Flutie curse lifted

major

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, great find. Finally, something approaching proof that Wade was ordered to play Rob Johnson by Wilson.

I don't see this article as proof any more than Marcellus Wiley saying it on ESPN a dozen times. He doesn't quote anyone; it's just connect-the-dots.

Not that I don't believe it to be true.

Great, great find. Finally, something approaching proof that Wade was ordered to play Rob Johnson by Wilson.

Flutie was not that good in 99. The only reason the Bills made the playoffs was there defense. I believe they were the #1 defense in the NFL at the end of the year. I give Flutie all the credit for 98 but NFL defenses had him figured out in 99. From what I remember, the information at the time was that Phillips and the coaching staff were thinking about benching him midway through the season. And if anyone remembers that season, putting Johnson was not that unpopular of a call.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ey.3e7322c.html

From the Dallas Morning News- Flutie wants Wade Phillips to win. Pay close attention to what the article says about Bills management.

It was pretty common knowledge that management , including Ralph, was pushing for Johnson at some time. Remember he was the starting QB the previous season and that was Wade's choice. That game should be the "curse of not putting an emphasis on special teams" Wade was never a big ST guy.

I wanted Johnson. It seemed to be the right call at the time for the reason stated above.

The throw, 15 yds. to Peerless, on the move, one shoe off, across the body, across the field was incredible. I believe it was on the final drive. Johnson showed a lot of poise that day. Tennessee came after him like mad dogs. If you remember Bills were down 12-0 into the 3rd. I think that game changed RJ's career, it really could have been his defining moment had they won.

Right. A Dullass hometown Cowgirl beat reports pumps out an article about "The Curse" being lifted from the poor tainted-by-association with Bum's kid Wade. How pathetic are the Cowgirl fans to believe in that crap. They're spooked down there.

That said, I look for a Sully article soon with similar curse-lifting statements regarding The Bills. :w00t:

The throw, 15 yds. to Peerless, on the move, one shoe off, across the body, across the field was incredible. I believe it was on the final drive. Johnson showed a lot of poise that day. Tennessee came after him like mad dogs. If you remember Bills were down 12-0 into the 3rd. I think that game changed RJ's career, it really could have been his defining moment had they won.

Where do they find you people? Rob Johnson was the worst quarterback ever to play in the NFL. If you remember it was Flutie who came in and turned around the Bills '98 season after Johnson screwed it up showing his ineptitude as a quarterback. Flutie came in and instantly made everyone around him better and carried the team to the playoffs. Then he did the same thing the following season until they put Johnson in in the playoffs. That game never would have come down to a music city miracle if Flutie had started over Johnson IMO because Johnson routinely missed receivers on third downs, stalling drives and doing what he did best, get sacked! Starting Johnson over Flutie that game and running Flutie out of town was the WORST WORST WORST thing this franchise has ever done and listening to all you RJ homers is making me sick! :w00t:

Where do they find you people? Rob Johnson was the worst quarterback ever to play in the NFL. If you remember it was Flutie who came in and turned around the Bills '98 season after Johnson screwed it up showing his ineptitude as a quarterback. Flutie came in and instantly made everyone around him better and carried the team to the playoffs. Then he did the same thing the following season until they put Johnson in in the playoffs. That game never would have come down to a music city miracle if Flutie had started over Johnson IMO because Johnson routinely missed receivers on third downs, stalling drives and doing what he did best, get sacked! Starting Johnson over Flutie that game and running Flutie out of town was the WORST WORST WORST thing this franchise has ever done and listening to all you RJ homers is making me sick! :thumbsup:

Don't recall saying I was a RJ homer or that I agreed w/the decision you jack a$$. Where exactly did I say that? I commented on the fact he made a great throw to PP, was poised through out the game etc... Read the post. I said that could have been his defining moment. Never mentioned the rest of his career etc. BTW... the turn around in the 98 season started in game 4 w/ Johnson at QB vs. the 49's.

If I'm not mistaken Flutie only becomes QB after Johnson falls on the ball and hurts his ribs in Indy, another game they were winning with Johnson. Again, I'm not saying I was a fan of Johnson, I'm just pointing out things that actually happened back then at the time. Myself, I preferred Flutie back then. They would win ugly and he would do the little things. BTW Flutie didn't get run out of town until the new regime took over after 2000 season. Back then, I too thought they should have kept Flutie over Johnson but that wasn't what my post was about.

Don't recall saying I was a RJ homer or that I agreed w/the decision you jack a$$. Where exactly did I say that? I commented on the fact he made a great throw to PP, was poised through out the game etc... Read the post. I said that could have been his defining moment. Never mentioned the rest of his career etc. BTW... the turn around in the 98 season started in game 4 w/ Johnson at QB vs. the 49's.

If I'm not mistaken Flutie only becomes QB after Johnson falls on the ball and hurts his ribs in Indy, another game they were winning with Johnson. Again, I'm not saying I was a fan of Johnson, I'm just pointing out things that actually happened back then at the time. Myself, I preferred Flutie back then. They would win ugly and he would do the little things. BTW Flutie didn't get run out of town until the new regime took over after 2000 season. Back then, I too thought they should have kept Flutie over Johnson but that wasn't what my post was about.

Actually the worst thing this franchise ever did was to Fire Bill Polian. D U M B !

Where do they find you people? Rob Johnson was the worst quarterback ever to play in the NFL. If you remember it was Flutie who came in and turned around the Bills '98 season after Johnson screwed it up showing his ineptitude as a quarterback. Flutie came in and instantly made everyone around him better and carried the team to the playoffs. Then he did the same thing the following season until they put Johnson in in the playoffs. That game never would have come down to a music city miracle if Flutie had started over Johnson IMO because Johnson routinely missed receivers on third downs, stalling drives and doing what he did best, get sacked! Starting Johnson over Flutie that game and running Flutie out of town was the WORST WORST WORST thing this franchise has ever done and listening to all you RJ homers is making me sick! :wallbash:

Getting rid of Flutie was the BEST move they ever made. I hated him at QB. His run first and throw when he felt like it was a joke and every decent defense that he played figured him out and shut him down,

Getting rid of Flutie was the BEST move they ever made. I hated him at QB. His run first and throw when he felt like it was a joke and every decent defense that he played figured him out and shut him down,

I completely disagree. He found ways to win games but everyone was so hung up on his size and his age and they couldn't see the forest through the trees. The fact is, he was a winner. He was also the last quarterback to take us to the playoffs! Hello!? Yeah great decision to go with Rob "Ow, my ribs" Johnson, that really worked out for us. Flutie was winning games and had years left. We could have drafted a young qb and brought him along slowly while Flutie continued to win games for us until he retired as a Bill.

Flutie didn't help us win games in 99...talk off the midget-sized blinders and get off your butts sucking him off. He consistently left Andre and Moulds downfield wide open and tucked the ball and ran...drives ended and Mohr had to punt the ball away when a real QB (Van Pelt was the only one on the roster) would've thrown for an easy TD in those situations. The #1 defense in the NFL carried the 1999 Bills and everyone with even half a brain knows that.