you think it will be "safe" to pick a QB?

I think they can spend a first pick on a (worthy) QB, let him sit a season, and build a decent line in the meantime, but so many seem to think it would be a grand idea to draft more lineman and then pick a QB, wait around a couple years for him to develop, etc.

So lay out a time frame. You know, like "2 more drafts of a couple O-lineman high each year, then a QB that they can develop for a couple of seasons, and we'll be ready for the playoffs in 2015".

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the folks that don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a QB because the line sucks, how many high picks do you want to spend on lineman, and how many more drafts, before you think it will be "safe" to pick a QB?

I think they can spend a first pick on a (worthy) QB, let him sit a season, and build a decent line in the meantime, but so many seem to think it would be a grand idea to draft more lineman and then pick a QB, wait around a couple years for him to develop, etc.

So lay out a time frame. You know, like "2 more drafts of a couple O-lineman high each year, then a QB that they can develop for a couple of seasons, and we'll be ready for the playoffs in 2015".

Both a QB or an LT would be a great option, but most likely the two good QBs will be gone, as will the two good LTs. If your QB is there, I think you've got to get him now. IMHO we might be looking at the #3 LT, but the #3 QB is definitely a reach at #9. So we might be looking at McClain, Derrick Morgan or maybe the #3 LT, IMHO.

Therefore, I don't have a time-frame for you. Sorry. Personally, I don't mind sitting a QB for a year, if you think he needs it, though.

Assuming Eric Wood can return healthy for next year, I think that the only glaring hole is at LT. Now, that is a MAJOR

glaring hole as it is the most important position on the OL. I think Demetrius Bell is quite athletic, but he didn't show

much this year before getting hurt. Maybe another off-season of strength training and technique work will make him

a viable option, but I wouldn't want him to be plan A at LT going into next season.

I think a healthy Brad Butler could be adequate at RT and other options are easier to find at RT (by far) than at LT.

There is the rub. Good LTs don't come along very often and while they might have a shot at the #3 or 4 LT at pick

9 this year, it is a tough thing to use that high of a pick on a player who might never be more than an OK starter

at that important position.

QB is a similar situation where the Bills obviously have a huge problem. Again though, it is unlikely (in my opinion) that

they'll have a shot at a top QB by pick 9 and I'm not sure that I like any of the top QBs this year anyway. If Sam

Bradford is there, is he worth the pick? Do you like ND's Clausen? I'm not particularly sold on either. I'd consider

Tim Tebow in the 2nd round, but not at pick 9.

So, that leaves either settling for someone that is probably not worth a high pick at either of these two important

positions or going another direction with a player that the team feels much better about. I suspect that they will

almost have to go with another position rather than reach for a questionable LT or QB prospect. The D could sure

use another LB and Rolando McClain or Brandon Spikes will probably be available. Another DL (end or T) would

never hurt, either.

I guess that I didn't answer the question, but I think that they'll neither get their LT or QB - at least not in round 1

this year.

IMO, drafting a QB in the first round is like rolling the dice. For every success, there's a failure. Brady was a 6th round draft pick. So any time frame you might set can be blown up if the QB is a bust, and you're set back another two or three years.

Assuming Eric Wood can return healthy for next year, I think that the only glaring hole is at LT. Now, that is a MAJOR

glaring hole as it is the most important position on the OL. I think Demetrius Bell is quite athletic, but he didn't show

much this year before getting hurt. Maybe another off-season of strength training and technique work will make him

a viable option, but I wouldn't want him to be plan A at LT going into next season.

I think a healthy Brad Butler could be adequate at RT and other options are easier to find at RT (by far) than at LT.

There is the rub. Good LTs don't come along very often and while they might have a shot at the #3 or 4 LT at pick

9 this year, it is a tough thing to use that high of a pick on a player who might never be more than an OK starter

at that important position.

QB is a similar situation where the Bills obviously have a huge problem. Again though, it is unlikely (in my opinion) that

they'll have a shot at a top QB by pick 9 and I'm not sure that I like any of the top QBs this year anyway. If Sam

Bradford is there, is he worth the pick? Do you like ND's Clausen? I'm not particularly sold on either. I'd consider

Tim Tebow in the 2nd round, but not at pick 9.

So, that leaves either settling for someone that is probably not worth a high pick at either of these two important

positions or going another direction with a player that the team feels much better about. I suspect that they will

almost have to go with another position rather than reach for a questionable LT or QB prospect. The D could sure

use another LB and Rolando McClain or Brandon Spikes will probably be available. Another DL (end or T) would

never hurt, either.

I guess that I didn't answer the question, but I think that they'll neither get their LT or QB - at least not in round 1

this year.

I love Mcclain. I think he is cant miss. He would be hard not to take with just about anybody on the board at #9.

I think if Clausen or Bradford are there at 9 you pull the triger without hesitation(they wont be so i guess that is moot)

Pull the triger on Tebow only if he is available in the 3rd, if Pike and Lefeouver arent there, and we havent gotten either Bradford/Clausen(again wont happen) in the first or a QB in the second

IMO, drafting a QB in the first round is like rolling the dice. For every success, there's a failure. Brady was a 6th round draft pick. So any time frame you might set can be blown up if the QB is a bust, and you're set back another two or three years.

Drafting any player in any round is a roll of the dice. We need a franchise QB. If Nix identifies Bradford or Clausen as that guy, you have to do whatever it takes to get him in Rd1. If not, go O-line and then take a chance on one of the other guys later. I think they will find a QB either in Free ageny, trade or Round 1.

I think that Nix will go with a can't-miss LT or DT/DE before he addresses the QB situation. I think his approach is to solidify the lines first, then you can have a second tier QB (or an aging free agent vet) run your offense and be just fine. If I was GM the best blueprint for making the Bills better faster is to achieve a run-first offense with good OL play and a stout defense. This allows you to build efficiently without putting all your chips on "make-or-break" draft picks (see JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, etc.)

A competent OL can make an average QB look pretty good. Even getting "pretty good" QB play would do wonders for this franchise - and the most solid way to do this is to build a good OL.

I think that Nix will go with a can't-miss LT or DT/DE before he addresses the QB situation. I think his approach is to solidify the lines first, then you can have a second tier QB (or an aging free agent vet) run your offense and be just fine. If I was GM the best blueprint for making the Bills better faster is to achieve a run-first offense with good OL play and a stout defense. This allows you to build efficiently without putting all your chips on "make-or-break" draft picks (see JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, etc.)

A competent OL can make an average QB look pretty good. Even getting "pretty good" QB play would do wonders for this franchise - and the most solid way to do this is to build a good OL.

Wouldn't you put OLB and LT as our 2 biggest needs?

I think we need to take a tackle with the number nine pick. There are two or three very good ones in the draft this year who will likely go in the top ten or twelve. Buffalo should draft one of them at number nine. However, if Dan LeFevour is available in the second round at our pick, we would be crazy not to take him. He looks like the next Big Ben playing in the MAC. Barring LeFevour, Buffalo could take chance in the second on Tony Pike. If those two are unavailable, I think Buffalo needs to take an LB in the second or a DT. Lines are where the game is won and lost, assuming you have a decent QB, which Buffalo doesn't. Still, we need to build the lines, and I think Buffalo should take at least two lineman in the draft this year.

Why were the jets able to win yesterday?

Strong line play.

Mean defense.

Rookie QB.

Fix the line(s) then use a high pick on a QB.

I definitly think the line needs more rookies infront of mediocre QBing. The Bills losing is all the defences fault anyway cause of the Tampa 2.

You always draft linemen, offence or defence, early every year. Franchise QB's are a dime a dozen late in the draft, just look at Brady, no need to say more. First round QB's never work out. Just look at the Manning Brothers, Rivers, Rothelisburger, Flacco, Palmer, etc. First Round linemen are quaranteed unlike the QB's who are crap shoots, just ask Mike Williams

Wrong question. First, one doesn't just draft some quota of lineman and stop. Players may not develop, may get hurt, and will eventually move on. Depth is what separates elite teams from teams that have one good year before falling back to mediocrity. Second, one doesn't just draft a QB to check the "franchise QB" box on the wish list. The list of QBs that turned out to be busts is long and well documented. Reaching for a player just to check the QB box is how a team ends up with a JP Losman and sets itself back for 6 or 7 seasons.

Drafting any player in any round is a roll of the dice. We need a franchise QB. If Nix identifies Bradford or Clausen as that guy, you have to do whatever it takes to get him in Rd1. If not, go O-line and then take a chance on one of the other guys later. I think they will find a QB either in Free ageny, trade or Round 1.

My god our tackles were just AWFUL this year. Unless Suh falls to #9 (which he definitely won't), we have to take any LT stud that can step in and start immediately. We can get a right tackle in free agency, and take Lafever in the 2nd round if he is still there. We have so many holes to fill-DE,DT, LB's that we have to go heavy in free agency to make the draft as productive as possible. But my god, our OT's were as bad a group as I have EVER seen in the NFL.. And Bell is just horrible. He should not be on an NFL roster!!

This is a dumb argument...

Good players look good most of the time. If he is good enough, he will succeed. If he isn't, he won't. Having the great wall of china in front of him won't help if the QB sucks.

You draft the QB then build around him. What is the purpose of building a mansion when noone is living in it.

How about using the Jets as an example. They drafted a first round Center, drafted a first round LT signed vets at Guard and RT and had a vet already in the line. They FINISHED the line before they drafted the QB. I personally like that idea.

This is a dumb argument...

Good players look good most of the time. If he is good enough, he will succeed. If he isn't, he won't. Having the great wall of china in front of him won't help if the QB sucks.

You draft the QB then build around him. What is the purpose of building a mansion when noone is living in it.

J@k@zz!.

I was being sarcastic. This seems to be the number one argument on this board, so I want to hear the timeframe these O-line drafters think it will take to fix the line.

How about using the Jets as an example. They drafted a first round Center, drafted a first round LT signed vets at Guard and RT and had a vet already in the line. They FINISHED the line before they drafted the QB. I personally like that idea.

So we draft a QB three years from now, then develop him (of course, he will most likely be the next Mark Sanchez, or Matt ryan. Not the next Heath Shuler....)

Playoffs 2015 here we come!

It's only 5 years.....

We just need 1 Starter and that is a LT either at pick 9 or backing into late round 1. Wood and Butler should come back and round out the right side of the line.

As far as depth goes all we need to do is maybe draft a center in round 4 or 5 (Or if there is a solid backup center in free agency) and resign Incognito to join Bell and Meridith as the backups.

The way I see the starting O-line shaking out is 1st Round pick at LT, Levitre at LG, Hangman at C, Wood at RG, and Butler at RT. With Meridith and Bell the tackles off the bench, Incognito as the backup to Wood/insurance in case Wood takes longer to come back. Then we should go out and sign/draft another guard and center to round out the bench (Maybe consider resigning Simmons as a backup guard).

To me we just need to get the blindside some help and we should be good. Unlike last season where we had 5 starters never having played with each other the combo of Levitre-Hangman-Wood will have played 10 or so games with each other with Levitre and Hangartner having played the full 16 with each other. Butler only played a game and a half with the others but they did have the whole off season preparing with Butler plus the limited action they saw with him.

If we can get a impact rookie in round 1 or early round 2 at LT I think that our line is well set. I would be looking at Anthony Davis or Okung at pick 9 and Bruce Campbell or Brian Buluga somewhere in the late 1st round.